Striker worries

Guest Bald Owl

Guest Bald Owl

This striker melarky is a bit tedious don't you think?

We're in a bit of a state really up front, for all the complaining about Madine he's had little supply to feet just the big hoof and is isolated, when he did get e decent cross he scored. Yes it was a tap in but he was in the right place, unlike Morrison who should have scored 2 maybe 3 before County's penalty (as Megson related too post match interview without naming names, for a change), he's lost the gambling, poaching instinct of a consistent goal scorer and has no speed either. O'Grady showed brief glimpses in his ten minutes at Bury that he gets in the positions and could prove a good signing but will it be too late when he's fit.

We now/will have the ability in Marshall, JJ and the best play maker in this division Prutton to create chances abound, but I fear we won't take the opportunity to score as many as we should. That's ultimately what could prevent promotion.

Megson must be gutted we've got the quality with no end product, its like a 99 without a flake.

It's a farce that we're almost at the end of August with only 2 available strikers, and 2 that are in terrible form at that.

It's good that we haven't panic bought like usual, and we're going for the right targets, but a bit more impetus to get a deal done would be appreciated so we can knuckle down and get some points on the board.

Guest Bald Owl

It's a farce that we're almost at the end of August with only 2 available strikers, and 2 that are in terrible form at that.

It's good that we haven't panic bought like usual, and we're going for the right targets, but a bit more impetus to get a deal done would be appreciated so we can knuckle down and get some points on the board.

Totally agree

This striker melarky is a bit tedious don't you think?

We're in a bit of a state really up front, for all the complaining about Madine he's had little supply to feet just the big hoof and is isolated, when he did get e decent cross he scored. Yes it was a tap in but he was in the right place, unlike Morrison who should have scored 2 maybe 3 before County's penalty (as Megson related too post match interview without naming names, for a change), he's lost the gambling, poaching instinct of a consistent goal scorer and has no speed either. O'Grady showed brief glimpses in his ten minutes at Bury that he gets in the positions and could prove a good signing but will it be too late when he's fit.

We now/will have the ability in Marshall, JJ and the best play maker in this division Prutton to create chances abound, but I fear we won't take the opportunity to score as many as we should. That's ultimately what could prevent promotion.

Megson must be gutted we've got the quality with no end product, its like a 99 without a flake.

or a pickled turnip without lemon curd...

Yep.

At this point I don't care about the hows or why of why we haven't brought a striker in. There's a week left of the transfer window and we're still in a situation where we have two strikers available, one of which should realistically be 4th choice at best based on form and previous performances, and the one striker we have signed is injured and played all last season out wide for his previous club. That's not to see he'll be a bad signing (I actually think he'll be a VERY good signing) but there's no guarantee's he's going to get the goals required to fire us out of this league. Especially after the farcical way he was played at Bury and then further inflaming an injury.

We still need an out and out striker. For all the posturing over whether ALF is capable of playing at League One or not, his goal record and obvious eye for the back of the net is exactly what we need right now.

We still need an out and out striker. For all the posturing over whether ALF is capable of playing at League One or not, his goal record and obvious eye for the back of the net is exactly what we need right now.

Exactly ^^^

Edited by Spookone

what bothers me is how many different targets we have apparently chased. if the last one is to be believed, we put bids in for 7 strikers? far removed from the apparent list megson provided at the end of last season.

iv got every faith in the people in charge so wont panic, but i hope to god that this isnt a regular occurence

A year ago I think most of us were in agreement that Irvines work in the transfer market looked impressive. I doubt whether most of us would share the same opinion now?

The point I'm trying to make is Megsons work in the market so far gives us cause for optimism but we'll only know for certain if he's been successful or not come the end of the season & this will certainly apply to the signings of O'Grady and any other striker he splashes the cash on?

what bothers me is how many different targets we have apparently chased. if the last one is to be believed, we put bids in for 7 strikers? far removed from the apparent list megson provided at the end of last season.

iv got every faith in the people in charge so wont panic, but i hope to god that this isnt a regular occurence

Maybe were not the attractive proposition we once were?

Maybe were not the attractive proposition we once were?

iv said it before, in league one we are not attractive. promotion to the championship and a bit of momentum, and we will attract a decent calibre of players.

theres a bit of a shift in players wages coming up, and they are not going to be able to command the fees they once could. which is the right way to do business. Milans strategy is the right business thing to do, but as a club its very frustrating.