Squeaky Bum Time - Form and Fixtures

Rather than dwelling on yesterday, let's look forward to the business end of the season, which kicks off after the international break.

Here's a visual representation of our remaining fixtures, along with those of our relegation rivals (I don’t think I’d swap ours with any of the others!) :

OT - Upcoming Fixtures.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Here's some ramblings about the chances of each team, taking the above into account: 

Blackburn are dropping like a stone and their fixtures look horrific. Unless they can find a way to convert their knack for drawing into victories PDQ, they’ll be joining our good friends from t’other side of Meadowhall in League One next season.

Plymouth have also been struggling for form of late… even at Fortress Home Park! Whether they can avoid the drop or not is likely to boil down to performances in their remaining 6- pointers.

Stoke are in pretty much the same place as Plymouth in terms of form and remaining fixtures. Their inferior goal difference could be all that separates them when the fat lady sings.

QPR’s form is the best of the bunch. Unless that changes, they’ll be fine.

Birmingham’s form is arguably the worst of the bunch. So, the polar opposite to QPR because if that doesn’t change, they have everything to worry about.

Huddersfield seem to be the Jekyll and Hyde of the group with good and bad performances seeming to come at random, which makes them the most difficult one to predict. More bad than good from now on, please Terriers!

Wednesday have obviously done well against fair-to-middling opposition (except Huddersfield) and not so well against the top sides. Fortunately, our remaining two games against promotion-chasing sides are at home, so we should be in every game from now on.

So, based on all of that, here’s my best guess on how the final table will look:

OT - Table.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Here's some ramblings about the chances of each team, taking the above into account: 

Blackburn are dropping like a stone and their fixtures look horrific. Unless they can find a way to convert their knack for drawing into victories PDQ, they’ll be joining our good friends from t’other side of Meadowhall in League One next season.

Plymouth have also been struggling for form of late… even at Fortress Home Park! Whether they can avoid the drop or not is likely to boil down to performances in their remaining 6- pointers.

Stoke are in pretty much the same place as Plymouth in terms of form and remaining fixtures. Their inferior goal difference could be all that separates them when the fat lady sings.

Birmingham’s form is arguably the worst of the bunch. So, the polar opposite to QPR because if that doesn’t change, they have everything to worry about.

Huddersfield seem to be the Jekyll and Hyde of the group with good and bad performances seeming to come at random, which makes them the most difficult one to predict. More bad than good from now on, please Terriers!

Wednesday have obviously done well against fair-to-middling opposition (except Huddersfield) and not so well against the top sides. Fortunately, our remaining two games against promotion-chasing sides are at home, so we should be in every game from now on.

So, based on all of that, here’s my best guess on how the final table will look:

OT - Table.jpg

Think similar to this but think stoke will go instead of Blackburn 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

OT - Table.jpg

Stoke above Huddersfield with same points but a worse goal difference ?

• Haha 1

everybody doing the same thing.

this from Plymouth forum.

they have us safe too.

Sheff Wed have Leeds H-0 ✅, Ipswich A-0 ✅, Swansea H-3, Boro A-1, QPR A-0, Norwich H-3, Stoke H-3, Blackburn A-3, WBA H-0 and Sunderland A-0.
13 points = 51

QPR: Boro H-3 ❌ (0) , Sunderland A-1 ✅, Birmingham H-3, Swansea A-1, Sheff Wed H-3, Argyle A-1, Hull A-1, PNE H-3, Leeds H-0 and Coventry A-0.
14 points = 50

Millwall: Birmingham H-3 ✅, Leeds A-0 ✅, WBA H-0, Rotherham A-3, Huddersfield A-0, Leicester H-0, Cardiff H-1, Sunderland A-1 Argyle H-1 and Swansea A-0.
9 points = 49

Huddersfield: WBA H-0 ✅ Rotherham A-3 ❌ (1), Coventry H-1, Stoke A-1, Millwall H-3, PNE A-0, Bristol City A-1, Swansea H-1, Birmingham H-3 and Ipswich A-0.
13 points = 49

ARGYLE: Blackburn A-0 ❌ (1), Preston H-1 ❌ (0) ,Norwich A-0, Bristol City H-1, Rotherham A-3, QPR H1, Leicester H-0, Stoke A-0, Millwall A-1 & Hull H-1.
7 points = 48

Stoke Preston A-1 ❌ (3), Norwich H-3 ❌(0), Hull A-0, Huddersfield H-1, WBA H-0, Swansea A-0, Sheff Wed A-0, Argyle H-3, Southampton A-0 and Bristol City H-1.
9 points = 47

--------------

Blackburn: Argyle H-3 ❌ (1), Boro A-0 ❌ (1), Ipswich H0, Sunderland A1, Southampton H0, Bristol City A1, Leeds A0, Sheff Wed H0, Coventry H3 & Leicester A0.
8 points = 48 (47)

Birmingham: Millwall A-0 ✅, Boro H-3 ❌ (0) , Watford H-3 ❌ (0), QPR A-0, PNE H-1, Leicester A-0, Cardiff H-1, Coventry H-0, Rotherham A-3, Huddersfield A-0 and Norwich H-1.
9 points = 46

Rotherham 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Birmingham and Blackburn for me.

Both appointed new managers recently in the hope of a lift and for whatever reason it hasn’t worked out. Both’s form is awful. And I hadn’t realised Blackburn’s run-in was so bad. Plus they are massively reliant on one player and have stuff going off behind the scenes. 

Our run-in looks like the easiest (relatively speaking) of all the strugglers - none of the top four to play and only two play-off chasers, both at home. 

btw there’s at least a couple of errors in Wednesdays stats - says W4 D4 L2 when in fact it the coloured blocks are W4 D2 L4 but even that’s not right as you have Bristol C down as a draw when in fact we won, so should be W5 D1 L4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

Birmingham and Blackburn for me.

Both appointed new managers recently in the hope of a lift and for whatever reason it hasn’t worked out. Both’s form is awful. And I hadn’t realised Blackburn’s run-in was so bad. Plus they are massively reliant on one player and have stuff going off behind the scenes. 

Our run-in looks like the easiest (relatively speaking) of all the strugglers - none of the top four to play and only two play-off chasers, both at home. 

btw there’s at least a couple of errors in Wednesdays stats - says W4 D4 L2 when in fact it the coloured blocks are W4 D2 L4 but even that’s not right as you have Bristol C down as a draw when in fact we won, so should be W5 D1 L4

Thanks for the heads up Paul. I'm planning on updating this after each game now, so I'll make those corrections in readiness... 

19 hours ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Here's both of the above combined:

OT - Combined.jpg

We beat Bristol City! 

This is brilliant though. And I agree with your bottom 3 prediction. I've been banging on about Blackburn's brutal run in for a while.

I think a lot of these predictions that have us safe are assuming we avoid defeat at Blackburn. That will surely be a tough game - of Blackburn's 8 remaining games, us at home is by far their easiest. They will be playing that one like it is their cup final, knowing if they win that one then half their battle is won.