New manager

If it comes to it, and a new manager is required in the future, the mindset of fans needs to change. Gone are the days where you appoint a manager with a long term vision in mind. The likes of Ferguson and Wenger will never been seen again, where 1 man rules a club for decades. 

The future for managers in my opinion is short term, red Adair type appointments. We need to follow the model of Watford, Southampton and Chelsea, where they bring in a manager for a specific job, with a specific timeframe in mind. When that project is complete, move on, and appoint another manager to take the next step forward, with the skill set to move onto the next level. Watford are brilliant at this.

From the outside looking in, it looks like, a hire and fire strategy, but it's far more creative, This tactic keeps the manages motivated, players on their toes, and allows for flexibility if things go wrong. Players don't get 'connected' and 'chummy' with a manager which I think is one of the reasons why we have gone stale at S6. 

The issue at Hillsborough, unlike the above, is the lack of football structure behind it. If Carlos goes, we have to reshuffle, re recruit and reorganise most of the non playing staff. Southampton just change their head coach. Far more cost effective, and provides for better consistent throughout the club from youth level up.

This is why the youth players in this country - despite being up there with the worlds best - rarely get given a chance in the premier league

Would you care about bringing on the youth players to benefit the club in 3 years knowing you only have 6-12 months to prove your worth as a manager?

• Like 1

He kind of tried this in DCs early days with the committee.   I actually thought Carlos could make a good DofF and Roeder seemed to make some good signings but the whole thing collapsed and CC moved downstairs.

We now have good knows how many Portuguese guys to replace when Carlos goes.

I hope DC can learn from the lessons of the committee + the Doyen/recruitment mess-up and reinstate a proper football (and commercial) management structure.

Just now, torres said:

This is why the youth players in this country - despite being up there with the worlds best - rarely get given a chance in the premier league

Would you care about bringing on the youth players to benefit the club in 3 years knowing you only have 6-12 months to prove your worth as a manager?

The problem with youth football is these poncy academies. They need to bring back Central League football to bridge the gap between kids, and men's football. 

27 minutes ago, vulva said:

If it comes to it, and a new manager is required in the future, the mindset of fans needs to change. Gone are the days where you appoint a manager with a long term vision in mind. The likes of Ferguson and Wenger will never been seen again, where 1 man rules a club for decades. 

The future for managers in my opinion is short term, red Adair type appointments. We need to follow the model of Watford, Southampton and Chelsea, where they bring in a manager for a specific job, with a specific timeframe in mind. When that project is complete, move on, and appoint another manager to take the next step forward, with the skill set to move onto the next level. Watford are brilliant at this.

From the outside looking in, it looks like, a hire and fire strategy, but it's far more creative, This tactic keeps the manages motivated, players on their toes, and allows for flexibility if things go wrong. Players don't get 'connected' and 'chummy' with a manager which I think is one of the reasons why we have gone stale at S6. 

The issue at Hillsborough, unlike the above, is the lack of football structure behind it. If Carlos goes, we have to reshuffle, re recruit and reorganise most of the non playing staff. Southampton just change their head coach. Far more cost effective, and provides for better consistent throughout the club from youth level up.

To be fair Wenger has been given 10 years too long and nowadays Ferguson wouldn't have been given the 3 year period he started with (plus he was handed 6 of the best youth players we've seen for 50 years)

I think about 12-18 months most managers just lose the plot 

A good manager is defined by his signings and most managers after their initial period sign players that don't improve their first team 

The difference with other clubs mentioned is that they were on a far better business footing than we have been, when the business stabilizes we may see more short term decisions from DC, but most big businesses require long term stability to flourish and we as a business need to catch up from the dark ages.

58 minutes ago, vulva said:

Radical for sure.

46 minutes ago, torres said:

Just wish we had some youth players playing well for their country. 

• Haha 2

The manager must have authority and respect of the players. That doesn't have to mean they have to like him. Said it before - Carlos' s authority with the players went at Norwich last season. It should have been "he goes or I do". Can you imagine Ferguson or Sam putting up with a player refusing to play ? Whoever, when ever, comes after Carlos, I hope they've got some b***s.

Edited by doubleo

Haven't we already done this in the past and failed? admittedly with no money.

How many of our managers have lasted longer than 2 years in the last 17 years?

If you appoint the right man with minimal interference, he can totally shape the club, from the academy to scouting. There maybe a cause for a DOF type role these days if it helps bridge the gap between first team duties and others aspects of the club.

Personally think there has to be some succession planning. Two of Southampton managers actually moved on rather than being sacked and they have an infrastructure which supports the incumbent rather than having to build one when a new manager comes in and I believe this is a model we should look to.

The one we have at moment where everything reviewed by video, when change arises will result in huge upheavel and probably one of the reasons why DC has not acted.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

it's not a bad idea but you need someone who's a little better idea on how to build a team than who ever is doing our recruitment .......

The issue with having a DoF is that some managers won’t work with them, although the younger ones may well do.

Carlos has a track record of getting results at various unfancied underdog clubs. It made sense in hindsight to have him here and he nearly delivered. But now that we have become a pressure cooker, it hasn’t gone so well for him. In that respect I think we need someone who has dealt with pressure at the top of a league and succeeded.

45 minutes ago, Muffinman said:

Complete rubbish. Nobody in business, in politics in any organisation is ushered out of the door if they are successful. And Red Adair only came in when the oil head was totally useless and dangerous. I don't know what planet you live on but try suggesting they increase the oxygen level.....your brain is shrinking and you are hallucinating

Well apart from Mourinho at Chelsea and Ranieri at Leicester