Euro 2021

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Portugal biggest disappointment so far in this competition, struggled v Hungary, looking 2nd best v Germany 

Good game this but Germany definitely deserving their lead as things stand. They got caught by a sucker punch when they were on top but have responded well. Portugal lucky only to be 1 down.

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Germany not playing bad, but perhaps lacking a bit of a cutting edge. 

They've found a cutting edge, courtesy of the opposition! 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe, and probably more significant for us as it was against the neighbours but still, I expect they will brush it off quicker and have less focus on the manager. Suppose it helps when the manager won the last World Cup as well though. 

I do sometimes feel like it means more to us, when I've spoken to foreign football fans it's more an entertainment for them whereas we take it personally. 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I do sometimes feel like it means more to us, when I've spoken to foreign football fans it's more an entertainment for them whereas we take it personally. 

It's an interesting point that. Spain & Italy have long had daily sports papers dedicated to football and in Italy especially the crowds are very partizan but I would agree with you that they seem to be able to get over a bad result quicker than us.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

It's an interesting point that. Spain & Italy have long had daily sports papers dedicated to football and in Italy especially the crowds are very partizan but I would agree with you that they seem to be able to get over a bad result quicker than us.

We do get very emotive about it all. 

Just look on here after a defeat lol 

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Its going to be tight for third place qualification, there could potentially be teams in every group finishing third on four points. 

Yeah, last time Portugal and Northern Ireland got through with 3 points, can't see that happening this time. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, last time Portugal and Northern Ireland got through with 3 points, can't see that happening this time. 

Portugal got through without winning a bloody game. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Portugal got through without winning a bloody game. 

They only won one game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They only won one game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament.

Indeed, which was the Welsh. 

Perhaps the most underwhelming major tournament win I've ever witnessed. 

Unfortunately, UEFA seem to enjoy removing as much jeopardy as possible from their competitions, what with their brilliant new proposal for the Champions League. 

Fact is that even though last night's performance by England was very disappointing, they are pretty much all but there bar a complete meltdown. 

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeh when I was at uni we were watching euro 2016 and this Italian guy was wondering why everyone was not jumping about like it's some sort of party. It's not really a party for us it's just purely nerve wracking for a couple of hours lol 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh when I was at uni we were watching euro 2016 and this Italian guy was wondering why everyone was not jumping about like it's some sort of party. It's not really a party for us it's just purely nerve wracking for a couple of hours lol 

You were at Uni in 2016? 

Was this some sort of Twenty One Jump Street Scenario? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Indeed, which was the Welsh. 

Perhaps the most underwhelming major tournament win I've ever witnessed. 

Unfortunately, UEFA seem to enjoy removing as much jeopardy as possible from their competitions, what with their brilliant new proposal for the Champions League. 

Fact is that even though last night's performance by England was very disappointing, they are pretty much all but there bar a complete meltdown. 

Yep, UEFA competitions do seem to be designed to prevent the big names being knocked out too early. 

Greece in 2004 would give Portugal a good run as the most boring winners but at least they were genuine underdogs, Portugal blagged it despite being favourites in most of their games.