Are we a complete set of idiots on here?

This is an outstanding OP. Really. JOC is a measure of where we are today - with the exceptions of Mandaric's excursions into the January transfer window. We have relied on Free Transfers for years and JOC is one of very few with an exemplary attitude.

He is not good enough, noted, but for what? For a club that couldn't afford better? We are what we are but fortunately that will be different in the summer.

Top thread.

im sorry, but 8ollocks.

We were told Irvine had assembled a squad not only capable of doing a job in this league, but in the championship as well. It was echoed by the players, whio came out saying how they were determined to turn things around and make up for last season, and on that basis the fans were given hope and expectation.

and frankly, the players have failed to live up to that expectation.

some, like JOC, is down purely to ability (i actually like him, i think in a 5 man midfield he would be alright and do an job, but hes not been good enough for us this year). Others, like Miller/JJ etc is down to application. They simply havent tried enough.

as for the comments regarding Leon Clarke - i certainly dont want him back, but there was a post on here debating whether he would have been better than the players we have got.

Leon Clarke or Clinton Morrison?

This is an outstanding OP. Really. JOC is a measure of where we are today - with the exceptions of Mandaric's excursions into the January transfer window. We have relied on Free Transfers for years and JOC is one of very few with an exemplary attitude.

He is not good enough, noted, but for what? For a club that couldn't afford better? We are what we are but fortunately that will be different in the summer.

Top thread.

very good perspective,shame others cant see it

Guest bigblue

I would give my all if I was offered the chance to play for Sheffield Wednesday. I'd huff, puff, chase shadows, give the ball away and generally blunder about like a clueless amateur that doesn't really have the legs for it.

I'd expect to be booed off the pitch because I'm not good enough. I'm probably technically a little better than JOC, and almost certainly better that Spurr (who isn't!); but neither of them, nor me sadly, should ever play for SWFC.

Harsh but true I'm afraid!

I would give my all if I was offered the chance to play for Sheffield Wednesday. I'd huff, puff, chase shadows, give the ball away and generally blunder about like a clueless amateur that doesn't really have the legs for it.

I'd expect to be booed off the pitch because I'm not good enough. I'm probably technically a little better than JOC, and almost certainly better that Spurr (who isn't!); but neither of them, nor me sadly, should ever play for SWFC.

Harsh but true I'm afraid!

delusion alert

pretty much every player has been slagged off and discarded on here, its not just JOC.

We were promised much, expected much, got very little. Unfortunately, some people havent reset their expectations accordingly.

The day will come when people on here wish that players like potter, JOC etc were still here.

dont believe me? see Whelan, Brunt, Leon Clarke, Lee Bullen, Frank Simek..

You are joking .

You are joking .

nope.

Im not saying they will turn out to be better than our new signings, nor that they should be retained.

what im pointing out is how fickle some of our fan base is. there were people offering to drive Tudgay to Nottingham, and Purse to Millwall. i also remember fans booing bullen and getting on his case. Even Pressman got his share of stick, Simek was widely criticised as being past it, Leon Clarke as being a waste of space, £500k for whelan was a bargain, "take the money and run" with Brunt, Agbonlahor was $hite, the list goes on. Yet iv seen people and threads talking about what a mistake it was to let them go, or could we re-sign them, or they are better than the replacements.

perhaps Owlstalkers arent the best judge of characters? perhaps certain individuals should stop laying into players until they leave, and then reminiscing about how good they actually were. and when they do, they should take the rose tinted glasses off.

There will be threads in the future saying how we shouldnt have let beevers go, or how spurr was actually alright really. maybe Clinton Morrison wasnt as bad as we thought.

everyone who pulls on the blue and white should be backed to the hilt, regardless of how $hit they are. iv no doubt you would get more out of any player if he was being backed rather than booed.

Player who shows the most fight, passion, determination, effort and work rate - James O'Connor

Player (probably) most moaned about - James O'Connor

Biggest cause for grumble on owls talk - lack of fight, passion, determination, effort and work rate.

To be honest, i's say these are the things he is least guilty of - He's just $hit.

His effort is second to none IMO, he's just a poor footballer.

Why should we settle for RUBBISH footballers just because they try hard?

Half the kop could put in the effort JOC does but we wouldn't ant them playing for us ( unless replacing JOC or potter)

If we had 11 JOCs we would be playing Sheffield fc

Guest bigblue

Why should we settle for RUBBISH footballers just because they try hard?

Half the kop could put in the effort JOC does but we wouldn't ant them playing for us ( unless replacing JOC or potter)

If we had 11 JOCs we would be playing Sheffield fc

^ this

Guest bigblue

delusion alert

ha ha, you might be right to be fair. I was overegging it to emphasise a point.

Although, if I (and many others for that matter) were paid to play football all day everyday, and received the coaching that he's had, and therefore had a professional footballer's level of fitness, I genuinely don't think there'd be much in it. I'd be better at passing, shooting, crossing...etc. I probably played at the same level as him up until the age of 16!

Anyway, the point is, he's not good enough. He's nearly as poo poo as me FFS!

