To all A.I supporters

Guest Sniper1

I don't think Irvine has got supporters has he? It's more like people who hate him and blame him for all our perceived failings and those who don't.

I look at the bigger picture. He inherited a team in woeful form, a team with no confidence, poor mentality, no team spirit and what ever else you can think of to describe it. They were an absolute shambles at times last season.

If you look at things in black & white Irvine failed in his brief to keep us up, but it is far more complex than that. The team was always fragile and we had a couple of poor seasons under Laws as well as a couple of good ones. Finishing 12th in 08/09 was a great achievement but the loss of Watson, McAllister being dropped (for whatever reason) the issue with Wood etc, issues off the pitch too, things fell apart. The team proved to be not good enough, under 2 different Managers (+ McAuley briefly) with different playing styles.

In the summer 8 players were released and we had to rebuild with no transfer fees and limited wages due to high earners still on the books and the tax issues/transfer embargo's scuppering our plans.

To be honest I thought we'd be strong enough to challenge for automatic straight away when we signed the likes of Morrison & Mellor. But I knew little of League 1 and went along with the general feeling that it was a poor division and the players that came down with us would be strong enough. As the season progressed it soon became clear our best performers were the new signings and the players still letting us down and showing they aren't good enough (even in L1) were the same ones that got us relegated. Coincidence? I don't think so, and that's one of the reasons I don't take the blinkered view it's all Irvine's fault we're not in the top 2.

In spells we've played some decent football. Irvine's style seems to be to attack quickly down the wings and get plenty of crosses in, when it comes off we look dangerous. The best recent examples being the against the 2 Bristols. We looked like scoring with every attack against Rovers and in the 2nd half against City. Great to watch.

I think the signings allowed the back 4 to push up and it made a massive difference.

I'm obviously as disappointed as everyone else with some of the performances this season but I don't lay the blame squarely at Irvine's feet. We had (until a week ago!) a small squad with only really our forward line that had options, cover and competition for places.

The Exeter result was a real low point but these results happen. Look at the season we finished 12th in the Championship, we got beat 4 – 0 by Plymouth who went on to finish 4th from bottom.

As for those wanting rid of Irvine being “enlightened”, I guess they'll be “enlightened” when they deem the next Manager a failure and the one after that and the one after that...

It's madness, just look in the Non SWFC football section on here. Plenty can see the stupidity of it when talking about other clubs.

Things are heading in the right direction now, Milan has got to undo 10 + years of mismanagement on and off the pitch, have a little patience it wont happen over night. That's not a lack of ambition either, just reality.

:ohmy:

Well I'd say we are doing the bear minimum!

Why can't we have a manager that can get a team to perform above expectations for once!

Who do you recommend? By all means sack Irvine to get somebody better at the end of the day we have to get promotion this season but who would you bring in?

Guest Triplej2

Part of my point is I don't think it is! If we do get 4 more players in we will be in a position to judge his style of play.

I'm sit very close to the dugout - Irvine dies his nut in when it's constant hoofball from defence.

Geezer, that says it all, he can't control or influence his own players. he can fill their heads full of information but can't actually get any synergy.

Part of my point is I don't think it is! If we do get 4 more players in we will be in a position to judge his style of play.

I'm sit very close to the dugout - Irvine dies his nut in when it's constant hoofball from defence.

4 NEW PLAYERS!?!?! You can't say he's a good manager if he brings in 15 new players because anyone could sign 15 new good players and do well. You judge a manager on how good he does with what he is given, like Eddie Howe.

Edited by EcclesallOwl

Who do you recommend? By all means sack Irvine to get somebody better at the end of the day we have to get promotion this season but who would you bring in?

Sheridan!

Chesterfield play exciting attacking football. He know what it means to play for the club and would make sure the players knew it and gave 110% every match. He would also have every single fan behind and unite the fanbase!

Guest Sniper1

I won't accept an unneccessary relegation, terrible pre-season, 9 defeats, a couple of spankings, being Ole'd by Bournemouth, outclassed by Bury, Carlisle, Plymouth (with 10 men), Chezzy and at times Northampton.

