Goalscorers

All the best teams at this level have a top quality striker:

Leeds - Bamford

West Brom - Austin

Forest - Grabban

Brentford - Watkins

Fulham - Mitrovic

If we seriously want to compete for a Top 6 spot this season, we need to sign a striker in January. It baffles me that although we have strikers at the club, we only have who is competent at this level (Fletcher). We should look to move on the other 4 as soon as possible, as they are just dead wood sat there collecting dust. As has been suggested before, Brewster, Nketiah and Adams will be available on loan this window, however competition will be stiff for them. Therefore, some targets that are a bit more realistic may be Isaac Success (loan), Shane Long (loan) or Conor Chaplin (permanent). Either way, whatever happens this window, we must keep hold of Fletcher, Iorfa and Bannan, if we want any chance.

14 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Leeds - Bamford

West Brom - Austin

Forest - Grabban

Brentford - Watkins

Fulham - Mitrovic

If we seriously want to compete for a Top 6 spot this season, we need to sign a striker in January. It baffles me that although we have strikers at the club, we only have who is competent at this level (Fletcher). We should look to move on the other 4 as soon as possible, as they are just dead wood sat there collecting dust. As has been suggested before, Brewster, Nketiah and Adams will be available on loan this window, however competition will be stiff for them. Therefore, some targets that are a bit more realistic may be Isaac Success (loan), Shane Long (loan) or Conor Chaplin (permanent). Either way, whatever happens this window, we must keep hold of Fletcher, Iorfa and Bannan, if we want any chance.

Bamford is dross. Leeds fans dont even like him. Others are decent mind.

no point having a goal scorer if the service they are provided with is below par.

Im firmly starting the believe that our goals problem is more than just not having the right forwards and more to do with the midfield supply to them. 

There are numerous threads on here about how the middle 2 play too deep and if you think about it, this is likely a big reason why our forwards dont score so many.

Imagine how many more goals Fletchers clever play and movement would have got him if the balls played in to him were 5 yard through balls and clever cut backs. Instead its all 30 yard wonder balls in to him because the midfield is playing alongside the defence. 

Not saying its likely but a more positive midfield might also bring on one or two of the other strikers we have too. Winnall for example was a machine at this level whilst Hourihane was high up in the middle of the park supplying him. 

Edited by OwlinOldham
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Leeds - Bamford

West Brom - Austin

Forest - Grabban

Brentford - Watkins

Fulham - Mitrovic

We said this at the end of last season. So we signed two RB's and two CB's. Plus a winger and another on loan. No CM or strikers. Been like it for ages

2 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

no point having a goal scorer if the service they are provided with is below par.

Im firmly starting the believe that our goals problem is more than just not having the right forwards and more to do with the midfield supply to them. 

There are numerous threads on here about how the middle 2 play too deep and if you think about it, this is likely a big reason why our forwards dont score so many.

Imagine how many more goals Fletchers clever play and movement would have got him if the balls played in to him were 5 yard through balls and clever cut backs. Instead its all 30 yard wonder balls in to him because the midfield is playing alongside the defence. 

Not saying its likely but a more positive midfield might also bring on one or two of the other strikers we have too. Winnall for example was a machine at this level whilst Hourihane was high up in the middle of the park supplying him. 

Our midfield has been a mess for 3 years

The conundrum of who plays with Bannan and what formation we play. We have never addressed it.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

We said this at the end of last season. So we signed two RB's and two CB's. Plus a winger and another on loan. No CM or strikers. Been like it for ages

Luongo. 

4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Our midfield has been a mess for 3 years

The conundrum of who plays with Bannan and what formation we play. We have never addressed it.

Might be a bit controversial in saying this but I think Bannan is maybe part of the problem. 

For me the only way he can play is if its a 5 man midfield and he has 2 box to box players either side of him in the middle. We dont have that and we cannot accommodate the luxury of a deep lying play maker right now. 

As good as he is, I would consider leaving him out for a few games and seeing if a combo of the other CMs can get us playing further up the pitch and see if this makes a difference.

Rhodes and Winnall have no place in our squad and should be sold or paid up for the sake of their careers and the club. 
Nuhiu is worth retaining as a sub option as he is such a wild card of a player. He is useful to bring on to retain a lead, or to throw the ball into the box for if we need a goal. I agree that he has lost form recently and therefore should not be starting.

we should try a couple of forward players from the stiffs against Brighton . Borukov and maybe the kid Damba who was in the programme v Cardiff, and start blooding one from the bench over rest of this season. That leaves the need to recruit one more striker.

Edited by mcmigo

Might be a bit controversial in saying this but I think Bannan is maybe part of the problem. 

For me the only way he can play is if its a 5 man midfield and he has 2 box to box players either side of him in the middle. We dont have that and we cannot accommodate the luxury of a deep lying play maker right now. 

As good as he is, I would consider leaving him out for a few games and seeing if a combo of the other CMs can get us playing further up the pitch and see if this makes a difference.

Didnt want to start that topic myself, fear of retribution.... Haha. But yes i agree. I wonder if he causes more problems than he solves. He is arguably our best player but we have nevere had a system or other players that benefits us properly. 

• Like 2

The team are too reliant on him and consequently their own game drops off.

Instead of trying something themselves they think  "I'll give it Bazza, he''l do something with it". It's all to do with having a winning mental attitude.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Sorry missed him. Then we dont play him..

He's been a little unlucky with injuries. Each time he comes into the side and finds his feet, has to come out after a couple of games. More to come from him, I feel. 

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Didnt want to start that topic myself, fear of retribution.... Haha. But yes i agree. I wonder if he causes more problems than he solves. He is arguably our best player but we have nevere had a system or other players that benefits us properly. 

Think hes a phenomenal player and one of the best we have had for a long time. However, whilst hes playing deep like he does (for whatever the reasons), the forwards are likely going to suffer more than they would if he was in the final third playing the clever and quick passes we know he has in his locker. I do think when we play Borner and Iorfa at CB they actually push us up the pitch with their comfort on the ball. They also like to bring the ball out unlike Lees so Maybe this is the answer to getting Bannan further up the pitch? 

Edited by OwlinOldham
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Leeds - Bamford

West Brom - Austin

Forest - Grabban

Brentford - Watkins

Fulham - Mitrovic

Apart from Mitrovic, Fletcher is as good or better than all of those. The problem is at full back and on the flanks.

Also the midfield and other forwards need to chip in with more goals.

Bamford = 10 league goals, rest of Leeds = 33 goals

Austin = 8 league goals, rest of West Brom = 40 goals

Grabban = 14 goals, rest of Forest = 20 goals

Watkins = 17 goals, rest of Brentford = 24 goals

Mitrovic = 18 goals, rest of Fulham = 22 goals

Fletcher = 12 goals, rest of Wednesday = 25 goals

You can see the clear gulf between the top top and the chasing pack in these numbers.

• Like 2