Football Regulation Bill

16 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:
  • The Lords looking to block foreign state ownership of football clubs

Funnily enough it's ex Sheffield Council Leader Lord Scriven driving that one.

I'd like to see this happen but I'm not holding my breath - for some reason the Government doesn't really seem to care that authoritarian states can buy up Newcastle and Man City fans' affections with their bottomless pockets.

13 hours ago, Hoofit said:

Latest thoughts & recommendations on the Bill from Fair Game are here:

https://www.fairgameuk.org/gov-bill-more-info

No harm at all in emailing your local MP pushing for the Bill to be amended in line with them

Speaking of Fair Game, I hadn't realised that they'd scored every team in the EPL and EFL for how well they're run.

Naturally we're one of the worst run professional clubs in England. The figures are from last season when we were in League One but we were the worst in the entire division - and the only club in the whole country to score zero for financial sustainability! 

Screenshot_20240323-095655.thumb.png.8f2f179950ca74f2886009c446573d86.png

• Like 2

The Bill is now in second reading in parliament, indicating that it is being fast-tracked.

Second reading will release funds needed to establiish the Shadow Regulator that will start working with the leagues and clubs on the transition to full operation when the Bill passes.

The Shadow Regulator implementation unit has already recruited a team. So even if full regulation is some time away the bow waves of the regulator will start to make themselves felt very soon.

The government has also published a whole raft of fact sheets and explanatory documents about the different aspects of the Bill @:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/football-governance-bill-supporting-documents#:~:text=The Football Governance Bill will,local communities football clubs service.

Breaking it down in this way makes it much easier to understand how the whole freamework hangs together.

• Thanks 2

The Football Governance Bill unaimously passed its 2nd reading in parliament yesterday. That was the first time the bill was debated in the House of Commons.

It was an excellent debate with some really good contributions and interventions from all sides.

For anyone  interested the full transcript is available here:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2024-04-23a.827.0

Look out for the contributions relating to Wednesday from Clive Betts MP (Sheffield South East).

The bill now moves on to committee stage where it will be examined line by line and amendments can be tabled.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

The Football Governance Bill unaimously passed its 2nd reading in parliament yesterday. That was the first time the bill was debated in the House of Commons.

It was an excellent debate with some really good contributions and interventions from all sides.

Look out for the contributions relating to Wednesday from Clive Betts MP (Sheffield South East).

The bill now moves on to committee stage where it will be examined line by line and amendments can be tabled.

We get quite a few mentions - thanks for highlighting it. 👍

1 hour ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Nice update - thank you.

Hopefully more tightening up of the sanctioning powers within. Overall, a positive piece of legislation. 

Permission requested to still err on the side of caution. I have some faith in the bill but do not entirely trust the men in grey suits to fully deliver. 

On 20/03/2024 at 10:21, HarrowbyOwl said:

Here's a rundown of the main provisions of the bill

• Establishing a new independent regulator. The IFR will operate a licensing system, where all clubs in scope will need a licence to operate. It is intended that all clubs in the top five tiers of men’s English football will be in scope of the regulatory regime.
  • Establishing strengthened Owners’ and Directors’ Tests to make sure club custodians are suitable.
  • Enabling the use of targeted financial regulation to improve the financial resilience of individual clubs and the system more broadly.
  • Setting a minimum standard of fan engagement and requiring clubs to comply with club heritage protections.
  • Requiring clubs to seek IFR pre-approval for any sale of, or relocation from, their home ground.
  • Preventing English clubs from joining prohibited competitions that do not have the support of the fans or that threaten the heritage or sustainability of English football.
  • Giving the IFR targeted backstop powers to intervene in financial distributions if necessary and subject to certain thresholds being met, in order to ensure financial sustainability.
  • Establishing a ‘Football Club Corporate Governance Code’, requiring regulated clubs to report on how they are applying the code of practice.
  • Periodically prepare and publish a comprehensive ‘State of Game’ report, which will act as a market study for football and provide the IFR with a key evidence base.