Asking for effort from our decent players, then moaning about our bad ones' inability to play football isn't being fickle, it's having different criticisms for different players. What's wrong with that?!

ive tried to make the same point about o"conner before

of course hes a bit poor in certain areas,but he does get stuck in and he works so hard,even when hes poo poo hes working his little socks off,,,,

i see some have taken to calling him o"clapper,,which kind of says it all n terms of our fans mindsets

the guy is trying to show some leadership,,and people on here say stuff like "he should never wear the shirt"

i think its a discrace

i personally would be happy to see him in our sqaud next year,,,just becuase i think his personality and desire are a great benchmark of professionalism,,and good example for others to follow

i dont think we can have enough o"conners in the team,,,,

a player that has great heart

i wish people wouldnt confuse lack of effort and lack of quality

AWLE, some things you say are utter poo .... but in this instance you are bang right.

JOC may not be the greatest player in terms of flair, distribution etc, but you can't knock his work rate.

If we had 11 JOC's with the right attributes we would be laughing.

Guest bigblue

AWLE, some things you say are utter poo .... but in this instance you are bang right.

JOC may not be the greatest player in terms of flair, distribution etc, but you can't knock his work rate.

If we had 11 JOC's with the right attributes we would be laughing.

If we had 11 JOC's (pub standard players!), everyone else would be laughing, but we most certainly wouldn't, I can assure you!

You change the whole point by slipping the "with the right attributes" on the end there. That's why JOC is criticised on here - he doesn't have any of the right attributes!

So, like I say, not fickle fans at all, just different criticisms.

We need decent players that all give their all. Poor players trying hard are no good and good ones that don't give a poo poo aren't either. It's not asking too much for Sheffield Wednesday to have both at this level surely!!!

If we had 11 JOC's (pub standard players!), everyone else would be laughing, but we most certainly wouldn't, I can assure you!

You change the whole point by slipping the "with the right attributes" on the end there. That's why JOC is criticised on here - he doesn't have any of the right attributes!

So, like I say, not fickle fans at all, just different criticisms.

We need decent players that all give their all. Poor players trying hard are no good and good ones that don't give a poo poo aren't either. It's not asking too much for Sheffield Wednesday to have both at this level surely!!!

the point both he and i are making ,is mentally o"conner is one of the strongest,if not the strongest player we have in terms of mindset,determination

just the mere fact,he is playing professional football at this high level,is a testiment to his clear,drive and commitment to beingthe best he can be

just last year he won a couple of player of the months,,which were not won through pretty play,,and thatsd the next level up,,

im not disputing the fact that he isnt a great player

but we need to face reailty,,

,we are a league one team,and deservedly so,

becasue over the course of the last 10 years,we have not reinvested the potentually huge revenue our huge fanbase should generate,,back into the playing staff,the scouts,the under 18s ect ect

and not only is there no flow of money into the team(like there will be under milan),

but worse,, we atually sold our rare gems on the cheap,,

this is a recipe for disaster,becasue our fans have huge expectations,,

yet the type of player we can expect to attract under those circumstances is a poor player in relative terms to what he have been used to down the years,,,

the longer we remained in this abusive cycle,,,the more patched up and devoid of young hungry,quality pros we became,,

so why is o"conner in the team sometimes?

cos hes the best that we can get under the shackles of repression under the old regime,,

only now,can we buy decent players,,young ones,needing atual transfer fees

what i hate,is people can see this and instead boo someone like o"conner who was offered a contract,cos laws believed him to be a useful addition,,

for me he has proved so,,playing many of our games,,and doing his best

i think attitudes like his,in the dressing room,in training especially,,,

are hugley positive influences on young pros like palmer and the new boys,,,

they set a tone,,,are examples of how sheer hard work can make a huge difference

he reminds me of lee bullen

and out of the endless faceless stream of cheap fix options,,i think this o"conner guy has earnt his modest wage(comparitivly)and served us with honour

i atually hope he stays on in some kind of coaching capacity,,i believe thats where hes heading next,

so in summery,,,,dont hate the player,hate the game

ie,if your pissed off at some poo poo player giving 100% but playing crap cos hes a bit crap,,

dont blame the player,,,don even blame the guy who signed him

look at the bigger picture and blame the ballsacks who almost destroyed us,,

and rather than go mental everytime we arnt "weeing the league",

which we clearly should be if that idiot blah blag didnt

cos we signed,like that clinton bloke who gets his bum out who once played for the rep,ireland

that mellor bloke who looks like a cross between stevie g,and a huge teddy bear

gary teale,,a scottish,bentley driving version of skeletor from he-man

giles coke,,a kind of klingon/dinosour creature

danial jones,a heavily tatooed small boy,with a 90s undercut

paul heffernan,a drug eyed,weakling,whos inhaler has been tampered with

semi,,,a wannabe latherio,who trys to be as big a *** as ashely cole,but just ends up shagging fat birds at shitty merseyside clubs

these guy where apperently our savours,

when they are what they are,,,

solid frees,that represent the best realistically we could hope to get,,

but still way below the standard we need,,,,,,,,

I don't understand why fans get so bottom about rumbleing workrate

It's the very LEAST that should be expected of any player - they should be criticised if they don't put the legwork in - not lauded if they do

JOC is a poor player no matter how much he runs around

If you want that in the team then that's your choice - there won't be many others alongside you though