Tonight's Big Game U23's

Final score 2-1 to the Owls. Much sharper in the second half against an fairly experienced Bolton side. Players who caught the eye, Connor Kirby, Jack Lee, Sean Clare, Fraser Preston and of course Mr Hirst Junior. Hirst being lone man upfront 4-5-1.

Team:- Wallis, Clarke, Penney, Kirby, Lee, Thorniley, Stobbs, Hayford, Hirst, Clare and Preston.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Good result for, what was a very young Wednesday side. Was Warren Clarke really playing at right back?

Yep.

One of the problems tonight was they were being out muscled in certain areas by the older more experienced Bolton players inc LB.

Bolton ended up with I think 4 booked for mainly late challenges as the youngsters I think had been told to keep the ball down in the second half as a result they were quicker on the ball and to the ball resulting in the bookings.

31 minutes ago, torres said:

Hopefully in January a few of these get a decent loan spell out at league level. 

Dont forget though, they are a young group, with six of those on duty tonight, still available for the U18's. Perhaps some of the older lads can go out, but let's not rush them

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Dont forget though, they are a young group, with six of those on duty tonight, still available for the U18's. Perhaps some of the older lads can go out, but let's not rush them

For a young group I thought they did pretty well particularly in the second half, GH needs to bulk up a bit as do a number of other lads, Sean Clare and Conor Kirby really caught my eye. As you suggest they need time. Not sure about Jack Stobbs the game seemed to pass him by at times. Think he was captain tonight. Fraser Preston, is his size going to be his undoing, time will tell.

I presume you were thinking about Jack Stobbs and possibly Jack Lee to go out on loan possibly to non league to get that time.

Agree they should not be rushed.

38 minutes ago, Old French Owl said:

For a young group I thought they did pretty well particularly in the second half, GH needs to bulk up a bit as do a number of other lads, Sean Clare and Conor Kirby really caught my eye. As you suggest they need time. Not sure about Jack Stobbs the game seemed to pass him by at times. Think he was captain tonight. Fraser Preston, is his size going to be his undoing, time will tell.

I presume you were thinking about Jack Stobbs and possibly Jack Lee to go out on loan possibly to non league to get that time.

Agree they should not be rushed.

More Thornley, Hayfield, and maybe Stobbs actually. Don't know, players obviously develop at different ages, but I agree, some of the younger lads are a bit lightweight to go out to even lower league clubs.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

More Thornley, Hayfield, and maybe Stobbs actually. Don't know, players obviously develop at different ages, but I agree, some of the younger lads are a bit lightweight to go out to even lower league clubs.

Now that the age group has changed to u23 hopefully the club will give some of the lads an extra year or two to develop.