It won't be THE answer, but maybe it will help us win a game or two

I think there's a balance that needs to be found - and quickly.

There's nothing wrong with doing the defensive side of the game providing you have a threat going forward - didn't Helan and Antonio miss 1v1's last night to put the game beyond them?

If the Owls took the lead and went full out on the attack and subsequently lost the game, Jones would be criticised for being naive, too open, especially at a point when we were leading the game.

The sooner the balance can be found between defence & attack the better - strangely, McPhail in my opinion will help that.

If the Owls took the lead and went full out on the attack and subsequently lost the game, Jones would be criticised for being naive, too open, especially at a point when we were leading the game.

It works both ways though, go on the attack and get the 2nd goal, there will be a higher chance we may even get a 3rd goal.  That is the time to defend, sit back and see the game out.  You are right though it is a fine balance that needs tweaking. 

How many of the people who have posted on this thread (including the initiator) were at the game in Brighton?

Within the context of the game we did try to go on and get a second, Helan could have got it! We played the same way from beginning to end and as the second half developed we were equally as likely to score as them!

Armchair supporters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of the people who have posted on this thread (including the initiator) were at the game in Brighton?

Within the context of the game we did try to go on and get a second, Helan could have got it! We played the same way from beginning to end and as the second half developed we were equally as likely to score as them!

Armchair supporters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of the people who have posted in this thread have referred to the Brighton game?

Congratulations on making it to Brighton, you are a true hero. No, I didn't go to Brighton. Should I have not posted as my view is now invalid?

You can watch or even listen to matches and figure out what is happening. It doesn't take a genius to listen to a match and figure out that we've been protecting one goal leads and failed on numerous occassions.

Jones' said in the pre-match press cinference that we needed to stop defending a 1-0 lead and kick on.

Its good that he has finally realised this after the end of last season and this. Now he just has to communicate this through to the team.

PS. Id have taken 1-1 at Brighton before kick-off so cant complain.

So we have proved that we can not defend one goal leads. If we were then we would be flirting with the play offs right now.

It seems that every time we take the lead we sit back and invite the pressure on us. I don't know if that is Jones telling the players to sit back or what, but it's not working. Jones then pulls off attacking players for more defensive players which then takes away any goal threats we had and yet, almost innevitably, we concede and drop points.

It is obvious that this is not working, so why not, instead of taking a goal lead and defending it, carry on as before and still try to extend the lead? We seem to be good enough to go in front with the system implemented at the time of the goal, but then change things around and end up drawing or even losing the match. If this trend continues we are almost certain for relegation.

Keep the attack minded on the pitch in order to extend leads or regain leads that we have lost.

God, football sounds so easy on paper doesn't it?  Pretty sure DJ isn't sitting around reading this and suddenly thinking "god that's an idea" pretty sure he will be telling this to the players but when you've not won for a while your subconciously, slowly and inevitable begin to cling on when ahead in games.  Managers don't have super human powers to change people's subconcious mentality!

How many of the people who have posted in this thread have referred to the Brighton game?

Congratulations on making it to Brighton, you are a true hero. No, I didn't go to Brighton. Should I have not posted as my view is now invalid?

You can watch or even listen to matches and figure out what is happening. It doesn't take a genius to listen to a match and figure out that we've been protecting one goal leads and failed on numerous occassions.

I didn't go to Brighton. I have been to watch us play Brighton on a Tuesday night though when I was a young man and my family and work weren't my priority. Anyway totally agree about us going out to win games as Jones did when he started with us I put another thread on about second halves. We have only won one second half which was against Burnley. Ironically we were 2-0 down and HAD to come out and try to score goals. All the other games we have failed to hold on to what we had. It's not working.

God, football sounds so easy on paper doesn't it?  Pretty sure DJ isn't sitting around reading this and suddenly thinking "god that's an idea" pretty sure he will be telling this to the players but when you've not won for a while your subconciously, slowly and inevitable begin to cling on when ahead in games.  Managers don't have super human powers to change people's subconcious mentality!

I understand what you are saying, but everyone has their oppinion on where we are going wrong. This, to me, is a major reason why we are failing to win.

I don't blame DJ for this tactic as it makes a lot of sense. However, we have tried it too many times this season so far and come up short.

I didn't go to Brighton. I have been to watch us play Brighton on a Tuesday night though when I was a young man and my family and work weren't my priority. Anyway totally agree about us going out to win games as Jones did when he started with us I put another thread on about second halves. We have only won one second half which was against Burnley. Ironically we were 2-0 down and HAD to come out and try to score goals. All the other games we have failed to hold on to what we had. It's not working.

I've always seen Wednesday as a team of two halves. If we play well in the first half most of the time we will be shìt in the second. If we are shìt in the first half they tend to come out and shock us with a decent display in the second.

You do realise he took off coke and replaced him with jj? That does not smack of a manager trying to just sit back and defend a lead. If anything the game opened up in the second half and we looked just as much if not more like scoring than they did.

The point about a quality and settled back four is more pertinent