Jobi McAnuff

Guest JamesSwfcOwl

We've been playing Maguire, a striker, on the left.

Helan is a left back.

Maghoma is a good squad player but it's certainly an area we can improve.

Not sure we can class Maguire a striker. He might fancy himself as one but for most of his career he's been in midfield. Anyway, he's doing an excellent job in that floating wide role.

thing with Jobi though, could we build a team around him at his age at 32 years old, I don't think so.  

I would prefer us to go in for a younger player with at least a few good years ahead of him.  Having said that, I would still be happy if we signed him, as we could do with the extra quality on the wings. 

thing with Jobi though, could we build a team around him at his age at 32 years old, I don't think so.  

I would prefer us to go in for a younger player with at least a few good years ahead of him.  Having said that, I would still be happy if we signed him, as we could do with the extra quality on the wings. 

Signing someone of McAnuffs ability, but 6/8 years younger would be completely out of our price range. Jobi McAnuff's wages still might be way out of budget for all we know, but we have far more chance signing him than someone of his ability but younger.

As for the notion of building a team/squad with younger players, i agree in the main to that. I think it's vital in our situation we source players younger, players with potential and players that will hopefully improve, flourish at this level and be with us for a few years. But with our budgets, we won't be able to get proven players at this level at a good age, so the majority of the players we will be looking at will be either young, inexperienced players from Prem & Champ clubs, players from the lower leagues or players that have not had a good time elsewhere at this level or have suffered with injury problems. These are all risk signings. So it is important we also supplement our squad with players, who are still good players at this level but may be on the wrong side of 30. It is vital we have the experience within the squad.

McAnuff would not only improve our team/squad in terms of his ability, but he will also bring much needed experience and leadership to what will probably be an inexperience group at this level.

Signing players like McAnuff and Burke (one of) is a no brainer for me.

Edited by BRADDAZ

I'd say we can definitely build a team around McAnuff

We've lacked a quality midfielder with plenty of Championship (and higher) experience for years now. We've had players who have had the experience but lost the quality or we've had players that have the quality but not the experience

He would be a great player for us

Signing someone of McAnuffs ability, but 6/8 years younger would be completely out of our price range. Jobi McAnuff's wages still might be way out of budget for all we know, but we have far more chance signing him than someone of his ability but younger.

As for the notion of building a team/squad with younger players, i agree in the main to that. I think it's vital in our situation we source players younger, players with potential and players that will hopefully improve, flourish at this level and be with us for a few years. But with our budgets, we won't be able to get proven players at this level at a good age, so the majority of the players we will be looking at will be either young, inexperienced players from Prem & Champ clubs, players from the lower leagues or players that have not had a good time elsewhere at this level or have suffered with injury problems. These are all risk signings. So it is important we also supplement our squad with players, who are still good players at this level but may be on the wrong side of 30. It is vital we have the experience within the squad.

McAnuff would not only improve our team/squad in terms of his ability, but he will also bring much needed experience and leadership to what will probably be an inexperience group at this level.

Signing players like McAnuff and Burke (one of) is a no brainer for me.

I agree with pretty much most of that.

Guest wilyfox

He is more of a central midfielder nowadays

Hmm, not sure about that.

Can't believe Wily is seriously saying if McAnuff wanted to sign we should turn him down.

He's proven Championship quality.

Firstly, there's nothing to suggest we're in for him. Secondly, I'm not saying he's a bad player, just that I wouldn't choose another winger of his type. Antonio, Maghoma & Helan can all run at the opposition; I want someone with a more consistent end product. There were a number of games last season where our final ball let us down. Treacy, Dyer, Etherington...these are all very good consistent crossers. McAnuff is another dribbler.

I don't have a concern with him out there. I wasn't keen to begin with, but it allows him use his creative skills in midfield without losing his goal contribution. There's more to his game than goals. We get more out of him playing on the wing.

Sounds about right to me. I wasn't sure at first either but he definitely made it work.