How id try to fix SWFC

I dont normally start topics, and i know a lot of people will be a bit raw so hopefully you take this on board and consider my points.

Firstly, i am fully behind Mandaric. i have 100% confidence in him to guide us back to top half championship.

Secondly, im a firm believer that we have got to stop thinking short term, and start planning for the long term. to do that, you have to promote stability.

Thirdly, im assuming that we cannot sign anyone else on loan, and im making assumptions about injuries/contracts.

Remainder of 2010/11 season

Reset expectations. Mandaric and Megson make joint press conference admitting that the focus this season is picking up a target amount of points and avoiding relegation. Make the fans aware they arent happy about it, but the play offs are gone, and the season is all about survival now. The sooner we admit it and get it out in the open, the easier it will be.

Renew or extend the contracts of anyone Megson wishes to keep or has in his plans for the following seasons. This will reassure some nervous players who are worried for their futures (and im talking specifically players who have had an up and down season, and the younger ones). it will also send out a message to those who still havent done enough, and will stop the speculating. it also enables us to start looking at who needs to be offloaded, and who we can look to bring in.

settle the defence - barring injuries, start playing a consistent back line, and start playing players in their natural positions.

Play a 5-3-2 formation using three centre backs, and two full backs. scrap wingers, there is no point as we cannot cross, and we are highly unlikely to score by getting on the end of crosses. start playing a team and formation that endorses a tight style, with players capable of knocking it about on the floor. id go with the below;

-----------------ROD------------

----Batth---Jones--Reynolds----

Buxton--------------------------Jones

---Coke----osbourne---Potter----

-----------Heff--------Madine-------

Personally, id release/move on - Miller, JOC, JJ, Sedgewick, Mellor, possibly Morrison if his attitude isnt right.

SEASON 2011/12

Signings - look for the following, and sign them all on 2 year deals - break the bank on two of the signings to get the fans excited -

DM, an Osbourne style ball winner or steve watson type experienced player.

2 x wingers - pace, ability to cross, mid 20s and playing either league one or below level.

CM - experienced and cool head capable of playing 60 minutes in the centre of the park, or bring him on for 30 min to settle the game down

AM - a replacement for Tommy Miller

ST - Pacy goalscorer to play alongside Madine, someone like BWP without the attitude

Coaching - bring in a defensive coach, and a striker coach with experience. Give them entire sessions with their respective players to work on small aspects of their games.

Tickets -

GM and MM have a pre season press conference to discuss the budget, and the crowd size its based on. set the expectations for the season

introduce a "2 for £30" ticket scheme

reduce the ST price if two or more are bought by one person.

Guarantee no price rise for three years for anyone who buys or renews a ST for the season

Make ALL JPT and league cup games a tenner a ticket or fiver for concessions

Give Megson the FULL season, regardless. MM needs to come out and state this early on, and get rid of the speculation.

Introduce or improve the community scheme. Players should visit each school or football team in the sheffield area to do a bit of PR work.

renew the SCH sponsorship for two more years

Pre season - have the majority of games at Hillsborough, im sure they have already planned a trip away, but id rather they got used to S6 and sold some tickets for that.

Formation - Megson needs to drill the style of play and formations throughout pre season, and this style needs to be mirrored by the youth set up. this needs to be attacking, and we need to start looking at how we approach home games. Going on the attack will get the crowd behind the team.

Youth - Megson to sit down with MM and SMC and agree a strategy to ensure that 4 players minimum come through the ranks this year. utilise the new scouting setup to make sure we are bringing good, young players to the academy. if the current setup has no one good enough, release them all and start again.

Reserves - enter into a lower league, and use it to keep all fringe players fit. no more of this youth team run out to get thrashed every week.

Megsons approach - less aggressive, more constructive. dish out the bollockings when needed, but learn to use the carrot and stick. You get the feeling they all get the hair dryer treatment, and it just doesnt work for everyone.

thats all i can think of for now, sorry for the long post..

tl;dr

why bother replying with that? :mellow:

nobody asked you to read it if its too many words for you?

