Thin squad? Really?

Guest Batigol

We have a lot of shirt fillers that are not good enough for the course and distance if a championship I'm afraid.

Numbers wise we are only a couple short but quality wise probably five or six to ever aim for the play offs

We have a lot of shirt fillers that are not good enough for the course and distance if a championship I'm afraid.

Numbers wise we are only a couple short but quality wise probably five or six to ever aim for the play offs[/quote

Stop being so afraid!

But there will always be injuries!

And it doesn't help much.

Lavery and May would help attacking options but even then if Every single player is fit and we play 4-3-3 you are likely to have attacking options on the bench of Nuhiu, Madine and Lavery. IF EVERYBODY IS FIT.

We'd need incredible luck to get anywhere. We are already minus Lavery.

I am by no means a doom monger just realistic and evenly balanced. I also won't be claiming we're the worst team in the world when we next lose.

Yes of course we will always have injuries but with Maguire, May, Madine, Nuhiu, Lavery and adding another striker possibly on loan and I think we will have decent strength in the striker department. As I have said elsewhere I do think that we need another. Two or three faces in, IMO a creative midfielder, a wide man and one more striker. I'd be happy with that.

Numbers wise we are only a couple short but quality wise probably five or six to ever aim for the play offs

Numbers wise we are only a couple short but quality wise probably five or six to ever aim for the play offs[/quote

Stop being so afraid!

I feel that we got rid of most of the shirt fillers in the close season. I think we are 2/3/4 players light at the moment but I think the nucleus is far better than last season.

Edited by Dagmeister

Guest brimowl

Patrick Bamford brilliant on loan at derby last year still at Chelsea at the moment don't know what's happening this year but he would be a class signing.He scored that goal against us last year at hillsbourgh.

People seem to be forgetting that once injuries hit that is the time when a manager will dip into the emergency loan market and likely bring in someone of decent quality to fill the gap for a month or two.

If, for example, May and Nuhiu both picked up long-term injuries I'm pretty sure we'll not be plodding along with just Madine and Betra, we'll hit the loan market and bring in some extra quality. It's not worth having 4 proven Championship quality strikers in our financial position.

Two wingers with good delivery would be the priority for me. Then a striker, then a left back (although Stuart seems to rate Floro to make the step up if needs be). After that I think we've got the basis of a very comfortable middle of the road Championship team.

Edited by Dan™

People seem to be forgetting that once injuries hit that is the time when a manager will dip into the emergency loan market and likely bring in someone of decent quality to fill the gap for a month or two.

If, for example, May and Nuhiu both picked up long-term injuries I'm pretty sure we'll not be plodding along with just Madine and Betra, we'll hit the loan market and bring in some extra quality. It's not worth having 4 proven Championship quality strikers in our financial position.

Two wingers with good delivery would be the priority for me. Then a striker, then a left back (although Stuart seems to rate Floro to make the step up if needs be). After that I think we've got the basis of a very comfortable middle of the road Championship team.

Some good points there. Also if we could establish ourselves comfortably in mid table it only takes a good run of results to flirt with the play offs.

With one injury and one suspension, it will be interesting to see what attacking options we have on the bench tonight That will tell us about our squad strength

And there you go, not able to name one single attacking player on a bench containing 7 players Yes, we very much do need attacking reinforcements, and quick, this could quite easily be a league match

And there you go, not able to name one single attacking player on a bench containing 7 players Yes, we very much do need attacking reinforcements, and quick, this could quite easily be a league match

I think we need one more striker plus a wide man as priority. Another a creative midfielder would be a bonus.

If we could get someone like Marshall in it would give us the option of adding Maguire as well as May to our striker options. It would be a bonus if Lavery's rehab proved quicker than predicted but a decent loanee would see us through until then..... assuming we don't have a freakish run of injuries/suspensions.