Reasons To Be Happy

Guest JonTheOwl66

Sam Hutchinson has boosted gate receipts due to ladies flocking from across the nation to to see his rugged good looks.

media.jpg

He looks a bit like me.

lol

I don't get my kicks from watching some team in the vicinity of Sheffield 2 lose a 5th round FA Cup tie, or any other cup tie for that matter! I did however, enjoy watching my team, beat some team from Sheffield 2 in an FA Cup Semi final tie in 1993. I also enjoyed watching my team beat a team from the City of Trafford in a cup final. We've beaten the best in the land, comfortably at times, and regularly. I've also enjoyed watching my team playing with a squad packed with internationals from around the globe, including some of the finest footballers ever to play the game (namely Chris Waddle, David Hirst, Des Walker, Trevor Francis, Vivian Anderson, Roland Nilsson, Paolo Di Canio being the standout names), and managed by successful, internationally recognised managers, who have league titles, cup wins, and World Cup pedigree on their managerial CV's, playing scintillating, exciting, powerful and sublime football. I've been priveleged to watch promotions seasons, and high premier league finishes, as well as play-off success, and European football in one of the most iconic stadiums in the UK. We earned them all through our own endeavors.

Unfortunately, I have also witnessed us losing two cup finals, missing out on countless finals due to messing up in semi finals, against some of the best teams in England over a 30 year period. I've seen us hammered by the best and worst to grace football pitches up and down the land, mismanaged by incompetents, plumbed the depths of the third division, and come back. These were all our fault too. Not the fault of Carlos Tevez, The FA, a local rival, the BBC, ITV or anyone.

I'm happy because we've got a club that stands or falls, wins or loses, succeeds or fails, due to our own efforts or lack of effort.

Sheffield Wednesday isn't defined by someone else's success or failure, we create our own. Others may choose to define themselves in relation to us, or they may not, but to paraphrase the words of Jack Charlton "A team from Sheffield 2 may want the prestige of playing Sheffield Wednesday, but Sheffield Wednesday don't need the prestige of playing a team from Sheffield 2!"

For this, I'm forever grateful!

Edited by alcock dived