Another one bites the dust

From Football365.com's mailbox feature. He probably didn't get to too many games anyway :-)

Divorcing From My Club

I read Alex's mail with great interest, for I myself am in club supporting limbo. I suppose the question for Alex is does he support Man United or Fulham? I don't think you can support two clubs properly; there is only so much emotion to go around. Alex's case got me thinking about my own dilemma and thus I have decided to publicly (for the first time) confess.

When I was growing up my sister, my dad and I used to always watch football. It didn't really matter who was playing, pretty much whatever was on tv and once it was entertaining. My dad being from Serbia was all about technique, skill, passing - Brazil, Spain, Holland - proper football. The Italian league on Channel 4 on a Sunday was always watched, and not having Sky we could only watch whatever English games were televised on terrestrial tv. In the 92/93 season I would have been 10 and all my friends seemed to be already supporting teams - I despised United and Liverpool and didn't really know much about any other teams so I didn't support anyone. Then along came the League Cup final, Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday. It was a final so you had to cheer for someone, my sister chose Arsenal, I chose Sheffield Wednesday...they lost. Then along came the FA Cup Final, same teams, same support, same result. After this she stuck with Arsenal and I "stuck" with Wednesday.

I supported Wednesday as best I could for the next few years, I wore my Chris Waddle jersey with pride - sometimes I still rock it for vintage value. Relegation for Wednesday happened to coincide with a formative part of my youth where I discovered cigarettes, alcohol, girls and police stations. I pretty much stopped following football on any level for a number of years, then when I hit around 18 / 19 and calmed down I started getting into football again. By now, Wednesday were languishing in the bowels of the football league, and not having any digital channels and the fact sopcast hadn't been invented I literally could not watch them play. Meanwhile, my sister was cheering on Bergkamp et al every Sunday with my dad and I down in the boozer. Every time Arsenal had a big game we would go to the pub and watch them, and I would always cheer on Arsenal. As I was a neutral they played the best football, good to watch, so I cheered them on.

So it continued, I watched and cheered Arsenal on as a "neutral" from then on. Over time, this neutrality has naturally morphed into proper emotionally charged support. Every error makes me scream, every goal makes me cheer. When Fabregas scored that penalty in the Euros I cheered and thought - that will be good for Arsenal. I don't demand trophies and Wenger's head after a poor result, I love the football they play. When they are in full swing there is no better team to watch - and that's what attracted me to them. I amen't a glory hunter, I just appreciate flowing, exciting football. Over the past year my friends have started giving me more and more abuse about who I "support". The official line is Wednesday, but then when they ask to name 5 players and I can't my cover is blown.

So, Sheffield Wednesday - I want a divorce. I've met someone else and I think it's serious.

Jovan, Dublin

bet he's been more than cardiffowl!

of course, this goes without saying. :biggrin:

There's one lad I know of through another forum, he's from Croydon, local team would be either Charlton or Palace (I forget), supports us because and a kid he was fascinated with owls (still is tbf). Gets to Hillsborough a few times a season and goes to quite a few away. Just thought I'd mention him (again).

I have a thing for Arsenal too :ph34r:

As i was growing up my mate was a big arsenal fan so i always would have banter with him and look out for their result, i fell out of touch with this friend but i still kept an eye on how arsenal went on, and i think the invincible season they had made me take even more interest in them, especially as that year we nearly got relegated from league 1 and as a football fan i loved watching their destructive type of football. But the bottom line is im wednesday through and through. Arsenal dont even come close to Sheffield Wednesday, i could NEVER even think about actually changing support like the guy wrote about, but i guess most people have a 2nd team they like to watch.....mines also Arsenal

I have a thing for Arsenal too :ph34r:

As i was growing up my mate was a big arsenal fan so i always would have banter with him and look out for their result, i fell out of touch with this friend but i still kept an eye on how arsenal went on, and i think the invincible season they had made me take even more interest in them, especially as that year we nearly got relegated from league 1 and as a football fan i loved watching their destructive type of football. But the bottom line is im wednesday through and through. Arsenal dont even come close to Sheffield Wednesday, i could NEVER even think about actually changing support like the guy wrote about, but i guess most people have a 2nd team they like to watch.....mines also Arsenal

mines wednesday reserves

I amen't a glory hunter, I just appreciate flowing, exciting football. Over the past year my friends have started giving me more and more abuse about who I "support". The official line is Wednesday, but then when they ask to name 5 players and I can't my cover is blown.

So, Sheffield Wednesday - I want a divorce. I've met someone else and I think it's serious.

Jovan, Dublin

pfffttt no loss

lets hope we get some serious BOTTLE AND GUTS from there

Definatly thats whats needed right now! Young players always have a point to prove and show complete hunger and desire in everything they do, if things dont get better in the coming weeks id be tempted to throw 1 or 2 of them in :ph34r:

Would give the 1st team a wake up call

Definatly thats whats needed right now! Young players always have a point to prove and show complete hunger and desire in everything they do, if things dont get better in the coming weeks id be tempted to throw 1 or 2 of them in :ph34r:

Would give the 1st team a wake up call

dont know if there is anyone in the reserves right now who has the ability to come in and do a job for us in the first team,butany one who is prepared to battle and scrap for our survival would be worth a gamble as we are not seeing any fight from our first teamers at the moment

i was going to post a thread similar to this.

does anyone have a 'premiership team' its something my saints fan friend asked me. I said no because i support wednesday and thats it. even if im watching a game like Chelsea Arsenal i dont really care who wins at all (unless ive got money on it)

in my mind i dont think its possible to support two teams

does anyone have a 'premiership team' its something my saints fan friend asked me. I said no because i support wednesday and thats it. even if im watching a game like Chelsea Arsenal i dont really care who wins at all (unless ive got money on it)

not possible to support a second team especially Arsenal or any one playing in Red,never even buy anthing Red .

when I watch a neutral game, 99% of the time I'll want one side to win more than the other, out of the top 3 this season, I'd slightly prefer it if Arsenal won the league, but won't mind if Man U do and hate Chelsea (despite owning 2 Chelsea tops for one reason or another :ph34r: ) but I would never support another team other than the Super Owls