for all the cog haters

Guest Big Guns

theres a reason alan warboys was unsung ,he was flipping gash and after racking my brain and trawling thru the memory bank i cant recall him making one contribution important or not to the side back then..........

you know of one who we can afford ?

You know the budget?

Madine needs a chance. Bothroyd does.

Cogs had his chance said it time and time again he is only good with his back to goal. No good for your main striker you want them running in behind defenders or running at them, Cog gets there turns and we start again from midfield. Different type of striker goes past the last man and gets the shot off.

I agree to a point, but its a bit basic. When you have midfielders who can spot a pass as well as Bothroyd and Barkley, its a waste if you have no one running in behind. At the moment only Antonio does this and although he'll get the odd goal or two, he's hardly prolific. In short, I agree COG's the best we have for the role, but if we want to get the most from our creative players, we deffo need someone better

Nail. Head.

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

COG's the best striker we have at the club. We tend to play better, most of the time, as a team when he plays.

We need to get another striker in January, one who can play off him, with a bit of pace.

If we can get a bit for Madine and offload a few of the deadwood, then we should go for someone like

Charlie Austin, Craig Davies or Ross McCormack, although their probably out of our price range.

But you never know, if we can get on a run and be around mid-table, then MM might let DJ bring in a quality Championship striker in the next window to push us on.

I like Chris O'Grady.

For our older readers, he reminds me of several of our relatively unsung centre forwards who made important contributions to the team, e.g. John Ritchie, Alan Warboys and Andy McCulloch (you don't see these talked about so much on here during reminicising sessions).

For me, he's got great ball control, especially for a big un, big heart and 100% commitment and I bet good to have around the place.

Well done Chris, as far I'm concerned, for sticking with it despite some fans, and rumored top-level, criticisms.

I

Fookin' hell..anyone who can compare Warboys with John Ritchie needs some of Rockaowl's drugs...as for Andy Mac yeah COG does remind me of him...if he could head a ball as well as Andy Mac did...defenders used to hate playing against Andy so there's a similarity there

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

Until we get a quality proven striker in, COG is the best option upfront we have in this division.

His work rate, strength and team play is far superior to Bothroyd's and Madine is too lightweight for the Championship.

Apart from one or two games Bothroyd's done nothing and Madine hasn't had a sniff.

Also you need to look at our midfield. We've not created enough as last season, the midfield at times as looked lightweight

but recently we've been getting it right in that area but we still need another creative winger. Plus the fact COG plays on his own upfront.

You would see COG's worth to the team even more if we had two creative wingers and someone pacy and proven at this level to play alongside him.

We'd be a lot worse off without COG in the team and if we got rid of him.

Until we get a quality proven striker in, COG is the best option upfront we have in this division.

His work rate, strength and team play is far superior to Bothroyd's and Madine is too lightweight for the Championship.

Apart from one or two games Bothroyd's done nothing and Madine hasn't had a sniff.

Also you need to look at our midfield. We've not created enough as last season, the midfield at times as looked lightweight

but recently we've been getting it right in that area but we still need another creative winger. Plus the fact COG plays on his own upfront.

You would see COG's worth to the team even more if we had two creative wingers and someone pacy and proven at this level to play alongside him.

Pretty much spot on. Madine has had his chances though and looked disinterested and lightweight.

Don't think we should ever play with two wingers, well not with the type we have here at the moment. This system is good, when we find a settled back four, our midfield can start to dominate games and will create plenty of chances. Get a decent striker in, and we'll start to climb the table

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

A tidy winger with a better delivery , would balance the team out better. Like what we had last season.

The current 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 set up is looking our best way to play at the moment but that's dependent on having COG up top

and the three players behind him have to push on to join him, to get the most out of his hold up play and be creative.

However we still need another striker, someone different to COG, with more pace and who can score a fair few.

Once we get some more quality in January, then we might go back to playing two up top? Plus one up top might not work all the time,

its better to have plenty of options, rather than just one or two options.

We made enquiries in the summer, apparently, but nothing came of it. And the club have this week rubbished the thought of it.

Saying we haven't a pot to wee wee in is a bit much, we do have a pot, but it's full of poo .

Our entire first XI cost less than 500k and so I'd be amazed if we spent that on one player, especially Chris O'Grady.

Good luck against Peterbro tmro. They were awful against us at Oakwell, but we were worse - they are strong in the air, we are strong at not jumping.

Guest Big Guns

I can see the dingles luck running out this season its relegation for you that's one of the places taken ,we won't be in the other two

COG's the best striker we have at the club. We tend to play better, most of the time, as a team when he plays.

We need to get another striker in January, one who can play off him, with a bit of pace.

If we can get a bit for Madine and offload a few of the deadwood, then we should go for someone like

Charlie Austin, Craig Davies or Ross McCormack, although their probably out of our price range.

But you never know, if we can get on a run and be around mid-table, then MM might let DJ bring in a quality Championship striker in the next window to push us on.

Good post.

Another good post mate agree with everything you've said.

I think the fans see it like that BG but does DJ? For whatever reason at the beginning of the season he chose a half fit Bothroyd instead of COG who was scoring goals. As it is Bothroyd has now come good but he should never have played when he was'nt fully fit. The other point is if we continue to play 4-5-1 then COG to me and lots of others should be the lone striker. He fits the bill, strong, hard to knock off the ball, holds it up well and does score goals.

How does a player get match fit, other than by playing games?

Don't think we should ever play with two wingers, well not with the type we have here at the moment. This system is good, when we find a settled back four, our midfield can start to dominate games and will create plenty of chances. Get a decent striker in, and we'll start to climb the table

Spot on. JJ and Antonio are too similar - all about pace and power but with suspect final balls. Having Bothroyd on one side who has a calmness on the ball and the ability to pick a pass has benefited us greatly.

Guest Bedders

How does a player get match fit, other than by playing games?

There are other ways of getting fit other than FIRST TEAM games. Take a look on the OS & you will see results regularly from the development squad's outings.

If any "Big-time-Charlie" thinks they are too are important to build some fitness first before been thrown into the mix, then I'm not sure I want them at the club.

We need team players. Not sure why Jones threw in Bothroyd when he wasn't match fit as it turned the fans against him & the ensuing Twitter row erupted.

Hopefully lesson learned & move on.

Edited by Bedders