Goalscorers

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Awww... only playing for 75-80 minutes a game?. Life is SO unfair. No wonder he couldn't score. If only they'd given him the extra 10-15 minutes, I'm sure it would have been raining goals. Of course, other strikers are never substituted are they?

Just for the record, in the first 25 league games Wednesday played after he signed, he missed only 1 of them, starting 16 and coming on as substitute 9 times. He scored THREE goals in that half a season (although to be fair, he did also get a couple at Bolton in the League Cup). Only the most misty eyed fanboy could claim that was not a decent run of opportunities or a horrendous return for the record signing that "guarantees goals" TM.

By contrast, Dominic Iorfa matched that output in his first 7 appearances for us. Tom Lees scored twice in Christmas week. Morgan Fox got 2 in 9 games a few weeks back. Did they "need the service" TM? Live by the stats; die by the stats.

Keep wringing that stone. I'm sure some blood will come out of it one day. 

:laugh:

Im not trying to get blood our of a stone though. I was just remarking that our current midfield set up doesnt help get the best out of any of our forward players. Poachers thrive of through balls and cut backs into the box. Exactly what we arent doing. 

For what its worth, Rhodes joined in the january and sadly didnt hit the ground running. Since then on, its been a few games back in the team and then back to bit part appearances. Rinse and repeat and thats been his tale as a Wednesday player ever since. 

Now combine the two above factors and show me any striker that we have that has or is going to score hatfuls of goals in the same circumstances? Its not just Rhodes, its all of them. We dont make great chances for any of them. Havent done for seasons. Do you think Fletcher would have done half as well if he didnt score for 2 games and suddenly got dropped or used as a bit part sub for the next few games over and over? 

Rhodes is the type of player he is, and anyone expecting him to suddenly change up his game and become a self providing, player skinning, flick on winning goal machine is living in a fantasy world. He has always thrived on service and a supply set up to suit him. We simply cant give him that here. im not saying it as an excuse, im just trying to say that its not all down to Rhodes as your making it out. Its a combination of factors.

Seeing as Winnall aint playing well, Nuihu is struggling and Nando is likely gonna be off, is it not worth giving the lad a chance rather than straight out calling him out as not fit for purpose? The Forest game showed that theres still something there. The irony being that it was also the one game where our midfield dominated and did provide the forwards with a steady supply of ammunition and we scored 4. 

Im sure your bored of me by now so i wont reply again on the Rhodes topic. Not a fanboy, just think all aspects and parts of the equation should be taken into account and not just the one part. Hope your evenings been a good one DJ :biggrin:.

Edited by OwlinOldham

49 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Im not trying to get blood our of a stone though. I was just remarking that our current midfield set up doesnt help get the best out of any of our forward players. Poachers thrive of through balls and cut backs into the box. Exactly what we arent doing. 

For what its worth, Rhodes joined in the january and sadly didnt hit the ground running. Since then on, its been a few games back in the team and then back to bit part appearances. Rinse and repeat and thats been his tale as a Wednesday player ever since. 

Now combine the two above factors and show me any striker that we have that has or is going to score hatfuls of goals in the same circumstances? Its not just Rhodes, its all of them. We dont make great chances for any of them. Havent done for seasons. Do you think Fletcher would have done half as well if he didnt score for 2 games and suddenly got dropped or used as a bit part sub for the next few games over and over? 

Rhodes is the type of player he is, and anyone expecting him to suddenly change up his game and become a self providing, player skinning, flick on winning goal machine is living in a fantasy world. He has always thrived on service and a supply set up to suit him. We simply cant give him that here. im not saying it as an excuse, im just trying to say that its not all down to Rhodes as your making it out. Its a combination of factors.

Seeing as Winnall aint playing well, Nuihu is struggling and Nando is likely gonna be off, is it not worth giving the lad a chance rather than straight out calling him out as not fit for purpose? The Forest game showed that theres still something there. The irony being that it was also the one game where our midfield dominated and did provide the forwards with a steady supply of ammunition and we scored 4. 

Im sure your bored of me by now so i wont reply again on the Rhodes topic. Not a fanboy, just think all aspects and parts of the equation should be taken into account and not just the one part. Hope your evenings been a good one DJ :biggrin:.

We definitely have some significant problems up front, just a few months after it seemed like we were absolutely loaded in that department.

I don't know what the reasons are, and for sure we haven't helped him much for various reasons, but Rhodes looks like he doesn't even believe himself that it will come good again. I'm not convinced that this is a malaise that has been brought about uniquely by our club or it's managers. There has barely been the tiniest hint that he can be effective despite plenty of opportunities. Someone like Nuhiu; as frustrating and mediocre as he is much of the time, at least can provide a spark from time to time. Rhodes has been afforded way too much patience and too many excuses solely because of scoring exploits from a long time ago and how enamoured some can get with that one superficial aspect of the game.

Plenty of forwards have made a living as part of a rotation. That's certainly been the case here the last few seasons as for quite a while we ridiculously had no fewer than 8 experienced options. Any comparisons with Fletcher and his situation aren't very useful because he has been a warrior this season and we have been much too reliant on him. He's given us everything that is needed from that position; including things that Rhodes even at his best could never offer. Good job he's playing the way he is because we haven't got a lot else. For now, unless something really comes out of the blue, all we can do is rotate the rest of them and hope for the best (assuming we can't be too active in the transfer market).

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

We definitely have some significant problems up front, just a few months after it seemed like we were absolutely loaded in that department.

I don't know what the reasons are, and for sure we haven't helped him much for various reasons, but Rhodes looks like he doesn't even believe himself that it will come good again. I'm not convinced that this is a malaise that has been brought about uniquely by our club or it's managers. There has barely been the tiniest hint that he can be effective despite plenty of opportunities. Someone like Nuhiu; as frustrating and mediocre as he is much of the time, at least can provide a spark from time to time. Rhodes has been afforded way too much patience and too many excuses solely because of scoring exploits from a long time ago and how enamoured some can get with that one superficial aspect of the game.

Plenty of forwards have made a living as part of a rotation. That's certainly been the case here the last few seasons as for quite a while we ridiculously had no fewer than 8 experienced options. Any comparisons with Fletcher and his situation aren't very useful because he has been a warrior this season and we have been much too reliant on him. He's given us everything that is needed from that position; including things that Rhodes even at his best could never offer. Good job he's playing the way he is because we haven't got a lot else. For now, unless something really comes out of the blue, all we can do is rotate the rest of them and hope for the best (assuming we can't be too active in the transfer market).

Just a thought on your deliberations, it will be interesting to see how he gets on once he does move to another club.