18 YRS OLD ross barkley

Guest James Junny

Guest James Junny

A future England star in a Wednesday shirt, granted corners wernt great on the night but in a shocking team performance he still looked class and for his age, what a player, will get better and better with every game.

Guest MrsGoggins

A future England star in a Wednesday shirt, granted corners wernt great on the night but in a shocking team performance he still looked class and for his age, what a player, will get better and better with every game.

Don't see the point in having him for just a month when we have Corry himself a decent prospect but 3 years older.

I think the problem is all the hype surrounding him. As usual, for weeks we've had the chance to build up his arrival and raise the expectation level around him. I have to admit I went to the game expecting more from him. I think in the first half he went to control a ball and it went under his foot and the kop insant let out the famous collective groan. In fact there were one or two around me that were saying he's crap and get him off. But like you say apart from his set plays he was ok and some of his turns and touches were different class

Don't see the point in having him for just a month when we have Corry himself a decent prospect but 3 years older.

It's all we can do as it's a 'youth' loan. Also means we can just keep renewing as well so the 32 day max rule doesn't count. As long as DJ, RB and DM are happy don't see why it won't carry on.

He was on a different wave length to the rest of our side. He started very well, then when everyone starting panicking when we went two door he drifted out of the game. Purely because we were trying to get it forward too quick.

Some of the hate on here for him is crazy.

McCabe & Barkley on Saturday please.

Played far too deep to make an impression, stood of the Hudders midfield and let them play. Obvious ability but a lot to learn. Wasn't helped admittedly by a lack of movement from our front two. But an attacking mdfielder should be forcing the issue when we are behind.

He was on a different wave length to the rest of our side. He started very well, then when everyone starting panicking when we went two door he drifted out of the game. Purely because we were trying to get it forward too quick.

Agreed on this.

Part of me agrees, then part of me says that pairing an 18 year old and a 20 year old, who have 23 professional appearances between them, is an absolute recipe for disaster.

I agree with Fedor a bit, he did play a little deep and stood off a bit but that said you could see he has quality by some of his passing, maybe he got caught in the confusion like the rest of the side seemed too at times.

Edited by TaxiMark

Part of me agrees, then part of me says that pairing an 18 year old and a 20 year old, who have 23 professional appearances between them, is an absolute recipe for disaster.

Only one way to find out.

I'm confident they won't be as bad as Semedo/McCabe or Semedo/Barkley.

Guest Sheff Owl

Barkley played to deep, he is an attacking midfielder.

He likes to get forward and help out, many, many times he was sat far too deep and Semedo was the one who was further forward.

As much as Barkley did well, playing him further forward he will have more of an impact and people will see how much better he is.

I think Barkley needs a free role to roam where he wants. On that basis I would play Semedo and McCabe in the middle, give Barkley the role I suggest and then have JJ and Antonio supporting a central striker. And I would suggest right now that man is COG.

I wouldn't mind seeing this. It would be playing players in their best positions and also have the right personnel in those positions, such as players with pace wide and a player who is very good at keeping the ball up top in O'Grady.

Just can't see Jones going for it though.

I think Barkley needs a free role to roam where he wants. On that basis I would play Semedo and McCabe in the middle, give Barkley the role I suggest and then have JJ and Antonio supporting a central striker. And I would suggest right now that man is COG.

It takes a brave man to play 1 man up front at Hillsborough.

Laws, Irvine and Megson have all tried it and been panned after about 5 minutes of the game for being 'too defensive' when actually (as Huddersfield showed yesterday) it is very much possible to look threatening with a lone striker.

Plus fans at his other clubs say that Jones always plays 4-4-2.

So don't think we'll see it happen.

It takes a brave man to play 1 man up front at Hillsborough.

Laws, Irvine and Megson have all tried it and been panned after about 5 minutes of the game for being 'too defensive' when actually (as Huddersfield showed yesterday) it is very much possible to look threatening with a lone striker.

Plus fans at his other clubs say that Jones always plays 4-4-2.

So don't think we'll see it happen.

I would argue that is 4-3-3 when we attack. It relieves Antonio and JJ of any defensive responsibility knowing we have three central midfielders.

I honestly think this would work like a dream, but would agree its not the DJ way.

Agree with both.

I would argue that is 4-3-3 when we attack. It relieves Antonio and JJ of any defensive responsibility knowing we have three central midfielders.

I honestly think this would work like a dream, but would agree its not the DJ way.

I agree with you mate, and I'd say it's worth a try. The 4-5-1/4-3-3 is slowly growing in British football at all levels. We have the perfect players for it as well.

I just don't think we'll see it happen, nor do I think the majority of Wednesday fans have the patience to even give it a chance unfortunately.