Nilsson. Phelan. Bring em anyway even not as manager...

We're not going to spend owt are we.
Chairman wants out.
No one of note seems to want the job.
So I'm going to now talk about the second part of me plan to bring back the magic.
The first point of which was  obviously -:

• The return of the white turnover on the blue sock and the black shorts. ;-)

Next is-:

• A Full long term coaching blueprint to be adopted for all age groups within the academy. (and perhaps we have one in place that is never given air time. I don't really know much about our set up behind the scenes other than what DJ told us about him being a builder.....)

We're skating about the bottom of the second division (that's what it is)
We have Bullen already in with the development squad.
But I see no reason why we can't go further and add people with vast knowledge of the game within a new structure.
People are mentioning names on here, so I'll use them as part of my examples.
Nilsson. Waddle. Phelan. Names that always pop up.

People that we can bring in with a wealth of experience in the game who will act not just as coaches in the club but also as off-field sort of mentors. Nilsson and Waddle International players. Played abroad. Been at the top of the game. Nilsson. What an example to a young Pro.

I want us to get all the best youngsters not just in Sheffield and south Yorkshire but the whole region.
With these expert 'guides' if you like , looking after our youngsters and making them better prepared for the demands of playing for Wednesday but football in general should we need to offlay them for massive profit.

I want a system in place where these people are constants and not hired and fired along with the latest (in a ever lengthing line of former managers).
I want them as Permanent fixtures to help the long term production of talent progressing through to the first team squad and wearing them blue and white stripes. (with white topped socks ;-)
I want us to build a system around a philosphy of playing the game in the right way. Adopting winning mentalities but with freedom of expression.

One of the weaknesses with this club has been for many many years the recruitment and development of talent.
Rather than worrying about the new manager, and the next new one two years down the line, I want us to be looking at building a back stage where we have the top talents in to help us bring in the best young players and help make them better. and keep them here !

Yes I know we've done OK with the odd player who've gone on to play at a decent level . Tommy Spurr, Beevers, Woody even. And going back maybe Quinn etc.
But your looking way back at Wetherall and Newsome , Graham Hyde, since we produced players with real sale value who top clubs are interested in. 
But now we have to produce top players again (because we certainly won't be buying any)  and I know with  the EPL has blackmailed the Football League into the this Elite Player Performance Plan set up where the top club  academies can bascially go to any other training ground to watch a player and effectively buy the player for a fixed fee with two days notice. (and there's folks on here will know a lot more about that than me and maybe able to fill us in..Like can Wednesday be a catagory A academy ? I don't know but maybe someone on here does.)

But if we are producing enough players and are producing the right quality, used to playing in the same way, brought up in the right way , at a club where they will be supported fully in their development get the best coaching and lifeskills as well as footballing skills,  where we can offer them encourgment and expertise. A good atmoshphere and  perhaps most of all where  know they have a realistic chance of coming through to be knocking on the first team door rather than being a lost name in a massive system farmed out on loan and never seeing the first team then some will stay.

The long-term aim has to be to get the best players born and bred in this area to come to Wednesday and then to stay with us.

I think if we can get those sorts of people in. Set that structure in place we could bring more in to get them involved with every age group and really build for the future. Irrespective of who the manager is.

We have to work within the structure of the academy system, and it's Premier leaning rules. We have to work in them regulations but also I want us to have our own identity and Philosophy as The Wednesday based on the game I was brough up on by Ron and Trev.

The reserve League is long gone. and I know they play odd friendly games but I'd include weekly friendly reserve games. making sure everyone was keeping up to speed.   Again run by this same back stage permanent team to keep that stepping stone and link through from kids to first teams.
Once all that was in place , then it would be time to get a long term manager and say

"This is the Wednesday. This is what we do. You get the best out of the best we've got".

DEH9 Sits back.
Waits to be ripped to shreds.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Best post Ive read for ages. Have the foundations of this been laid under MM? I would like to think so, but I do like the idea of continuity in the back ground (as long as it works....if not sack the bassards!)

That is a good post.  Worth reading, for those put off by its length.

We are fortunate that we do have some proper legends and top calibre ex-players around who care for the club, it makes sense that we find a way to maximise that benefit.  Waddle will never be a manager, but - by golly - any young player has got to want to work with him - he lives and breathes football.

I don't know the details, but I get the impression that you need big money for a CAT A set-up; but is it worth the investment if allows you to steal talent from other championship clubs, to come and work with Waddle, Nilsson, Hirst, Francis etc??

An excellent and well thought post.

This idea in principle is a superb one , and one that is in common use on the continent.

I for one would dearly love the idea that our club would invest in a long term strategy to produce our own top quality home grown talent.

It would certainly give me renewed hope for the future. Rather than worrying about tittle tattling around and scrabbling for loan players every season.

