Hark now hear the CITY sing....

I remember us singing it to chelsea at S B on our semi final win 1993

We sang it in the 90-91 season, we hammered Man Ure with it in the League Cup Final, then they sang it in the Cup Winners Cup final.

I can remember seeing Lineker saying Man Ure sang it first, he should have known it was us, as he was at the League Cup Final the two hat

The first time I personally heard 'Always look on the brightside of life' sung by us was in an away match at Everton in the grey and purple kit in about 1984, we lost 4-0 and seemed to be singing it to ourselves really.

Then in the 90-91 season it became popular to sing it the the opposition when you were beating them, I remember walking out of Wembley after beating Man u in the final and we had sung it to them and one of their fans said 'and they nicked our song'

Guest York-owl-chris

I like city singing our songs, cos they're rivals are also a bunch of tw*ts who wear red and are called united.

Like their version of "the city is ours"..."f*ck off to London, the city is ours"

Guest wednesdayloyal

I like city singing our songs, cos they're rivals are also a bunch of tw*ts who wear red and are called united.

Like their version of "the city is ours"..."f*ck off to London, the city is ours"

there other version is better, in reference to the yellow and green scarf brigade.... "the city is ours" "f*ck off to norwich and take your s*it scarfs"

I thought 'hark now hear' was sang by many clubs as they traditionally played their rivals on Boxing Day? If this is wrong, then I apologise, however it was someone off Owlstalk that originally stated this.

Correct - i remember this song being sung by every team that has a rival - going back to the 70's

Impossible to say who started it but most major derby matches were played on Boxing Day - taking the tune from a Christmas Carol which is topical at that time of year

I am fairly certain i heard Watford fans singing this song in the mid 70's

Lets not even count how many teams (and other sports for that matter) have nicked Barmy Army off us!

West Ham sung this way before us

The first time I personally heard 'Always look on the brightside of life' sung by us was in an away match at Everton in the grey and purple kit in about 1984, we lost 4-0 and seemed to be singing it to ourselves really.

Then in the 90-91 season it became popular to sing it the the opposition when you were beating them, I remember walking out of Wembley after beating Man u in the final and we had sung it to them and one of their fans said 'and they nicked our song'

I heard it for the 1st time at Highbury after losing to Brighton in the 83 FA cup semi final.

I heard it for the 1st time at Highbury after losing to Brighton in the 83 FA cup semi final.

Earlier than that even. Remember 81/82 season (around April) lost 4-0 to Watford away we sang it for practically the entire match!

Guest BirdonaMaguire

City sang it years ago.

The purple and grey kit was 1987

A lot of older songs are cribbed from other clubs

The Chelsea semi was 1991.