Westwood

vulva

6 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

2 mistakes in 2 consecutive games.

My bet is that he'll play an absolute blinder against the blunts to bring some normality back to his form.

I hope he has naff all to do personally rather than him having a blinder.

32 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Pretty much this.

I can't really agree with anyone who said he had a great game against Cardiff, he didn't really have any saves to make as Cardiff only had 2 shots on target, with one being the goal. His kicking was particularly poor, with at least one being lucky not to go straight to their forward. For the goal, he looks a bit like he's trying to hold it and can't ends up slapping it into the ground by the post instead of away.. he should be pushing that away every time.

So overall it was a poor game form him. Disappointing given his other recent error, but like StudentOwl said, pointing out it was a poor game is a long way from saying he should be dropped or sold. But denying that he had a bad game is just as silly as saying he should be dropped tbh.

His Kicking was poor agreed but to put the blame on him for the free kick is ridiculous, How come they had 3/4 men follow in while our players were day dreaming after the free kick was took also what the hell was Butterfield doing in the 1st place?

His mistakes have been Sunderland & Brentford at home both 100% his fault but Saturday is baffling and strikes me of another lets jump on XXXXX player as everything must be his fault at the moment.

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

His Kicking was poor agreed but to put the blame on him for the free kick is ridiculous, How come they had 3/4 men follow in while our players were day dreaming after the free kick was took also what the hell was Butterfield doing in the 1st place?

His mistakes have been Sunderland & Brentford at home both 100% his fault but Saturday is baffling and strikes me of another lets jump on XXXXX player as everything must be his fault at the moment.

Butterfield was challenging for a 50/50 ball, as he should. I don't honestly think it was a free kick and from Carlos' reaction he didn't either. It's a very soft free kick, and if Butterfield hadn't have challenged for the ball then he would rightly be criticised for it.

"Why do they have more players forward than we have back immediately after the free kick?" Seriously? So.. when they have a free kick we line up in a wall.. that wall has to stand still, block direct paths to the goal and usually jump. That means they can't run back toward the goal. Because of the location of the freekick we have to have 7 players in the wall. That leaves only 3 free to mark. Cardiff on the other hand can set up 4 runners, meaning we're already outnumbered and there's nothing we can do about it. It's pretty much unavoidable that you'll be outnumbered from freekicks in that kind of position.

Sure, Butterfield should track him man better (even tho he doesn't play any part in the goal) and Pudil should never let Bamba get across him.. but equally that ball shouldn't come back across. Westwood is the one who organises the defense in these situations, so by putting 3 defenders on the far post and leaving Mendez-Laing unmarked, Westwood has said "if it goes right I'll deal with it". The way we're set up there's no way anyone can get across to the loose ball before it's put back in, at which point you have 4-5 Cardiff player bearing in on goal and (due to the wall) a shortage of Wednesday players, even if they'd all come back as quick as they could. Once the ball is spilled we'd done. There's really no sensible way to defend that situation.

So from how we set up we know that Westwood has called the right hand post as his responsibility. He gets to the ball, butwhat he does with it is frankly bizarre. Instead of strong wrist, pushing it out to the corner flag as you'd expect, he slaps it into the ground, like he's trying to catch or contain it. That's frankly a ridiculous thing to do. If he'd misjudged it and it was further away from him than he thought you'd expect the ball to spin of toward the post, at pace. It doesn't. Westwood is behind it, he pushed it out of the goal, but with no pace at all. He almost drops it into Mendez-Liang's path. There's no question at all that he should have done better with it.

Honestly, i think Westwood was trying to hold it. To stop there being a follow up play, either a corner or a long throw. He wanted to hold it. Kick long and end the game, so instead of playing safe and pushing it clear like a keeper should, he tries to hold it, drops it and it's 1-1.

I'm not trying to heap blame on Westwood, just calling the play how i saw it happen, and how the replays show it. I don't see a reason to not say that Westwood should have done better just because he's made other mistakes this season.

Edited by cookeh

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Butterfield was challenging for a 50/50 ball, as he should. I don't honestly think it was a free kick and from Carlos' reaction he didn't either. It's a very soft free kick, and if Butterfield hadn't have challenged for the ball then he would rightly be criticised for it.

"Why do they have more players forward than we have back immediately after the free kick?" Seriously? So.. when they have a free kick we line up in a wall.. that wall has to stand still, block direct paths to the goal and usually jump. That means they can't run back toward the goal. Because of the location of the freekick we have to have 7 players in the wall. That leaves only 3 free to mark. Cardiff on the other hand can set up 4 runners, meaning we're already outnumbered and there's nothing we can do about it. It's pretty much unavoidable that you'll be outnumbered from freekicks in that kind of position.

Sure, Butterfield should track him man better (even tho he doesn't play any part in the goal) and Pudil should never let Bamba get across him.. but equally that ball shouldn't come back across. Westwood is the one who organises the defense in these situations, so by putting 3 defenders on the far post and leaving Mendez-Laing unmarked, Westwood has said "if it goes right I'll deal with it". The way we're set up there's no way anyone can get across to the loose ball before it's put back in, at which point you have 4-5 Cardiff player bearing in on goal and (due to the wall) a shortage of Wednesday players, even if they'd all come back as quick as they could. Once the ball is spilled we'd done. There's really no sensible way to defend that situation.

So from how we set up we know that Westwood has called the right hand post as his responsibility. He gets to the ball, butwhat he does with it is frankly bizarre. Instead of strong wrist, pushing it out to the corner flag as you'd expect, he slaps it into the ground, like he's trying to catch or contain it. That's frankly a ridiculous thing to do. If he'd misjudged it and it was further away from him than he thought you'd expect the ball to spin of toward the post, at pace. It doesn't. Westwood is behind it, he pushed it out of the goal, but with no pace at all. He almost drops it into Mendez-Liang's path. There's no question at all that he should have done better with it.

Honestly, i think Westwood was trying to hold it. To stop there being a follow up play, either a corner or a long throw. He wanted to hold it. Kick long and end the game, so instead of playing safe and pushing it clear like a keeper should, he tries to hold it, drops it and it's 1-1.

I'm not trying to heap blame on Westwood, just calling the play how i saw it happen, and how the replays show it. I don't see a reason to not say that Westwood should have done better just because he's made other mistakes this season.

Totally disagree as soon as that ball is struck then there was at least 1 if not 2 players to the right of the wall that never reacted plus Pudil infront of Samba at other side, Westwood has done his job imo by saving the initial free kick as general rule of thumb is wall looks after 1 side and GK looks after other side.

31 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Totally disagree as soon as that ball is struck then there was at least 1 if not 2 players to the right of the wall that never reacted plus Pudil infront of Samba at other side, Westwood has done his job imo by saving the initial free kick as general rule of thumb is wall looks after 1 side and GK looks after other side.

I'm really not sure how dropping the ball at the feet of an opposition player can be called 'doing your job'. He's tried to catch it instead of push it away. He takes the pace out of the ball and tries to pull it down with him instead of staying strong and letting the pace of the ball carry it away from goal.

For me, Westwood's tried to be a hero. Make a cracking save and see out the game all in one, to make up for Brentford. It's gone wrong, he's dropped it to Mendez-Liang and we're basically done from there regardless of what the 3 spare men do. Outnumbered with a free cutback and no pressure on the ball.

Sure, you'd want to see more effort from the 3 far-post markers (Pudil, Lees and Butterfield), but really, once the ball's at Mendez-Liang's feet it's as good as in the back of the net.