Top Team In Sheffield Next Year

http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/columnists/league_one_sheffield_s_derby_battleground_1_3308584

It’s almost inevitable that Sheffield United are going to be playing Wednesday next season.

They already trail Palace (and safety) by eight points and have to win remaining fixtures against Bristol City, Reading, Barnsley and Swansea City to survive. It’s looking grim, but the “glass half full” Blades can get stuck in to the 25//1 that they stay up.

We have already got a bet in the system about which of United or Wednesday will finish higher next season in League 1.

We go 8/13 that United will and 6/5 that Wednesday will. It’s your choice!

Despite their woes, I suspect the Blades will get a result against Bristol City on Saturday because City are in poor form. We are a best priced 7/5 about them doing just that, so you can’t accuse me of not being generous.

Now I’m a big fan of Donny’s style of football but I’m worried they might go down.

It would be a nightmare scenario, but if they lose to Crystal Palace on Good Friday, and Scunny or Preston get points, then they’re in trouble. We are 10/1 that they go down.

Wednesday’s season is all about gaining what little respect they can in their remaining matches. It is mid table obscurity for them after a season that seemed to promise much when they started the campaign.

gary megson can start building for next season and at least the Sheffield derby will be resurrected and something to look forward to.

On Saturday they travel to Walsall and Owls fans might be interested in another generous price I’m offering.

We are a stand out price of 9/4 that they win at the Bescot Stadium, because we don’t think they will.

Walsall are desperate for points to avoid the drop and we are not convinced that Wednesday will be motivated to stop them getting them. So come on Owls fans take me on! Bet of the week is Wigan to beat Sunderland on Saturday.

Take the 3/1 now. It will be a lot shorter on the day!

Edited by BIG D

i know they are very unlikely to stay up but do you get a refund if United stay up?

if not then when you add the chance that the blunts could stay up then the odds will be different to if they had actually been relegated already.

I hope when it comes to the season starting we have signed such a team that this will be hillarious,

I am tempted to put a bet on us if i am honest cus they will go down and we will have a better squad next season, just hope that we take advantage of that on the pitch.

I'd be absolutely amazed if United finished above us next season as I genuinley don't think they've bottomed out yet.

Making record losses of £18m last season, they now face a huge drop in income upon relegation (tv, attendances, etc) and I think they'll be lucky to make losses of £10m next season. Is this sort of figure really sustainable in League 1?

I doubt they'll go into admin as MaCabe would stand to lose a hell of a lot of money so I think he'll pay any short falls in running costs by way of further loans but as he's said he won't put anymore money into the club, I doubt very much he'll be bank rolling a new team to replace the departures over the summer as they try to reduce an oversized wage bill.

On the other hand, I don't think Mandaric will settle for anything less than promotion and should we not be amongst the early season pace setters and playing well, I think Megson will be on his way. I'm sure he'll give Megson money to spend and where as we'll be signing players in the transfer market, the new look United side next season will be full of relatively untried youngsters (not too disimilar to us a few years ago... Crane, Morrison, Haslam, Bromby, etc).

In short, I think those are VERY good odds!!!! lol

i know they are very unlikely to stay up but do you get a refund if United stay up?

if not then when you add the chance that the blunts could stay up then the odds will be different to if they had actually been relegated already.

I hope when it comes to the season starting we have signed such a team that this will be hillarious,

I am tempted to put a bet on us if i am honest cus they will go down and we will have a better squad next season, just hope that we take advantage of that on the pitch.

just cover your bet by putting a quid on unipig to sty up...ooops sorry, to stay up...at a 1,000,000 to 1, you'll be quids in... lol