I won't accept 13 months of abject pain, embarrassment, dullness, boredom, darren flipping Potter's immunity from being dropped, watching video's of flipping Southport, coaching badge comments and general county standard rumblewittery.

(Ok, I appreciate I'm a touch obsessed :biggrin: )

......but i mean it all!!

You have to accept it though, you have no choice.

Milans in charge, not you.

Sorry to be to the point and you might not like it but thats the way it is.

Guest totemowl

I didn't start this topic with the words "Irvine out" or anything like that.

I asked a question for the A.I fanclub to tell me what he has done!

And so far, nobody has given an answer.

He's not done anything of note yet. To have done something he'll have to take us to the cup semi's or to promotion.

Although he has consistently signed better players than any of our last many managers have.

I'm sorry but I can't answer your OP properly because I'm not filled with optimism (too tough a league and all that). But I am hopeful.

How about you? Do you think we should get rid of him because he's not done anything?

Guest Triplej2

You have to accept it though, you have no choice.

Milans in charge, not you.

Sorry to be to the point and you might not like it but thats the way it is.

But I love to have my say, that's what this forum is for!! :biggrin:

I won't accept an unneccessary relegation, terrible pre-season, 9 defeats, a couple of spankings, being Ole'd by Bournemouth, outclassed by Bury, Carlisle, Plymouth (with 10 men), Chezzy and at times Northampton.

I won't accept 13 months of abject pain, embarrassment, dullness, boredom, darren flipping Potter's immunity from being dropped, watching video's of flipping Southport, coaching badge comments and general county standard rumblewittery.

(Ok, I appreciate I'm a touch obsessed :biggrin: )

......but i mean it all!!

lol

I know what your saying and i agree really i do. But as i said before, the way i see it there isn't any point in banging on about it endlessly (like you do).

I don't think Irvine has got supporters has he? It's more like people who hate him and blame him for all our perceived failings and those who don't.

I look at the bigger picture. He inherited a team in woeful form, a team with no confidence, poor mentality, no team spirit and what ever else you can think of to describe it. They were an absolute shambles at times last season.

If you look at things in black & white Irvine failed in his brief to keep us up, but it is far more complex than that. The team was always fragile and we had a couple of poor seasons under Laws as well as a couple of good ones. Finishing 12th in 08/09 was a great achievement but the loss of Watson, McAllister being dropped (for whatever reason) the issue with Wood etc, issues off the pitch too, things fell apart. The team proved to be not good enough, under 2 different Managers (+ McAuley briefly) with different playing styles.

In the summer 8 players were released and we had to rebuild with no transfer fees and limited wages due to high earners still on the books and the tax issues/transfer embargo's scuppering our plans.

To be honest I thought we'd be strong enough to challenge for automatic straight away when we signed the likes of Morrison & Mellor. But I knew little of League 1 and went along with the general feeling that it was a poor division and the players that came down with us would be strong enough. As the season progressed it soon became clear our best performers were the new signings and the players still letting us down and showing they aren't good enough (even in L1) were the same ones that got us relegated. Coincidence? I don't think so, and that's one of the reasons I don't take the blinkered view it's all Irvine's fault we're not in the top 2.

In spells we've played some decent football. Irvine's style seems to be to attack quickly down the wings and get plenty of crosses in, when it comes off we look dangerous. The best recent examples being the against the 2 Bristols. We looked like scoring with every attack against Rovers and in the 2nd half against City. Great to watch.

I think the signings allowed the back 4 to push up and it made a massive difference.

I'm obviously as disappointed as everyone else with some of the performances this season but I don't lay the blame squarely at Irvine's feet. We had (until a week ago!) a small squad with only really our forward line that had options, cover and competition for places.

The Exeter result was a real low point but these results happen. Look at the season we finished 12th in the Championship, we got beat 4 – 0 by Plymouth who went on to finish 4th from bottom.

