An Observation - Not a go at DJ or any particular player

I think that 'Last Great Hope' is spot on in this thread. With the exception of Semedo, none of our midfielders are especially defensively minded. Even if they can be persuaded to stick to that aspect of the game diligently they aren't very good at it. Clearly our best wingers are Antonio and Johnson, yet playing both of them puts a lot of pressure on the centre of midfield and the full backs. So although our squad is capable of scoring goals, it doesn't have the adequate defensive back up to allow it that degree of freedom. Jones has tried to compensate with a more reserved approach and one up front but the players are by and large not suited to it and we are neither one thing nor the other at the moment.

Also, whilst it is excellent that we are signing a lot of young players who could develop into excellent talent in the future for a small outlay, in the here and now it is leaving our squad overall a little short in muscle and experience. This is particularly true in the midfield area. It's easy to look at our modest goals output lately and conclude that the attacking players aren't good enough but I'm not persuaded that is the biggest problem. We could really use a Carlton Palmer type in the middle to put himself about and give others the opportunity to hurt the opposition with a little more security. Whether we can find someone of that nature in the loan market or January transfer window is open to question though, especially in a squad that already has a lot of money being wasted on players who are not part of our future.

Llera is good enough for this division - big, strong, 100% effort, scores goals, bit slow but you can get away with that at this level!

JJ has the ability for this level and beyond.....

I can see your point about COG

Daniel Jones (we're all agreed)

WTF??! You saying that JJ has the ability to play in the Prem?? We arent talking about a raw, up and coming Jamaican fresh to English Football, he's 32!

He is far, far far to inconsitant in his final balls (shot/cross/pass) to be called Championship level.

WTF??! You saying that JJ has the ability to play in the Prem?? We arent talking about a raw, up and coming Jamaican fresh to English Football, he's 32!

He is far, far far to inconsitant in his final balls (shot/cross/pass) to be called Championship level.

I have to agree, Antonio is inconsistent, but has offered as much in his 30 or so games for us than JJ has in 5 years.

He loses the ball almost every time he gets it, and at this level, he isnt able to run past players like he could in the lower division, and obviously his final ball has never been anything but awful, in league 1, he's a decent option to have, but at this level, we need much better.

Edited by Lee A

Possible low cost solution to our problem - play Antonio as a second striker alongside Madine or Bothroyd, sign a winger / grafter midfield player and play JJ on the other wing.

Antonio is very quick, has good feet and is a strong lad who doesent get knocked off the ball easily. He could play off the shoulder of the last defender and take advantage of Madines / Bothroyd's knock on's. His pace would also make the opposition think twice about playing a high line in defence.

Playing him in a more central role would free him of any defensive duties and at the same time allow us to bring in a more defensively minded wing / midfielder to support the defence, a Steve Copell type player - but can't think of anyone off the top.

He's definatley good enough to play in the championship, most sides in this league would be happy to have him in their squad. Not saying he would start every match because he is inconsistent! He's a luxury player, not one that you can rely on week in week out, but you need one or two players like this because they can win games single handedly.

You have to be realistic about the players we can attract/afford and JJ is definately useful in this league, we should hold onto him for another season...

most sides in this league would be happy to have him in their squad.

Possibly, although Peterborough have just transfer listed a couple of these types of players

When we were bankrupt a few years ago and had to sell Lee Grant just to survive another month, JJ would surely have been picked off if he was half as good as this forum makes out, there were no real championship offers then, I very much doubt there would be now.

He's definatley good enough to play in the championship, most sides in this league would be happy to have him in their squad. Not saying he would start every match because he is inconsistent! He's a luxury player, not one that you can rely on week in week out, but you need one or two players like this because they can win games single handedly.

You have to be realistic about the players we can attract/afford and JJ is definately useful in this league, we should hold onto him for another season...

So he is basically a league 1 player who can occasionally play in the Championship?

Possibly, although Peterborough have just transfer listed a couple of these types of players

When we were bankrupt a few years ago and had to sell Lee Grant just to survive another month, JJ would surely have been picked off if he was half as good as this forum makes out, there were no real championship offers then, I very much doubt there would be now.

So you would look to offload him in January?

Antonio and Madine, which in effect was what we played the other night, has an extremely makeshift look about it As yet, not enough quality to be a consistent threat at this level. I say as yet because they are both young enough to develop into good championship players. We need better up front. Regarding the midfield, Semedo after a few shaky moments, looks as if he could cut it at this level. That should sort out the defensive anchor man. Barkley seems to have been given the free role, which at this stage of his career, probably suits him. Its the third central midfielder that is causing the problem. Ideally we could do with an experienced leader, preferably left footed, who can drive us forward and yet be able to track back. In the future, I think McCabe could do that job, but at the moment we cannot carry two inexperienced midfielders in there. Get in an experienced leader who will organise us in midfield, that will help Barkley, and there will still be plenty of opportunities for the young lads. We are not far off, but we are lacking those two key ingredients, a midfield general and a striker who offers goals and movement.

So you would look to offload him in January?

I wouldnt have renewed his deal personally

Not a personal thing against the bloke, I just really dont think he's good enough, and the frustrating headless chicken act has stopped being funny now, if we are serious about staying in this division and moving forwards, its time to sign some genuine quality.