Euro 2021

2 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Not really, by the same logic you can say Belgium, Netherlands and Italy's performances put it into perspective.

We were rubbish and need to do so much better. 

But the teams that go deep in tournaments rarely start of like a train. France were far from their best in the group stage in the last world cup, Portugal couldn't buy a win in 2016.  

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I think the issue is less the result and more the baffling performance

I can see what Spain are trying to do - i can see what France were trying to do

I didn't have a clue what Englands gameplan was last night

100% agree with this.

let’s see if we come out swinging on Tuesday and we can just forget it

5 minutes ago, scram said:

I think the issue is less the result and more the baffling performance

I can see what Spain are trying to do - i can see what France were trying to do

I didn't have a clue what Englands gameplan was last night

But I could see what England wanted to do against Croatia and it worked effectively.

It is fine being able to see what Spain are trying to do - but they are persisting with something that isn't working. 

Our game plan was poor last night and the subs were also poorly made and ineffective in my opinion but we are in a better position than some similar rated nations right now. 

Lets see how we react next game.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But the teams that go deep in tournaments rarely start of like a train. France were far from their best in the group stage in the last world cup, Portugal couldn't buy a win in 2016.  

Fair, but I'd still be far more comfortable if we'd gone out and played with a purpose and a plan last night. We've now turned the fans and the media against us again.

Play lacklustre again against Czech Republic and we go into the next stages nervy, not knowing our best team or style of play and the fans on our back.

Like Scram said, I've seen this movie a million times, we all know how it ends.

• Like 1

The selection for the czech game is crucial. 

If Southgate makes just 2 or 3 changes we are in big trouble in terms of going deep imo. 

We have good players ready to come in, Bellingham, Sancho, DCL, Grealish, off the top of my head. We also have Maguire needing minutes and the option to drop Mount or Foden a little deeper to alter our style a little. 

I won't hold my breath 

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But I could see what England wanted to do against Croatia and it worked effectively.

It is fine being able to see what Spain are trying to do - but they are persisting with something that isn't working. 

Our game plan was poor last night and the subs were also poorly made and ineffective in my opinion but we are in a better position than some similar rated nations right now. 

Lets see how we react next game.

TBF we were'nt great against Croatia but we won the game so it papered over the performance

we are really struggling to make chances and didn't create against croatia or scotland with any aplomb

We were okay against Croatia but there stillwasn't a real plan - other than Phillips getting the run of midfield and making good use of it

When Scotland shut that avenue we had no plan B

Edited by scram

3 minutes ago, scram said:

TBF we were'nt great against Croatia but we won the game so it papered over the performance

we are really struggling to make chances and didn't create against croatia or scotland with any aplomb

We were okay against Croatia but there stillwasn't a real plan - other than Phillips getting the run of midfield and making good use of it

When Scotland shut that avenue we had no plan B

I disagree with the Croatia game. We created good chances early on, as you said in the Southgate thread, goals change games and had we taken an early chance it could have been a more resounding win. As it was we never looked like losing and had good control after we scored, it was a decent display in tough conditions. I don't think we have ever gone through a group convincingly since I started watching England in 86 so not really surprised we haven't done so now.

I agree on a lack of a plan B though and that is a concern in terms of going deep into the tournament. We failed to react and try something different when it was clear Croatia were getting on top of us in 2018 and last night when the bold change would have been to take of one of the 2 holders we stuck with it. Throwing Rashford down the middle but not changing the style of play to suit him more was also an error.

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I disagree with the Croatia game. We created good chances early on, as you said in the Southgate thread, goals change games and had we taken an early chance it could have been a more resounding win. As it was we never looked like losing and had good control after we scored, it was a decent display in tough conditions. I don't think we have ever gone through a group convincingly since I started watching England in 86 so not really surprised we haven't done so now.

I agree on a lack of a plan B though and that is a concern in terms of going deep into the tournament. We failed to react and try something different when it was clear Croatia were getting on top of us in 2018 and last night when the bold change would have been to take of one of the 2 holders we stuck with it. Throwing Rashford down the middle but not changing the style of play to suit him more was also an error.

I think your second paragraph nails it

We just change players rather than how we play

We have seen it so many times

The best coaches cause problems by mixing things up tactically when needed - we never do

I also think our failure to really assess Sancho is criminal

he's been one of the best performers in Germany over 3 years - we need to give him an opportunity to replicate that for us

• Like 1

Uefa's crime squad on the case again.

German goalkeeper wore a rainbow arm band ,Tut Tut.

Anti BLM banner and March by a section of Hungary fans.

Anti gay chanting and banners by, some Hungary fans.

On last form Neur will get a year ban and UEFA will move games to Hungary from Wembley.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scram said:

I think your second paragraph nails it

We just change players rather than how we play

We have seen it so many times

The best coaches cause problems by mixing things up tactically when needed - we never do

I also think our failure to really assess Sancho is criminal

he's been one of the best performers in Germany over 3 years - we need to give him an opportunity to replicate that for us

Bang on, best coaches will change things. Southgate has enough talent to switch the way we play to something different if things are not going well. Might help if FA told Southgate he was sacked if we did badly instead of giving him job security. 

Grealish hugging left touchline?? He always manages to draw a free kick  bring him in 10 yards and let him win them where we can be dangerous. 

• Like 1