As for those wanting rid of Irvine being “enlightened”, I guess they'll be “enlightened” when they deem the next Manager a failure and the one after that and the one after that...

It's madness, just look in the Non SWFC football section on here. Plenty can see the stupidity of it when talking about other clubs.

Things are heading in the right direction now, Milan has got to undo 10 + years of mismanagement on and off the pitch, have a little patience it wont happen over night. That's not a lack of ambition either, just reality.

great post mate...lets forget the instant gratification route and make sure that from now on we progress match by match and season by season...MM will not have it any other way...the manager who does it for MM will stay anyone else who settles for second best will go...that's the new reality at hillsborough and speaking for myself I love it

He's not done anything of note yet. To have done something he'll have to take us to the cup semi's or to promotion.

Although he has consistently signed better players than any of our last many managers have.

I'm sorry but I can't answer your OP properly because I'm not filled with optimism (too tough a league and all that). But I am hopeful.

How about you? Do you think we should get rid of him because he's not done anything?

I'll tell you what my biggest gripe about AI is and this is something he could have done to win me over!

He has had 12 months and in that 12 months we have not see any hint of improvement on the pitch not even a glimpse of the way he is trying to get his team to play. It took SOD best part of 2 seasons for Donny to get to grip with his ways but after 12months you should start to see some seeds being sown!

Guest Triplej2

You are entitled to have your say... and so is everyone else, just remember that. :biggrin:

Fair do's. I don't think I've ever been so passionate about a manager, sorry!! :biggrin:

Guest Sniper1

But I love to have my say, that's what this forum is for!! :biggrin:

And you are 100% correct to do so or there wouldn't be a forum.

It doesn't seem too bad at the moment but recently the abuse Alan's recieved off some is just wrong.

We have no reason to be miserable, whatever happens Mr Mandaric will see us right.

Edited by Sniper1

Sheridan!

Chesterfield play exciting attacking football. He know what it means to play for the club and would make sure the players knew it and gave 110% every match. He would also have every single fan behind and unite the fanbase!

I think your looking with 1991 tinted glasses on. He lost the dressing room at Oldham hence why he was ushered out after a fight with players. He has had one season finishing in the playoffs at Oldham and is yet to complete a full season at Chesterfield. Believe it or not Wilson and Jewell were once considered very good up and coming managers and look how that turned out? Since Wilkinson can you name an ex player with success. I love Shezza he would unite the fanbase but that is the only guarantee.

4 NEW PLAYERS!?!?! You can't say he's a good manager if he brings in 15 new players because anyone could sign 15 new good players and do well. You judge a manager on how good he does with what he is given, like Eddie Howe.

Exactly!

There hasn't been anything all season to stop him from changing tactics.

Im not saying he's a good manager- I'm saying he's not as bad as people say he is. See Snipers post a few posts ago, as it sums up a lot of what I think about it.

I think your looking with 1991 tinted glasses on. He lost the dressing room at Oldham hence why he was ushered out after a fight with players. He has had one season finishing in the playoffs at Oldham and is yet to complete a full season at Chesterfield. Believe it or not Wilson and Jewell were once considered very good up and coming managers and look how that turned out? Since Wilkinson can you name an ex player with success. I love Shezza he would unite the fanbase but that is the only guarantee.

And Jewell is one of only 3 managers to have taken 2 teams into the premiership!

btw

Guardiola never had any managerial experiance and look what he has done!

Ok bad example I know, but he understands the culture at Barcelona he know what it means to the fans and that's what I want at Hillsbrough, someone who understands what it means to be an owl someone who will put the same amount of passion into the players that the fans have. Sheridan has all this AI doesn't!

He has had 12 months and in that 12 months we have not see any hint of improvement on the pitch not even a glimpse of the way he is trying to get his team to play.

The first six months of which he had took over a failing team that someone else had put together, and fir the six months after he was only able to bring in free transfers.

Not really conducive to shaping a team to a style, wouldn't you say?