New manager

I personally do not believe we need this, what we need is a manager who manages his players to their best.

Currently Carlos has his favourite 14 players who play every single game, when 1 is injured or unfit instead of replacing them he plays the others out of position as has happened with Bannan on the left wing, Pudil at centre back, Reach Left back.

A new manager comes in will see the squad he has at his disposal other than getting rid of the dead wood in Kean, Nuhui, Pudil, Hunt then not a lot of change is needed

Goal Keepers - Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson, Kean

Full backs - Fox, Pudil, Hunt, Palmer

Centre backs - Lees, Loovens, Van Aken, Venancio

Left wing - Reach, Matias

Right Wing - Wallace, Boyd

Central midfield - Lees, Bannan, Jones, Hutchinson, Abdi, Butterfield

Strikers - Fessi, Hooper, Jaoa, Fletcher, Nuihu, 

Now tell me how are we in 16th position with a squad like this - one answer bad management of players and stubbornness to play other players we have lost 4 of the last 5 against weaker teams but yet in those games the same 14 players have played with other than injuries it would be the same 11. We never give other players a chance to stake a claim for the first team and every game the same predicable plan and unbalanced midfield.

Bring in a new man with new ideas and with our squad we are a top 4 team. With a bit of luck and players in form such as Rhodes, Hooper we are a top 2 team.

5 hours ago, torres said:

This is why the youth players in this country - despite being up there with the worlds best

Not entirely relevant to the thread but they really aren't. We have a massive problem with coaching at youth level leaving our youngsters woefully short by the time they reach 21. The English delude themselves that our kids are good but raw talent is entirely wasted. To the FA's credit (spit) they recognised this a few years ago and are slowly bringing through better coaches.

2 hours ago, vulva said:

I'm not sure debating with the likes of you would be a valuable use of my time. 

You did start a thread during half term.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

gary megson rebuilds crap side in 6 months takes them to 3rd in the league ,beats bitterest & closest rivals ,signs best player we have in years and get the chance to play him in 1 game ....sacked 

I'm not sure Julian Bennett is as good as you remember him being?

5 hours ago, vulva said:

If it comes to it, and a new manager is required in the future, the mindset of fans needs to change. Gone are the days where you appoint a manager with a long term vision in mind. The likes of Ferguson and Wenger will never been seen again, where 1 man rules a club for decades. 

The future for managers in my opinion is short term, red Adair type appointments. We need to follow the model of Watford, Southampton and Chelsea, where they bring in a manager for a specific job, with a specific timeframe in mind. When that project is complete, move on, and appoint another manager to take the next step forward, with the skill set to move onto the next level. Watford are brilliant at this.

From the outside looking in, it looks like, a hire and fire strategy, but it's far more creative, This tactic keeps the manages motivated, players on their toes, and allows for flexibility if things go wrong. Players don't get 'connected' and 'chummy' with a manager which I think is one of the reasons why we have gone stale at S6. 

The issue at Hillsborough, unlike the above, is the lack of football structure behind it. If Carlos goes, we have to reshuffle, re recruit and reorganise most of the non playing staff. Southampton just change their head coach. Far more cost effective, and provides for better consistent throughout the club from youth level up.

Or the counter argument is, that you create a culture that the manager/head coach works around as opposed to the other way around. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

28 minutes ago, Bluestripe said:

Couldnt agree more with OP

Alongside the changing trends mentioned in OP, we see Koeman sacked after Everton invested 160 mill to compete - a lesson if ever there was one it’s just not about big money - just as important is to identify the right “fit” (great player management/relationships) and that is nowhere as easy as it sounds.

Why are modest-sized clubs able to do so well....Eddie Howe for Bournemouth, Sean Dyche for Burnley the German guy for Hudds etc..

i wouldn’t include Wilder, because he hasn’t yet achieved anything in Championship or higher.

The Burnley model is down to the manage being able to get more out of modest players, something Sam Alladyce did for years at Bolton it is an art when all around you are spending millions, I don't agree with Bournemouth being a small club their chairman has spent £100m of millions on their playing staff they have a small fan based and small ground which without the chairman they would be in the lower divisions. 

Evertons problem has been expectation raising with the new chairman, for years Moyes worked wonders with little or no money managing to finish in the top 10 and at the same time find gems in youth and develop average players.

Now they have money the fans expect instant success, I personally think they have made a mistake with Koeman as he proved at Southampton you give him time and he will build a very good team but that is the short termism of the premier League.

Just now, AwokenGiant said:

But the counter argument is that you create a culture that the manager/head coach works around as opposed to the other way around. 

But Carlos is too stubborn, look at our situation players not performing playing week in week out, youth players being given no first team change instead players not of the standard of the championship given game time or taking up the bench.

The same players playing week in week out even out of position when we have players waiting in the wings for a chance but not being given one.

Cover brought in for say center back then Pudil playing out of position and all the time the manager believe he will get us promoted even though we are slipping into a relegation dog fight because of his we are too good not to go up mentally. He has been given the chance but continues to bury his head in the sand.

5 hours ago, vulva said:

The problem with youth football is these poncy academies. They need to bring back Central League football to bridge the gap between kids, and men's football. 

Ive always said this. Should never have been scrapped. It was vital experience for young players playing alongside  and against seasoned pro`s who arnt in the first team ,or coming back from injury. 

The academy league is kids playing kids . How can you throw a young player into the first team when all he has done is play against fellow young lads. ?  

5 hours ago, vulva said:

If it comes to it, and a new manager is required in the future, the mindset of fans needs to change. Gone are the days where you appoint a manager with a long term vision in mind. The likes of Ferguson and Wenger will never been seen again, where 1 man rules a club for decades. 

The future for managers in my opinion is short term, red Adair type appointments. We need to follow the model of Watford, Southampton and Chelsea, where they bring in a manager for a specific job, with a specific timeframe in mind. When that project is complete, move on, and appoint another manager to take the next step forward, with the skill set to move onto the next level. Watford are brilliant at this.

From the outside looking in, it looks like, a hire and fire strategy, but it's far more creative, This tactic keeps the manages motivated, players on their toes, and allows for flexibility if things go wrong. Players don't get 'connected' and 'chummy' with a manager which I think is one of the reasons why we have gone stale at S6. 

The issue at Hillsborough, unlike the above, is the lack of football structure behind it. If Carlos goes, we have to reshuffle, re recruit and reorganise most of the non playing staff. Southampton just change their head coach. Far more cost effective, and provides for better consistent throughout the club from youth level up.

I think this is correct, the structure of the club in the background is far more important than the manager or even money. Sunderland and Villa have lots of fans and money, but run badly so aren't achieving their potential. I think DC needs a director of football, not a committee. Southampton and more recently Watford are the models to blatantly copy. Then we can start a new thread about who should be director of football. One year rolling contract for everyone at the club.