Totemowl, i appreciate its a long post but to be fair, i didnt think it was that hard to read. nor did i think there was a post length limit. If its got fair points surely thats what matters?

Guest spanish owl

I dont normally start topics, and i know a lot of people will be a bit raw so hopefully you take this on board and consider my points.

Firstly, i am fully behind Mandaric. i have 100% confidence in him to guide us back to top half championship.

Secondly, im a firm believer that we have got to stop thinking short term, and start planning for the long term. to do that, you have to promote stability.

Thirdly, im assuming that we cannot sign anyone else on loan, and im making assumptions about injuries/contracts.

Reset expectations. Mandaric and Megson make joint press conference admitting that the focus this season is picking up a target amount of points and avoiding relegation. Make the fans aware they arent happy about it, but the play offs are gone, and the season is all about survival now. The sooner we admit it and get it out in the open, the easier it will be.

Renew or extend the contracts of anyone Megson wishes to keep or has in his plans for the following seasons. This will reassure some nervous players who are worried for their futures (and im talking specifically players who have had an up and down season, and the younger ones). it will also send out a message to those who still havent done enough, and will stop the speculating. it also enables us to start looking at who needs to be offloaded, and who we can look to bring in.

settle the defence - barring injuries, start playing a consistent back line, and start playing players in their natural positions.

Play a 5-3-2 formation using three centre backs, and two full backs. scrap wingers, there is no point as we cannot cross, and we are highly unlikely to score by getting on the end of crosses. start playing a team and formation that endorses a tight style, with players capable of knocking it about on the floor. id go with the below;

Personally, id release/move on - Miller, JOC, JJ, Sedgewick, Mellor, possibly Morrison if his attitude isnt right.

SEASON 2011/12

Signings - look for the following, and sign them all on 2 year deals - break the bank on two of the signings to get the fans excited -

2 x wingers - pace, ability to cross, mid 20s and playing either league one or below level.

CM - experienced and cool head capable of playing 60 minutes in the centre of the park, or bring him on for 30 min to settle the game down

ST - Pacy goalscorer to play alongside Madine, someone like BWP without the attitude

Coaching - bring in a defensive coach, and a striker coach with experience. Give them entire sessions with their respective players to work on small aspects of their games.

Tickets -

GM and MM have a pre season press conference to discuss the budget, and the crowd size its based on. set the expectations for the season

Guarantee no price rise for three years for anyone who buys or renews a ST for the season

Give Megson the FULL season, regardless. MM needs to come out and state this early on, and get rid of the speculation.

Introduce or improve the community scheme. Players should visit each school or football team in the sheffield area to do a bit of PR work.

Pre season - have the majority of games at Hillsborough, im sure they have already planned a trip away, but id rather they got used to S6 and sold some tickets for that.

Formation - Megson needs to drill the style of play and formations throughout pre season, and this style needs to be mirrored by the youth set up. this needs to be attacking, and we need to start looking at how we approach home games. Going on the attack will get the crowd behind the team.

Youth - Megson to sit down with MM and SMC and agree a strategy to ensure that 4 players minimum come through the ranks this year. utilise the new scouting setup to make sure we are bringing good, young players to the academy. if the current setup has no one good enough, release them all and start again.

Reserves - enter into a lower league, and use it to keep all fringe players fit. no more of this youth team run out to get thrashed every week.

Megsons approach - less aggressive, more constructive. dish out the bollockings when needed, but learn to use the carrot and stick. You get the feeling they all get the hair dryer treatment, and it just doesnt work for everyone.

Why don´t we just appoint you as manager! al sounds good but just not gona happen!

Guest totemowl

why bother replying with that? :mellow:

nobody asked you to read it if its too many words for you?

Totemowl, i appreciate its a long post but to be fair, i didnt think it was that hard to read. nor did i think there was a post length limit. If its got fair points surely thats what matters?

It seemed way too long on my iphone...

