Sancho sent it Coventry

A big money flop unfortunately with possible disciplinary issues 

He’s had a pop back at Ten Haag and he’s out the door 

More drama for Man U 

Sancho moved to Old Trafford from Borussia Dortmund for £73m in 2021.

But he has struggled for consistent form since making the switch, and has scored only nine goals and provided just six assists in his 58 Premier League appearances.

Last season Sancho spent three months battling physical and mental issues, with Ten Hag at one point saying the England international was not fit enough to play.

He returned to action in the EFL Cup semi-final win against Nottingham Forest on 1 February and a week later sparked a comeback against Leeds United in the Premier League, scoring the equaliser in a 2-2 draw.

Ten Hag spoke of his pride in "magnificent" Sancho in the aftermath, but Sancho's involvement has lessened since then.

He has made three substitute appearances this season with United winning two and losing two of their opening four Premier League fixtures.

2 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Man U's recruitment has been so bad for many years now. They pay over the odds for average players.

I think this is more about what happens when players arrive there, tbh.

Sancho was tearing it up at Dortmund and looked like one of England's most exciting prospects, and for a player of his form, profile and age I'd say 70mil can't be far off the going modern rate. From a recruitment perspective I think it was a fairly sound signing.

There's just no foundation for anyone to succeed at United anymore. They spend the money on the players, throw them in and expect them to carry the team while gaping holes still exist in the squad for years and years. To be fair I thought Ten Hag looked like the closest United have come to backing a manager with an actual plan since Fergie left, although the start to this year doesn't suggest that's going particularly well..

• Like 3

Think he's another one who was signed based off his name and the hype surrounding him, as opposed to any thought process regarding how he would fit into the side, improve them etc. 

Having watched him, I am amazed at how bloody slow he is. 

22 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think this is more about what happens when players arrive there, tbh.

Sancho was tearing it up at Dortmund and looked like one of England's most exciting prospects, and for a player of his form, profile and age I'd say 70mil can't be far off the going modern rate. From a recruitment perspective I think it was a fairly sound signing.

I read an interesting article on Sancho a few weeks ago.

Basically it argued that as a winger Sancho was a bit of a peculiarity in football terms. When taking on players during his time at Dortmund his stats weren't anything special. He was tackled far too often, and while he had a decent number successful take-ons at Bundesliga level, it was much lower against elite opponents. In two out of three Champions League appearances with Dortmund he failed to create a single chance from taking on and beating a defender. What he did do very well was use space intuitively and make and receive passes with an extremely high success rate. Basically he thrives in a team big on combination play where he can interact with his teammates.

In other words, he's not necessarily a bad player, but you've got to understand his attributes and consider whether they suit the teams style. Man Utd just thought they were getting an oven ready superstar.

Having said that, there are rumours that his teammates are not entirely enamoured of Sancho and there have apparently been question marks about his character and professional behaviour since before his time at Man Utd, so maybe there is some truth in what we're hearing.

• Like 1