I’d really like to see these pointers applied to the ‘governers’ IE the FA and EFL. Let’s see they are fit and proper and committed in their roles of stewarding for the huge majority in the pyramid and not just the peak. 

On 23/03/2024 at 08:49, Umeeksk said:

Funnily enough it's ex Sheffield Council Leader Lord Scriven driving that one.

I'd like to see this happen but I'm not holding my breath - for some reason the Government doesn't really seem to care that authoritarian states can buy up Newcastle and Man City fans' affections with their bottomless pockets.

The Lords have this part absolutely right. Foreign state ownership (masked via complex investment vehicles, as we see currently) is not healthy for the game. Not one bit

Edited by F. Spiksley
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

The Lords have this part absolutely right. Foreign state ownership (masked via complex investment vehicles, as we see currently) is not healthy for the game. Not one bit

Absolutely agree. The government would be hard pressed to find one supporter, except maybe for those directly benefitting, who thinks its acceptable. Yet as it stands its ruled out of the regulator's powers.

Even worse, the bill says that regulator must take account of government foreign and trade policy when deciding who is a suitable owner of a football club. Outrageous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Absolutely agree. The government would be hard pressed to find one supporter, except maybe for those directly benefitting, who thinks its acceptable. Yet as it stands its ruled out of the regulator's powers.

Even worse, the bill says that regulator must take account of government foreign and trade policy when deciding who is a suitable owner of a football club. Outrageous.

Thanks.

Well I'm now leaning more towards the bill being much more effective than I first thought it would be!

Hopefully the amendedmemts and clarifications deal with some of the "perceived" shortcomings.

You're  winning me over HarrowbyOwl!

Thanks for the updates btw.

9 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

Thanks.

Well I'm now leaning more towards the bill being much more effective than I first thought it would be!

Hopefully the amendedmemts and clarifications deal with some of the "perceived" shortcomings.

You're  winning me over HarrowbyOwl!

Thanks for the updates btw.

You're welcome. Glad you've come to your senses😀

If I were a fan of a well-run club I'd look at the bill and shrug. But its actually tailor-made to deal with some if the deep seated problems at SWFC - unstable finances,  lack of sound fiancial management and corporate governance, lack of strategy and planning and a manifestly unsuitable ownership.

Edited by HarrowbyOwl
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I didn’t have time to read it all but will try to at the weekend.

However, as argued by Clive Betts, if the Regulator has no authority to get their hands dirty with parachute payments - it’s a complete waste of time.

7 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I didn’t have time to read it all but will try to at the weekend.

However, as argued by Clive Betts, if the Regulator has no authority to get their hands dirty with parachute payments - it’s a complete waste of time.

Agree. There was also a lot of concern about it expressed by MPs in the debate. There's a chance it will get amended in committee, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Don't agree that the whole bill is awaste of time though - not for us at least. The licensing system is very strong 

45 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Agree. There was also a lot of concern about it expressed by MPs in the debate. There's a chance it will get amended in committee, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Don't agree that the whole bill is awaste of time though - not for us at least. The licensing system is very strong 

With you on this @HarrowbyOwl

Not a day goes by without yet another example of why licensing is crucial surfacing in S6. Bring it on!

1 hour ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Perhaps waste of time was harsh.

However the unfair competition is the major problem for football in the past 20 years in my opinion.

As perfectly illustrated this year by Luton, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Leeds & Southampton.

Until they sort out parachute payments and FFP in a more balanced way - football is ruined forever.

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Perhaps waste of time was harsh.

However the unfair competition is the major problem for football in the past 20 years in my opinion.

As perfectly illustrated this year by Luton, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Leeds & Southampton.

Until they sort out parachute payments and FFP in a more balanced way - football is ruined forever.

I agree. If there wasn't such a chasm between the riches of the Premier League and the crumbs from the table for the EFL, relegated clubs wouldn't face fiancial ruin and need parachute payments. Parachute payments make a mockery of fair competition in the Championship IMO.