Stuart Gray far too defensive?

Guest Sheff Owl

It's obvious we need reinforcements up front. (like you bang on about in every post for the last 3 months)

to blame them solely for the amount we've scored like I said is very narrow minded.

you happy with our midfields contribution? how does our stats compare to others in the league?

Our strikers are paid to score goals, which they don't. If the midfield and defenders chip in with the odd goal, then great, but their job is predominantly to defend and create chances, which they do.

How many chances have our midfielders created for our main striker today?

Can't comment on today, but most games bring a plethora of opportunities that any decent frontman would convert. How many times do you see Nuhiu or May anticipate a situation, hardly at all

Guest Sheff Owl

Where would we be without the goals from Reda, Llera, Rob Jones?

It's very important you get goals from everywhere on the field.

It is NOT just down to the strikers.

Where would we be without the goals from Reda, Llera, Rob Jones?

It's very important you get goals from everywhere on the field.

It is NOT just down to the strikers.

Added to the 20 goals Madine got, yeah they were a real bonus. Look I'm not saying defenders shouldn't chip in, it's important that they do, but it's the forwards who should pose the most threat

Can't comment on today, but most games bring a plethora of opportunities that any decent frontman would convert. How many times do you see Nuhiu or May anticipate a situation, hardly at all

I see May do it regularly. Nuhiu doesn't but I really don't see him as a proper striker and I don't expect to see him getting on the end of things and putting his chances away.

Our strikers are paid to score goals, which they don't. If the midfield and defenders chip in with the odd goal, then great, but their job is predominantly to defend and create chances, which they do.

Nuhiu is a 10 a season striker if we're lucky.

May will hopefully better that in time if not this season.

that's 20-25 goals.

we need another striker who can bang 15 in.

that's 35-40 goals.

where are the other 20-30 goals you'd expect in a season coming from?

I see May do it regularly. Nuhiu doesn't but I really don't see him as a proper striker and I don't expect to see him getting on the end of things and putting his chances away.

Ideally we wouldn't have to rely on either of them, but we are probably not gonna add more than one new striker, so let's hope they can learn off the new boy.

Guest Sheff Owl

Everyone knows we are pant's upfront but..

Maguire, Drenthe, McGugan, Coke, Loovens, Lees, Helan, Lee, Maghoma,  all have to contribute to the goals tally.

The big teams don't need defenders to score (but it's handy) because they have strikers, midfielders who can easily and will get in to double figures + more.

We are skint, we need EVERYONE to score goals, we don't have players that can hit double figures easily.

Nuhiu is a 10 a season striker if we're lucky.

May will hopefully better that in time if not this season.

that's 20-25 goals.

we need another striker who can bang 15 in.

that's 35-40 goals.

where are the other 20-30 goals you'd expect in a season coming from?

I really don't know about Nuhiu, he's perhaps useful to have around, but like the others, he shouldn't be a fixture in the side. You ask where the other goals are going to come from. Well, to my mind, if we had a decent striker up top, we really wouldn't need those extra goals. We could go back to be defensively solid, knowing that we could shut sides out and ****** something at the other end.

Ideally we wouldn't have to rely on either of them, but we are probably not gonna add more than one new striker, so let's hope they can learn off the new boy.

Ok we don't agree on May. I don't think he's doing much wrong and is absolutely good enough to score regularly at this level given the right service, you think he is getting service, he's just not good enough. Fair enough. Let's just leave that one as it's just a never ending debate.

We can agree that we have a severe lack of numbers and variety up front.

Ok we don't agree on May. I don't think he's doing much wrong and is absolutely good enough to score regularly at this level given the right service, you think he is getting service, he's just not good enough. Fair enough. Let's just leave that one as it's just a never ending debate.

We can agree that we have a severe lack of numbers and variety up front.

Yes we can It's not that I don't rate May, he's got enough about him to suggest he can make it at this level. In fact, with the right player alongside he might well be the answer to our scoring problems. We can improve all over the side, what teams can't, but our glaring weakness, is as you say, lack of options up front.

Guest The Horse

It's obvious the midfild are being told to throttle back.

McGugan - whose strength and natural game is hovering just behind the forwards is sitting deep.
When we get forward, May and Nuhiu are for the majority of the time having to forge their own chances.

This is not May's thing. He's a natural poacher - instintively getting in the right place for when the ball comes.
You only get that when the attacking team has numbers in and around the box causing unrest.
I really want to see us one game just take the shackles off the midfield and see what happens. I genuinely think we've got plenty of goals in us if we did so.

Didn't go on sat'day, but here are some match stats.

FULHAM V WEDNESDAY

possession %   51                   49

Shots                13                   17

On target            6                     2

Corners              4                     9

The only real stat is the score line I know, but those stats seem to tell me that we did not go there to defend as some on here say, of course those of you who went to the game may put a more realistic view of the game. 

Yeah it's ONLY the strikers that should score goals.

Forget goals from midfield or defenders, they shouldn't be expected to chip in with goals.

Strikers only should score goals.

Strikers should score at least some goals though in fact you would hope they would score the majority.

I did think they weren't getting enough supply but not sure thats the whole reason for our lack of goals.

The glaring problem as far as I can see is when we do attack we usually end up with one player in the box which is easy for their defence to deal with, when someone breaks against us they have 3 or 4 players in the box - its not difficult to see we make things very hard for ourselves.