However......

to answer your point. As I understand it for our beloved Wednesday to achieve Category 1 Academy status it would require us to have a minimum of 18 full-time staff and an operational budget of £2.5m. (Some would argue that if we did have £2.5m to spend it should be in the short term on the first team. But that is another debate....

Sadly I cannot see under the current stewardship us spending anywhere near that on our set up, despite the obvious positives

As I understand it at least 6 lower league clubs have already folded their academy and youth system citing the new costings even of the lower level gradings as unworkable as the new fixed tariff for transfers (replacing transfer tribunals) means that they would be unlikely to recover a fraction of the investment even if they were moving on 4 or 5 players a season. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Great post this is the type of thing that we should be looking at.

I know a lot of people would rather spend money on the first team, but bringing players through from the academy should be one of our main priorities.

It pains me to say it but look at United bringing on & selling the likes of walker, naughton & Jagielka we need to start and concentrate on this the likes of spurr, wood, beevers, palmer & McCallister don't really compare.

It would be brilliant for waddle & Hirst etc. to come back to the club and mentor the youngsters and they can also give them an insight to what its like to player for Wednesday and how it was at its peek.

Good Post.

I agree with the coaching Idea. This happens all over europe.

To a further degree, should we then look at making ex pros as non executive Directors like they do in Germany and as such like Man Utd have done with Fergie.

I know clubs like Milan, Ajax, Barcelona etc, have ex players involved, wether that be for coaching, scouting, directors or club abasendors. To me this is the model we should be following.

operational budget of £2.5m. (Some would argue that if we did have £2.5m to spend it should be in the short term on the first team. But that is another debate....

Sadly I cannot see under the current stewardship us spending anywhere near that on our set up, despite the obvious positives

As I understand it at least 6 lower league clubs have already folded their academy and youth system citing the new costings even of the lower level gradings as unworkable as the new fixed tariff for transfers (replacing transfer tribunals) means that they would be unlikely to recover a fraction of the investment even if they were moving on 4 or 5 players a season. 

Well that's p1ssed on my parade a bit !!

I just think that with us floating from division 2 to division 3 we need something long term behind the scenes that would be in operation all the time.

But there's no way we'd be able to afford that sort of money.

And in fact what I'm suggesting would probably cost a lot more than that.

Sad really.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Well that's p1ssed on my parade a bit !!

I just think that with us floating from division 2 to division 3 we need something long term behind the scenes that would be in operation all the time.

But there's no way we'd be able to afford that sort of money.

And in fact what I'm suggesting would probably cost a lot more than that.

Sad really.

No offence chap. I wasn't trying to be the harbinger of doom. But the reality is that the new regulations mean more money being spent.

The football league have really been done over and given a good rogering on this one.

But I do like your idea. And clearly the thought and passion that has gone into it.

It certainly serves as a better long term plan than anything that currently seems to be getting done.

The idea itself is very good. But it would need costings and plannings before development and I cannot see that being done in the current financial constraints.

Unless of course, it was run as a separate Unit. Sponsored by local businesses and/or philanthropists with a deep love and care of the long term viability of the club.

Good Post.

I agree with the coaching Idea. This happens all over europe.

To a further degree, should we then look at making ex pros as non executive Directors like they do in Germany and as such like Man Utd have done with Fergie.

I know clubs like Milan, Ajax, Barcelona etc, have ex players involved, wether that be for coaching, scouting, directors or club abasendors. To me this is the model we should be following.

That's what I mean. Setting up a Club system that is bigger than just the first team and the back up players. Something longstanding.

I'd like to think that at some stage they could house the players there too. I think that we waste too much of the expertise that we have on our doorstep.

I'm not saying that the staff too wouldn't need to be coached too. I think there would be scope in the system to send them around Europe and the World two looking at how other succesfulo Clubs and countries do things. Not saying we just copy them - but use the best ideas and marry them with the best of British ideas too.

No offence chap. I wasn't trying to be the harbinger of doom. But the reality is that the new regulations mean more money being spent.

The football league have really been done over and given a good rogering on this one.

But I do like your idea. And clearly the thought and passion that has gone into it.

It certainly serves as a better long term plan than anything that currently seems to be getting done.

The idea itself is very good. But it would need costings and plannings before development and I cannot see that being done in the current financial constraints.

Unless of course, it was run as a separate Unit. Sponsored by local businesses and/or philanthropists with a deep love and care of the long term viability of the club.

If I'd got the money I'd do it myself !! Don't see anyone coming into sponsor something like this though. When people buy into clubs or invest they usually are only interested in the first 11 and being the figurehead.

DEH9 - get your CV into Milan

I would. But I think I may have already scared him of ranting about the return of blue socks with a white top and undermined any other suggestions I had !