History - Who were the pigs in Sheffield?

17 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

I’ve spoken to stacks of Blades/ Owls going to matches regularly from the 50’s, the term was never used in the 50’s or 60’s by anyone.

The truth is the term “Pig” started being used from about 1974.

Its the year Wednesday re-designed the new badge to the outline on an Owl.

The new badge appeared in The Star and some United fans teased Wednesdayites saying the badge looked more like a pig than an Owl, the claws even look like pigs trotters.

I was around in the mid 70’s and United used it to call Wednesday fans, can’t remember a single Wednesday fan using it towards Blades until the 80’s.

Bizarre, you scrubbers must have all been OD'ing on snuff and Woodbines. 

Anyway, by that rationale we should have started calling you the Arabs or something when your badge was changed and featured scimitars which as far as I know tended not to be produced in Sheffield. 

17 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

I’ve spoken to stacks of Blades/ Owls going to matches regularly from the 50’s, the term was never used in the 50’s or 60’s by anyone.

The truth is the term “Pig” started being used from about 1974.

Its the year Wednesday re-designed the new badge to the outline on an Owl.

The new badge appeared in The Star and some United fans teased Wednesdayites saying the badge looked more like a pig than an Owl, the claws even look like pigs trotters.

I was around in the mid 70’s and United used it to call Wednesday fans, can’t remember a single Wednesday fan using it towards Blades until the 80’s.

What A Load of Mogs Dollox. :columbo:

Here you are for those whose missed it. 

This goes right back to 1889, after Sheffield Wednesday, formed in 1867, had vacated Bramall Lane due to a disputes over rent.. Sheffield United were established and that subsequently became their home. It was from this that the uncomplimentary name 'the Pigs" originated by the Steel workers who followed Wednesday, aimed at the Unitedites or Laneites as they were known back then. It derived from Pig Iron, an intermediate product in Steel production hinting that Wednesday, regarded as the senior football club, were pure and therefore 'The Steel'of the City and United were the "Pig Iron". Indeed to this day, supporters of both teams refer to each other as 'Pigs', as the United fans claim that the site where Hillsborough Stadium now stands was once a farm. However, that claim does not correspond with official survey maps. The site where the stadium stands was actually once part of the Hillsborough House estate, previously owned by silversmith J.W. Dixon, where after his death, the land was split into 14 plots to be sold, with a 10 acre plot sold to The Wednesday.

Following on from the earlier article.....

My understanding was that the term "pigs" came from the wives of Sheffield United supporters, in describing their husbands' wife-beating antics.

From the microfiche archives at the City Library, you discover that Bramall Lane was the City's first hostelry for battered wives.

The authorities would send the battered wives and their protected kids, to Hillsborough a couple of times a year for entertainment and respite. Hence how Sheffield Wednesday became known as the family club.

Only those Blades wives who could look after themselves, stayed at home to fend off left hooks from their husbands, and looked upon it as part of the "for better or worse" vow. Granny Dickfingers being one such example.

I couldn't possibly expand on the results of the resultant breeding process but I once stayed over with one such family........

Mum - "Oi t**t, pass the sugar"

4 year old son - "F**k off slaaaaaaag"

Mum - "Wait until thee fatha gets 'ome, he'll kick the sheeeite out of ya"

4 year old son - "He's a t**t , he dint even go to Millwall"

Doorbell rings and it's the postman..............

Mum - "Hello Luv"

4 year old son "Nah den Dad yer c**t"

Edited by theowlsman
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Following on from the earlier article.....

My understanding was that the term "pigs" came from the wives of Sheffield United supporters, in describing their husbands' wife-beating antics.

From the microfiche archives at the City Library, you discover that Bramall Lane was the City's first hostelry for battered wives.

The authorities would send the battered wives and their protected kids, to Hillsborough a couple of times a year for entertainment and respite. Hence how Sheffield Wednesday became known as the family club.

Only those Blades wives who could look after themselves, stayed at home to fend off left hooks from their husbands, and looked upon it as part of the "for better or worse" vow. Granny Dickfingers being one such example.

I couldn't possibly expand on the results of the resultant breeding process but I once stayed over with one such family........

Mum - "Oi t**t, pass the sugar"

4 year old son - "F**k off slaaaaaaag"

Mum - "Wait until thee fatha gets 'ome, he'll kick the sheeeite out of ya"

4 year old son - "He's a t**t , he dint even go to Millwall"

Doorbell rings and it's the postman..............

Mum - "Hello Luv"

4 year old son "Nah den Dad yer c**t"

Print it out in an old style font, stain it with coffee and teabags then drop it into City library  lol

13 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Print it out in an old style font, stain it with coffee and teabags then drop it into City library  lol

It'd work for us, but that lot can't read lol

ps - Happy to resume "normal relationships" with friends who support the other lot, once the derby is over (unless they win of course in which case I may give it a few months)

Edited by theowlsman