Sheffield Wednesday 4 : 1 Birmingham City

13 hours ago, Busyowl said:

Have you watched any of the " very low standard of academy games"i

Clearly not a supporter of youth football

no I've not seen the academy side play but have seen the dev squad and wasn't too impressed with the standard .....now why would I not be a supporter of youth football ?.I think it's great for the young lads to have the success they are having as team  but that doesn't mean I want 2 or 3 of them in the 1st team, not until there up to the standard required ......

14 hours ago, torryowl said:

absolutely not but that doesn't seem to matter to those that want penney in the side ....everyone backing him goes on about how he's scored a few goals in a very low standard of academy games and don't think anyone as mention how good his defending is . 

Torry, having seen Penney play (admittedly only half a dozen times), I personally can state that he can defend pretty well. In fact, amongst his attributes, imho is reading the play and getting into position quickly. He is very good at closing down and is very quick to look to go on the attack.

Personally, I don't think playing him is a risk, with the added bonus of him having a wand of a left foot, he is devasting at set pieces. However, unless there is a major culture shift at the club in terms of bringing youth and freshness into the first team, he will remain a very promising young player, who will probably get a chance at another club and go on to have a very good and lucrative career.

13 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Torry, having seen Penney play (admittedly only half a dozen times), I personally can state that he can defend pretty well. In fact, amongst his attributes, imho is reading the play and getting into position quickly. He is very good at closing down and is very quick to look to go on the attack.

Personally, I don't think playing him is a risk, with the added bonus of him having a wand of a left foot, he is devasting at set pieces. However, unless there is a major culture shift at the club in terms of bringing youth and freshness into the first team, he will remain a very promising young player, who will probably get a chance at another club and go on to have a very good and lucrative career.

I have no doubt that at the level he plays at he's a good player but that level is far below that of the championship ,the old chestnut he needs to go out on loan somewhere nearer league level and if he proves himself there then yes get him back and give him a go .I think that was the idea last season when he went to Bradford but there manager wasn't impressed enough to give him a run in the side .........you'd think that having sold the bloke who kept him out they'd have been back in for him this season if he was so good but for whatever reason that's not happened .

6 minutes ago, Busyowl said:

And what standard is that then?????

The development team is the U23s team that last year actually won the national league title - and you say you weren't impressed?

the national league 3rd level .......I don't know much about dev football but when a bloke like scram says that the level isn't as good as the conference then I tend to listen .

9 minutes ago, Busyowl said:

And how do you know that didn't happen or did he actually want to go back?

I cant divulge .like malek i'm sworn to secrecy ......... 

18 hours ago, torryowl said:

no I've not seen the academy side play but have seen the dev squad and wasn't too impressed with the standard .....now why would I not be a supporter of youth football ?.I think it's great for the young lads to have the success they are having as team  but that doesn't mean I want 2 or 3 of them in the 1st team, not until there up to the standard required ......

In my opinion you can judge players regardless of opposition they are facing. Nevermind who is on other side, you can always learn what players can, and what they can't do. How quick they are, if they can cross, pass, shoot, controll ball well, etc...

I would even go as far to say that you can spot if they are tactically aware, how they react under pressue and in unexpected situations.

All in all, much can be learned from watching youngster play at whatver level.

Again, I'm not saying that someone must be ready to make a step up to first team football, because they scored 100 goals at that level. However I'm certain that it can be judged if his skill level is up to demands of first team football at required level.

Hope this makes some sense :blush: