Pubs for Norwich City

Offer of local advice:

Best pub for ales - Coach and Horses on Thorpe Road.  Away parking for cars and coaches is just across the road - charge £5 on match day, plenty of space even for the MASSIVE.  Popular with both home and away supporters, plenty of staff on match days - real ales brewed on the premises (CHB - Chalk Hill Brewery).  Good pub grub.  Short walk to the ground.  Never had any prombles here

Designated away supporters pub - The Compleat Angler - Prince Of Wales Road.  Bit trashy but close to KFC (if you like that sort of thing).  Sometimes have a BBQ on match days, on side of river, but hardly picturesque.  Normal selection of beers and lagers.

Lloyds bar in the Riverside complex.  Popular with home supporters but again not normally any trouble for away fans - this is Norwich afterall.  However sometimes the bouncers stop away fans going in, particularly if there are more than 3 or 4 of you in a group.  Wetherspoons prices with usual selection of beers.

Riverside in general - there are other bars in the Riverside complex - again heavily policed by bouncers but probably ok if you just want to have a few drinks. 

Avoid - can't really think of any pubs that aren't away fan friendly.  Happy for someone to advise if they have had a different or unpleasant experience

This is going to be a big game for Norwich City - they will be hoping to be knocking on the door of promotion or securing the play-off place.  Expect a lot of excited 6 fingered fiends.

Enjoy - Honolulu Wednesday, my mates down here still talk about ..... best away support they have ever seen!

I'm already excited about the game ..... 'Let's be 'aving you'

'we're not going down, we're not going up ...etc'

Edited by Rick - Norfolk Owl

We're going for a long weekender, don't mind missing a boring home match. Staying just off Unthank Rd in the Golden Triangle, some good evening pubs around there for anyone who's staying. Norwich is always a good day out, win or lose.

For those of you who like real ales and don't mind a 10 minute drive/taxi to the ground, the Fat Cat is the place to be. CAMRA pub of the year and district winner on several occasions and it will probably have a good few Norwich based Owls in there. The locals are friendly and I am sure it will be good banter. It used to be my local and God do I miss this pub.

There are also at least another 6 pubs within 5 minutes walking distance of the Fat Cat. These are all the opposite side of the city to the ground, although the city is not big, but if you are travelling by train it is probably a non-starter.

For those that are interested, the Fat Cat in Norwich is named after our own Kelham Island pub. Colin, the landlord saw the name in a trade directory and thought it sounded good. He phoned the Fat Cat in Sheffield and asked if he could use the same name and got chatting to the landlord there. I don't think Colin knew much about ale at the time but ordered some and the rest is history. Kelham Island ales and other local Sheffield ones are constantly on sale there, amongst many others.

I was a little pished when Colin told me this story but that is the jist of it.

Edited by ChapSmurf

For those of you who like real ales and don't mind a 10 minute drive/taxi to the ground, the Fat Cat is the place to be. CAMRA pub of the year and district winner on several occasions and it will probably have a good few Norwich based Owls in there. The locals are friendly and I am sure it will be good banter. It used to be my local and God do I miss this pub.

There are also at least another 6 pubs within 5 minutes walking distance of the Fat Cat. These are all the opposite side of the city to the ground, although the city is not big, but if you are travelling by train it is probably a non-starter.

For those that are interested, the Fat Cat in Norwich is named after our own Kelham Island pub. Colin, the landlord saw the name in a trade directory and thought it sounded good. He phoned the Fat Cat in Sheffield and asked if he could use the same name and got chatting to the landlord there. I don't think Colin knew much about ale at the time but ordered some and the rest is history. Kelham Island ales and other local Sheffield ones are constantly on sale there, amongst many others.

I was a little pished when Colin told me this story but that is the jist of it.

Yeah it's a great pub for ales. The nearby Alexander Tavern is also a decent pub bit if you're going through the alleyways, take a torch

Yeah it's a great pub for ales. The nearby Alexander Tavern is also a decent pub bit if you're going through the alleyways, take a torch

Yeah, that's another cracking pub and not far from the chippy. Spoilt for pubs in that area of Norwich. Is it called the "Golden Triangle" because it is the epicenter of a real ale pubs :biggrin:

Used to live just over the river from The Complete Angler.

Awful pub.

A fine city though.

Aha.

Remember going in the compleat angler when we had our beach party thing 2001ish. Rite dive. Was only 16, we got trashed on ICO and then managed to get served in said pub then got followed out and confronted by a group of so called Norwich hoolies( didn't think they had such a thing) they just mouthed off and seemed to just despair, strange bunch

Remember going in the compleat angler when we had our beach party thing 2001ish. Rite dive. Was only 16, we got trashed on ICO and then managed to get served in said pub then got followed out and confronted by a group of so called Norwich hoolies( didn't think they had such a thing) they just mouthed off and seemed to just despair, strange bunch