Promotion on the cheap

As a lifelong Owl I will always be grateful to Milan for saving our club. But we have to recognise that as a businessman he saw an opportunity to buy us and potentially sell us on for a tidy profit. No problem with that. What is a concern is that Milan should have a doubt about the job Megson has done.

To me he has worked wonders taking the club from where it was 12 months ago to promotion challengers today with what I believe have been limited resources. How many on Megsons pre season list of 9 did we actually sign? We knew Le Fondre and Mellor were wanted but we wouldn't pay the fee or the wages to get them. Megson was left to recruit second choices or use loan players. As far as I am aware the only players we have paid fees for during Megsons tenure are Ogrady, Lines, Jones and Lowe.

So Milan you must take your share of the responsibility for recent dip in results (poor January transfer window), recognise that Megson is the man to take our club forward and also that neither of the potential replacements mentioned (Dave Jones and Lee Clarke) would have performed as well with the resources Megson has had - They both have to spend ££££ to get success.

Well done today - fantastic performance by the boys and Megson - support immense!!! WTID

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Agreed Megson has done well with what he has had to work with.

Lets hope him and the players can finish the job off now.

You never know today's win might just be the cataylst that we needed.

Guest bigblue

MM would do himself no favours whatsoever in booting Megson out right now.

We'll go up next season under Megson's stewardship if we don't do it this time around. The likes of Lee Clarke & Dave Jones aren't fit to lace Megson's boots (or tie his tie - whatever the mgt equivalent is!).

TOOGM!

Guest Bri The owl

Couldnt have put it better myself,really don't think MEGSON as as the backing he was promised, n as to settle for 2nd n 3rd choice signings

As a lifelong Owl I will always be grateful to Milan for saving our club. But we have to recognise that as a businessman he saw an opportunity to buy us and potentially sell us on for a tidy profit. No problem with that. What is a concern is that Milan should have a doubt about the job Megson has done.

To me he has worked wonders taking the club from where it was 12 months ago to promotion challengers today with what I believe have been limited resources. How many on Megsons pre season list of 9 did we actually sign? We knew Le Fondre and Mellor were wanted but we wouldn't pay the fee or the wages to get them. Megson was left to recruit second choices or use loan players. As far as I am aware the only players we have paid fees for during Megsons tenure are Ogrady, Lines, Jones and Lowe.

So Milan you must take your share of the responsibility for recent dip in results (poor January transfer window), recognise that Megson is the man to take our club forward and also that neither of the potential replacements mentioned (Dave Jones and Lee Clarke) would have performed as well with the resources Megson has had - They both have to spend ££££ to get success.

Well done today - fantastic performance by the boys and Megson - support immense!!! WTID

Welcome to the site mate! Great first post, agree with everything you say here lol

fully agree with every word.

the teams that will be above us after we've played equal games (charlton, pigs, hudds) have all spent shed loads of cash on fees and/or wages. we haven't. where we currently are in the league is exactly where we should be based on our expenditure.

Thats all true, but I would've still preferred to spend more cash and be where Charlton are

Edited by Blue n White Rampage

Guest Go For It Owl

Welcome to the site mate! Great first post, agree with everything you say here lol

1ST Post !!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously aPIG

STOP SLAGGING OFF OUR SAVIOUR

WHO ARE YOU ? MILANS MOTHER - I dont think my comments were slagging him off.

I decided to make my first post after hearing Megsons post match interview on RS and the disgraceful rumours about us already actively pursuing his successor.

I was at the fans forum with Milan when he first arrived. He was asked for his opinion on signings. Milan said he felt that sides benefitted from a big name signing for that final promotion push and as an example referred to the signing of Paul Merson when he was at Pompey. He did not rule out something similar for Wednesay. Even allowing for the fact that Milan had other issues in January it was not unreasonable to assume that something 'big' might have happened in January to aid our promotion other than Mike Jones (No disrespect to MJ).

As for being a PIG - I am a season ticket holder at SWFC, have renewed BEFORE yesterdays win and will be at Rochdale next Saturday. At the forum with Milan referred to above - a fan presented Milan with a special gift - a bottle of Hendersons.

I was a Wednesdayite before Milan came - and will be long after he's gone.

Still not convinced ? all I can say then is F#ck Off!

WHO ARE YOU ? MILANS MOTHER - I dont think my comments were slagging him off.

I decided to make my first post after hearing Megsons post match interview on RS and the disgraceful rumours about us already actively pursuing his successor.

I was at the fans forum with Milan when he first arrived. He was asked for his opinion on signings. Milan said he felt that sides benefitted from a big name signing for that final promotion push and as an example referred to the signing of Paul Merson when he was at Pompey. He did not rule out something similar for Wednesay. Even allowing for the fact that Milan had other issues in January it was not unreasonable to assume that something 'big' might have happened in January to aid our promotion other than Mike Jones (No disrespect to MJ).

As for being a PIG - I am a season ticket holder at SWFC, have renewed BEFORE yesterdays win and will be at Rochdale next Saturday. At the forum with Milan referred to above - a fan presented Milan with a special gift - a bottle of Hendersons.

I was a Wednesdayite before Milan came - and will be long after he's gone.

Still not convinced ? all I can say then is F#ck Off!

flip off back tut to Lane you scud pilot

I'm not sure it is as simple as that though For Milan to contemplate changing the manager, with all the financial implications that would bring, just doesn't make sense. Therefore there must have been more to it than that. For me, it's inconceivable that Milan would incur the costs of changing the manager unless there was good reason.

Even if he had doubts as to whether gary megson could get us over the finishing line, and with our record against the top sides prior to yesterday, you could understand those doubts, would anybody else do better? Certainly none of those names mentioned would make promotion any more guaranteed So taking into account the cost to the chairman of making such changes, it doesn't make sense. There has to be something else that has brought them to this point.

Agree fans should shut up about the budget The chairman has provided a healthy enough budget for us to be challenging for promotion, and that is exactly what we are doing. That's why I think other factors have brought them both to this point.