Horror injuries

I was at the game Nolan broke his leg - my first trip to Hillsborough as a 15 year old. I missed the tackle though - I was too busy goading the Spurs fans. Glad I did miss it though... not a memory I'd like to have.

On a personal note I broke my tib & fib when I was 28 playing football in a Saturday amateur league.. I'd never suffered with bad injuries so when it happened I can remember thinking to myself "have I really just broken my leg?!".  I was self employed at the time so I sadly decided that I couldn't risk playing again. That was after playing ever since I was a kid and Saturday &Sundays football as an adult. The injury was as a result of a defenders late tackle, just after I'd shot on goal. We actually scored after their keeper parried my shot and one of our players tapped into their net, so it was a minute or two before the other players realised I was in a bad way.  20 years on I can remember it like it was yesterday.  It's a very scary thing to happen because it's easy to get pessimistic about your chances of a full recovery. 

I was in plaster for four months, but thankfully I didn't need ant metal putting in my leg so in my case I just needed nature and a bit of time. It probably took a couple of years before I truly felt like my leg was back to normal and touch wood I haven't had any problems since, although I'm expecting a bit of arthritis further down the road.

Edited by East Yorks Owl

I remember writing to (Garry I think it was) Bennett and telling him what an absolute cowardly poo I thought he was. Made me feel slightly better anyway.

As it happens, the manager of our Island Co-Op is a Chester fan...he was at Hillsborough that night and he told me that he and all his mates were absolutely disgusted with, and felt embarrassed by that "tackle ".

i wonder what Ian Knight did after his career was snatched from him...anyone know ?

Never forget the David Buust picture in the paper...

There was actually blood and bone flying through the air.. awful

Worst one i've seen in the flesh was playing sunday league and a lad

got tackled knee high. He just laid there in shock because his knee literally

had sliced open and the kneecap was hanging out...