The last time more than one Wednesday player was in the same England Team

Came across these photos in an England vs Scotland programme in 1963 (Neither Swan nor Ron were listed) and I was wondering when we last had more than one player in the England team? I seem to recall seeing a line up which included Ron , Swan & Kay in one team.

Must have been quite an atmosphere at Hampden?

sS.jpg

if i remember right, sterland and marwood played one game together, and it may of been their only cap?

Sterland made his England appearance against Saudi Arabia in 1988. BRian Marwood came on as a sub in that game but was already at Arsenal. Chris Waddle also played but was not yet a Wednesday player.

In the 90's we definitely had four players in one squad. Not sure how many played.

Yes, against Crowded House. A-ha-ha.

The most I can find is in 1993 against the USA in the happy Alexei Lalas 2-0 defeat. Woods and Palmer started, and Des Walker came on for Palmer - although I'm not certain he was a Wednesday player yet - he signed in the off-season so he could have been a Wednesday player then.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Yes, against Crowded House. A-ha-ha.

The most I can find is in 1993 against the USA in the happy Alexei Lalas 2-0 defeat. Woods and Palmer started, and Des Walker came on for Palmer - although I'm not certain he was a Wednesday player yet - he signed in the off-season so he could have been a Wednesday player then.

Just did some research. I think Warhurst was also in that squad as a striker but got injured in the training camp. Never got in the squad again.

think we once had 4 (blenkinsop,marsden rimmer and strange )playing for england v scotland and we went to liverpool on the same day and won with out them ........how good is that .

It was in fact officially very good.

Not answering the original question, but I remember in 1961 England played Luxembourg at Highbury in a World Cup qualifier. Springett Swan and Fantham all played. I think it was Fantham's only cap. He scored once in a 4-1 win.

Came across these photos in an England vs Scotland programme in 1963 (Neither Swan nor Ron were listed) and I was wondering when we last had more than one player in the England team? I seem to recall seeing a line up which included Ron , Swan & Kay in one team.

Must have been quite an atmosphere at Hampden?

sS.jpg

The old square posts at Hampden.

I was stood on the terrace at Hampden Park that day. Apart from the disappointment of defeat, my abiding memory is the overpowering smell of whisky everywhere.

Really - that's amazing. Can you tell us more . How did you travel ? Were the England fans all together or dispersed round the ground? Love to hear more.

It was in fact officially very good.

Not answering the original question, but I remember in 1961 England played Luxembourg at Highbury in a World Cup qualifier. Springett Swan and Fantham all played. I think it was Fantham's only cap. He scored once in a 4-1 win.

I noticed that there were 4 Wednesday players in the 1962 World Cup England squad - Springett, Swan, Kay and Fantham.

according to Wikipedia:

The injury to Green, who had been named in the England squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, led to Carson, who was on standby, being promoted to the England squad for the tournament.

He was with us in 2006 but by then I'm guessing he was probably back with Liverpool