My chris ogrady theory

Guest dave jones n.1

he has also had a full pre season this year, he was injured at Rochdale before he came here, and his foot was supposed to be falling off when he got here.

he looks like he has lost some of the bulk he had last year, Dave Jones said in his interveiw that he needed to do as he is told and look after himself, so may have told him he dosnt want Garth playing up front.

The unfortunate thing with COG is that he seems to be one of those players who if he does one bad pass all night, this is the thing that will be remembered and posted about, rather than the million and one times he chases down a lost ball, million and two times he brings others into play with his hold up ability and million and three times he sticks his arse out :D

Guest Big Guns

If Dave Jones has found how to get him scoring then he should be starting ,the ops not true cos he missed plenty of blatant sitters just like Ryan lowe did ,but if he can keep this up then he will be a real handful...

Guest dave jones n.1

I wish I had a COG Theory.

Would u like me to lend u one, not a best one tho, maybe you could lend my playing out one!

I like COG in the main but , for me, he doesn't do enough of his work in and around the six yard area. When he gets the ball in the channels more often then not he works his way towards the corner flag. He also has a surprisingly tame shot for such an athlete. If he could rectify these two things then he would be unstoppable.

Said this heavily during last season and got critized on twitter espescially after games such as Walsall away where I said COG could have been doing so much more than just backing into defenders and trying to hold him off. This was in the middle of the whole phase where everyone believed he was "The best player in the team because he works hard for the team". I agreed that he did work hard and provided for his team mates just through his physical size but he can do so much more. Like the OP says, O'Grady is much better when he is utilized not just as a target man and given a free role, he showed Monday night just how much more he has to offer and I was impressed by him.

COG is like Heskey, Just sayin!

P.S. In a good way, everyone jokes about heskey but you got to think how has he made it at the top level for so long and made quite a few apperances internationally, he's good at holding the ball up which is what he's mainly for just like COG

Edited by glenowl

Measure a striker by their goals. Measure a striker by the effectiveness of their partnership. But, most importantly measure a striker by the fear they put into the minds of the opposition centre backs. I have held the thought, since he got over his early season injury concerns on his arrival, that COG is our most fearsome striker. That fear in itself creates uncertainty and from that uncertainty will stem chances and goals.

I was so excited a few years back when we were thought to be sniffing around Duncan Ferguson, that's the fear factor I am on aout. Big Dunc never prolific but goals came for Everton just because he was on te pitch.