Over Hyping The Derby and Our Chances Of Winning....

I may be wrong. And in no way am i saying go into Sundays game expecting to lose....

But in past seasons, I feel, the derby games have followed this pattern.

07/08 - Laws' first derby games. No one expected the performance we saw at Hillsborough from Wednesday. And I doubt anyone expected us to then go to their place score 2 and for them needing a piece of magic from Beattie to ****** a point at the end.

08/09 - Wednesday had a team playing/built for mid table, United a team playing/built for the Top 2 (ignore personal opinion over whether each team was good enough for respective targets).

Personally I thought Wednesday could nick something at Home again, like the year before, and we did. But no one thought we could go, to what was one of the hardest away trips in the league, and win aswell as do the double.

09/10 - Wednesday took a couple of steps forward and United a couple more back in terms of playing staff, budget etc. For me this led every Wednesday fan to have a stronger feeling that we would get something at Lane. Most Unitedites I knew had the same feeling, that they were gunna be torn to pieces (irony is 2nd half maybe they were).

My point is.

In the first two seasons we were Underdogs and we took 10 from 12.

This season we were stronger favourites than we have been, no loner the Underdogs. And we have nothing to show for it.

Let United do the "big" talking for now. Sit back and be patient, like we did in last season and the season before that.

They always bottle it when they think we're down and out.

I may be wrong. And in no way am i saying go into Sundays game expecting to lose....

But in past seasons, I feel, the derby games have followed this pattern.

07/08 - Laws' first derby games. No one expected the performance we saw at Hillsborough from Wednesday. And I doubt anyone expected us to then go to their place score 2 and for them needing a piece of magic from Beattie to ****** a point at the end.

08/09 - Wednesday had a team playing/built for mid table, United a team playing/built for the Top 2 (ignore personal opinion over whether each team was good enough for respective targets).

Personally I thought Wednesday could nick something at Home again, like the year before, and we did. But no one thought we could go, to what was one of the hardest away trips in the league, and win aswell as do the double.

09/10 - Wednesday took a couple of steps forward and United a couple more back in terms of playing staff, budget etc. For me this led every Wednesday fan to have a stronger feeling that we would get something at Lane. Most Unitedites I knew had the same feeling, that they were gunna be torn to pieces (irony is 2nd half maybe they were).

My point is.

In the first two seasons we were Underdogs and we took 10 from 12.

This season we were stronger favourites than we have been, no loner the Underdogs. And we have nothing to show for it.

Let United do the "big" talking for now. Sit back and be patient, like we did in last season and the season before that.

They always bottle it when they think we're down and out.

I'm lost - what is it you actually want us to do?

Do you want us to not post about the match on Sunday or talk about it?

I think the recent derby wins had more to do with the ineptness of Robson and Blackwell and the fact Laws seemed to be able to get the players psyched up for these matches.

What happened at the Lane this season was near enough a disaster, but it was in keeping with the glass jaw we seemed to have developed under BL.

Have to disagree I'm afraid ... I semi understand your point, but I can't sit silent when not only do we have a derby on the brink its combined with the biggest game of the year !

Why not show how much it means to us.

Guest SPURTt

For most players it will be nothing special , i think we get a false perception with all the hype , it means a lot more to fans who mix with each other , and have to face up to it .

It means everything to the fans, even though they have nowt to play for. My big big hope, irs that their players wont be quite as "up" for it. Theyve got a lot of loan players who will be wondering where they will be next year, and might not fancy spending the summer injurred. Or am I just clutching at strws?

Think he just wants to play it down a bit rather than go all out saying we will beat them etc.

I am still lost - what difference does it make if I say to my blade colleagues we are going to slap them silly on Sunday? Does the OP think we have a better chance of our team beating Sheffield United if I say nothing at all?

I wrote that tired at 3am this morning.

Hence why it now makes hardly any sense :laugh:

I think what I was trying to say, but badly is.

The first part about previous fixtures is about the players not going in over confident off the back of past results. Ala September when we got ripped a new one in the first half for playing like cocky sh*ts.

The second part is. Don't bite back to Blades to much because you'll look a right cnut if we lose. Every Blade I know hypes up their chances and they end up looking complete fools when they do sh*t. And its not exactly the Wednesday way to big up our chances before a game publicly, like those lot do.

Edited by NeonLeon

Guest owls_4_life

In terms of the League of course we're underdogs going into this, but that doesn't count for much in a derby, not to mention you can't predict this league anyway. I think most people look at it as if we're gonna do well because if we all thought we were going to get beat convincingly no one would go!

Even if by some freak chance the players grow a pair of b0ll0x on Sunday and fluke a win, I still cant see it being enough.

Palace will do Derby over because quite frankly they are poo , we'll turn in another gutless performance at Cardiff and bottle it against Palace.

Kivo, you have finally worn me down :sad:

Guest Acid Hoot

It's the most important derby in a decade - full f*cking stop.

I, although not attending this Sunday, will be listening avidly and in fear.

Anyone thinking we can lose this match and still stay up needs there bumps feeling, and anyone not chewing their nails to shreds is a stronger man than me.

Unfortunately, I think a draw is on the cards - which any sensible person would agree is not good enough - and, if it is a draw, we deserve to go down.