The first ten minutes

I like Monk, but his “first ten minutes” mantra in the post-match interview doesn’t cut it for me. Yes, when we lost Luongo and faced an uphill struggle to get back on terms, he recognised he had to do something. But, replacing Sam Winnall with Atdhe! Come on, Winnall had done nothing wrong; he had had no service to give him a chance to do anything because of our midfield inferiority. Hardly surprising Atdhe made no difference. What’s more, and acknowledging that he has been a game changer, he is still slow and lacks the stamina to run for 10 minutes let alone a full match. I would argue it needed a more radical solution - perhaps bringing Sam Hutchinson on and pushing Adam Reach more forward to support Winnall. Anyway, for their overall dreadful performance, I think the whole team should forfeit half a week’s wages and give the money to the children’s hospital or Weston Park. Then they need to buck up or face a summer clear out.

3 minutes ago, Dot said:

sorry but wiinall is flipping rubbish

sooner he leaves the better

Playing him up front on his own and then launching the ball up when he is second favorite to win it every time is mental. 

But I agree. He’s lightweight and offers next to nothing. Him and Jordan need to go ASAP. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DidOwl said:

I like Monk, but his “first ten minutes” mantra in the post-match interview doesn’t cut it for me. Yes, when we lost Luongo and faced an uphill struggle to get back on terms, he recognised he had to do something. But, replacing Sam Winnall with Atdhe! Come on, Winnall had done nothing wrong; he had had no service to give him a chance to do anything because of our midfield inferiority. Hardly surprising Atdhe made no difference. What’s more, and acknowledging that he has been a game changer, he is still slow and lacks the stamina to run for 10 minutes let alone a full match. I would argue it needed a more radical solution - perhaps bringing Sam Hutchinson on and pushing Adam Reach more forward to support Winnall. Anyway, for their overall dreadful performance, I think the whole team should forfeit half a week’s wages and give the money to the children’s hospital or Weston Park. Then they need to buck up or face a summer clear out.

Surely the early stages of a game are more dependent on team selection and team set up, than the later stages of the game. Remind me who decides those factors. 

2 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Surely the early stages of a game are more dependent on team selection and team set up, than the later stages of the game. Remind me who decides those factors. 

Well he selected the team that had just put in 2 excellent performances and got 2 great results. 

His complaint in the first 10 was we had the opportunity to be positive and we chose not to, which was a correct summary.

31 minutes ago, DidOwl said:

The 'first ten minutes mantra' was Monk recognising that the red card was not the only reason we lost today, we were horrendous before it. 

3 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Well he selected the team that had just put in 2 excellent performances and got 2 great results. 

His complaint in the first 10 was we had the opportunity to be positive and we chose not to, which was a correct summary.

Guest wilyfox

Monk is right, the first 10 minutes are crucial. It's at that point Wednesday fans should realise they need a mercy wánk and go take care of business. It sorts ya right out. 

Edited by wilyfox