DJ's strongest line up

With everyone at his disposal, I think he would envisage Kirkland, Taylor, Gardner, Mattock, Antonio, Barkley, Pecnik and Bothroyd starting. The other three places he would consider would be up for grabs. This is not my selection, but what I think the manager might have in mind. In truth, I think a few things have happened that have changed his thinking.

Kirkland

Lee

Reda

Llera

Gardner

JJ

McCabe

Barkley

Antonio

Bothroyd

Madine

Subs

Bywater

Beevers

Mattock

Semedo

Lines

Cog

Rhodri

Whatever your opinion of him may be do you seriously think Taylor would not feature in DJ's preferred 18? :st2:

Guest Leeswfc3

------------Kirkland

Buxton Llera Gardener Reda

Antonio Lines McCabe Barkley

-------Bothroyd Maguire

Not maguire for me mate, he's fat and poor. What is it with us playing players out of position...? why play barkley on wing? no logical reason when we have wingers.

------------Kirkland

Buxton Llera Gardener Reda

Antonio Semedo Barkley JJ

-------Bothroyd Rhodri

I think we've actually suffered in some ways from getting Barkley. Granted he's a quality prospect and he'd make my team, but I'm guessing the deal means he is guaranteed games which means our other centre mids have to fight for the one place, and even then they have to complement Barkley's style - who knows what that will do to morale. Similar could be said of Bothroyd I imagine, whether the deal stipulates he plays when available or not, I think Jones will pick him as first choice regardless, which then dictates who get's the second striker position.

Hang on....

You only said on Sunday we need to drop the new signings, now you've included 4 in your prefered starting 11????

It was Friday, and I said it more to make a point about the not keeping the nucleus of the promotion winning team. I also said we should have signed Batth who would replace Gardener in the team, Lines is a long term injury and we now can not afford to play both JJ and Antonio as we need to tighten up. Kikland and Bywater, there is not much between them and although I think Kirkland is a far better shot stopper there is something to be said for Bywaters organising of his defence. Hope that clarifies things for you.

Serious question...what do you see in Taylor fella?

Don't seem to have got the hang of this thread do we?

Not a matter of what we see in him. We believe that DJ sees something being one his most recent signings so it would seem reasonable that he would be one of "the manager's first picks"

One of the problems with 4-4-2 is the left wing. The opposition will know JJ is going to run towards goal rather than out wide, and Pecnik looks uncomfortable there. I think this may be one of the reasons DJ would rather not have an attacking left full back (ie, Reda) because otherwise we are quite weak defensively on that side.

Personally I would pick JJ, and do like gary megsondid, telling him exactly where to be when we haven't got the ball!!

I would also pick Madine & COG - time to let Rodri/Boothroyd have a go at being the impact/off the bench players.

In reality I would expect the starting line up to be vs. Wolves to be similar if not identical to the team that started vs. Bolton, injuries permitting.

Guest Edward_Teach

I think lol first choice would be

KIRKLAND

BUXTON - - TAYLOR - - GARDNER - - R JOHNSON

ANTONIO - - MCCABE - - BARKLEY - - J JOHNSON

BOTHROYD - RODRI

I actually think if settled and match fit and confident and having played together for a few weeks, with a great crowd at Hillsborough behind them the above side would be pretty strong. (maybe use Semedo in away matches)

He'd then use the other players only when form or injuries required (e.g Lee for Buxton, Madine for Rodri etc etc)

I think he's still working on trying to bring a quality left winger to the club, and I expect this to happen in January.

Edited by Edward_Teach