There's no limit, but it's difficult to respond to so many points in a single post. But that's just my opinion. As I said, I thought you made some good points but a few didn't seem so good.

SEASON 2011/12

Tickets -

im sure you have the best intentions but thats got more holes in it than our defence ....how can they ensure 4 players minimum come thru the youth system ...this year.as for the reserves how much lower do you want em to go flip me we play macclesfields reserves .....

im sure you have the best intentions but thats got more holes in it than our defence ....how can they ensure 4 players minimum come thru the youth system ...this year.as for the reserves how much lower do you want em to go flip me we play macclesfields reserves .....

Reserves - im not sure what league they are in but they need to be in the bottom one. My main point was that the fringe players needed to make up the bulk of the resevres, not the youth teams..

4 players minimum - you identify the players that SMC thinks are potentials, Megson starts to bring them into the full team training and match day set ups. nothing complicated. I get the feeling the step up to first team isnt exactly well thought out at the moment?

any more holes? i know its a long post..

Guest tunster5

I f u c k i n hate leeds. all we need to get next season here fast, get some good new players and megson have some time to put a winning mentality togethrt

Reserves - im not sure what league they are in but they need to be in the bottom one. My main point was that the fringe players needed to make up the bulk of the resevres, not the youth teams..

4 players minimum - you identify the players that SMC thinks are potentials, Megson starts to bring them into the full team training and match day set ups. nothing complicated. I get the feeling the step up to first team isnt exactly well thought out at the moment?

any more holes? i know its a long post..

the contracts you start telling players they arnt wanted it certainly isnt going to make them play better and i would think thers only 6 that megson would want to keep so you would have a lot of wassed off players ......the guarantee megson a a full year what happens if he loses the 1st 10 games of next season .....as for milan and megson admitting we are in a relegation battle i think they know that .....liked the pricing comment have no quibble with that and the side you picked wouldnt argue to strongly against .

the contracts you start telling players they arnt wanted it certainly isnt going to make them play better and i would think thers only 6 that megson would want to keep so you would have a lot of wassed off players ......the guarantee megson a a full year what happens if he loses the 1st 10 games of next season .....as for milan and megson admitting we are in a relegation battle i think they know that .....liked the pricing comment have no quibble with that and the side you picked wouldnt argue to strongly against .

Sign up the ones who you want to keep, and settle them. The ones who arent getting one probably wont play anyway, and the ones who havent earnt one know that they have only got a few games left to earn one.

If Megson loses the first ten games MM has got to look at why, in all honesty i cant see it happening. But eventually we have got to get a manager and a squad that stays together and develops an understanding, and Megson should now be that manager. If we stick with him fof the full season, im confident that the following season will reap the rewards for it.

The admitting we are in the relegation battle is about resetting mindsets and expectations. if the fans stop thinking that we should be fighting for automatics, and the players have the pressure of unrealistic expectation lifted from them, the atmosphere might just improve.

You can't place that kind of demand on the 1st team manager - especially from a system that has been very questionable in quality of products

You can only start placing performance demands when and if the academy is funded and resourced with the right staff - otherwise you end up with a load of Luke Boden's bloating the squad every year

You can't place that kind of demand on the 1st team manager - especially from a system that has been very questionable in quality of products

You can only start placing performance demands when and if the academy is funded and resourced with the right staff - otherwise you end up with a load of Luke Boden's bloating the squad every year

Too right gaffer.

Glad someone else is willing to tell it how it is.

Nailed on for success with that :rolleyes:

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Reynolds? FFS

Indeed, and don't expect to see him at full back ever again under Megsons tenure - one more example of an Irvine player who only feels comfortable hoofing the ball in the general direction of a yellow shirt in the oppositions half - sadly even that is often asking too much...

I don't think I have ever witnessed such a pastiche of b0ll0x 11, assembled by one man....

Lets hope Irvine pops up in the summer at some SPL side and does what he did here by raiding his former club for players who verrk harrrd in training, have nothing between their ears and lap up his version of total football.