Football Regulation Bill to be published tomorrow

On 19/03/2024 at 11:01, @owlstalk said:

It needs to be rock solid 

Otherwise the clubs could just say that the fans forum do that 

You know…

Those nights where the gimmers all go down to Hillsborough to bow and scrape and give standing ovations to the chairman 

This was a good interview from the Supporters Rep from Lincoln City on what his role is:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-price-of-football/id1482886394?i=1000646465298

After listening I thought - if we had an official supporters trust I’d gladly pay a levy of £5 on a season ticket to fund it. And that trust elects a representative to be on the board. 

£5 x 20,000 = £100,000 

(Ok some will be child tickets so perhaps they don’t pay..) maybe SWFC members could be members of the group too. 

Imagine what good a proper supporters association could do in the community with part of that money after what is used to administer the association. 

There are problems with cliques and societies of course and you need safeguards on term limits and constitutions and so on. But having it as part of your season ticket maybe helps to keep participation up. 

A bit pie in the sky and naive for English football maybe but it’d be great if we were all a bit more German about how we were involved with our clubs. 

2 minutes ago, MotherGoose said:

It’s not to criticise the existing trust because I applaud anyone who is willing to give up their time to do something. But it could be so much more if they had a real voice and a larger membership 

I agree its not been a very high profile trust. I think launching in 2020 just when Covid hit derailed the organsiation a lot

6 minutes ago, MotherGoose said:

One with an actual purpose and wide membership that represents more than the few people who opt in. 

The Trust’s potential is massive but to be fulfilled it certainly needs to grow in membership. Why not help make this happen & join? Better to shape & influence from within??

4 minutes ago, Hoofit said:

The Trust’s potential is massive but to be fulfilled it certainly needs to grow in membership. Why not help make this happen & join? Better to shape & influence from within??

Yeah, you’re right of course. I’m already a Wednesdayite member. 

Edited by MotherGoose

10 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

What do you mean by that?

I’m trying to say, imho, that the draft bill isn’t watertight and I think clubs will find many loopholes and ways to avoid any sanctions that may be attempted to be imposed on them as a result of any perceived breaches of regulation.

its going to be a long and drawn out legal bang-a-rang.

On 18/03/2024 at 22:28, HarrowbyOwl said:

A lot of people wanted the regulator to be a branch of the FA before the Fan-led review recommended (and the government accepted) that the FA was part of years of failed self-regulation.

It is recognised that the regulator has to be independent of the FA , the leagues and government

Footballs ruling body with the  provision that all the old farts of before are swept aside. 

13 hours ago, trumbullowl said:

There'll be consultants. Advising clubs how to meet the regulations. Parasites.

Most well run clubs will have in-house legal counsel already but you're right the legal teams will be busy ensuring clubs are compliant with regulations. Its the same in any regulated industry.

The legislation has been drafted in such a way that the regulator will be proportionate in the way regulations will be imposed on smaller clubs in the lower leagues in order not to impose heavy compliance costs.

• Thanks 1

Looking at Joe Cranns interview on twitter. It appears they are very keen on sorting out parachute payments and equalising funding through leagues this will be a good step and obviously the PlL clubs are not keen. 

I think some will be disappointed with powers given to fans. If any body is elected to a board they have corporate responsibility and have to speak with a united voice with other board members. Wednesday have numerous pressure groups and not all have same interests and some conflict so you may get a fans representative being at a difference with other fans groups. Also if a decision is taken which impacts revenue of the club where does the funding come from to cover the costs. If owner decides he will not put hand in his pocket, will the regulator stump up the money or does club get put into receivership with all the bells and whistles that comes with it. Club badges, colour of strips, names are cosmetic but fundamental money decisions I cannot see being included. Also if it was decided to move stadium because Hillsborough was too expensive to upgrade economically how would this be judged?

Think will be good thing but I would not think it will be anywhere near as encompassing as some posts have hoped.

Shock, horror! EFL club wants to put supporters at the heart of decision making…..avert your eyes DC…..

Bolton Wanderers welcomes the introduction of the historic Football Governance Bill to UK Parliament.

Neil Hart, Chief Executive Officer at Bolton Wanderers said: “On behalf of our Chair Sharon Brittan, Board of Directors and shareholders, players, staff, stakeholders, Supporters’ Trust, all fans of Bolton Wanderers Football Club and our entire community we offer our full support to the arrival of today’s Football Governance Bill.

“As we continue to make significant progress with our fan engagement strategy, this Bill reflects our firm belief that supporters should be at the heart of decision-making.”

• Like 1