Chelsea and loans

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

What that they faltered before the season ended lol

Like most seasons, they were up there from the start. 

Getting to the play offs is all well and good. But they are the championship. 

I can't wait for your next version of success, with the obligatory emoji of course.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Like most seasons, they were up there from the start. 

Getting to the play offs is all well and good. But they are the championship. 

I can't wait for your next version of success, with the obligatory emoji of course.

Ah but you said they falter and slip away.

Methinks a playoff final isn't slipping away is it?

They held their nerve to finish 6th, when others around them didn't. 

:Sid:

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

33 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Ah but you said they falter and slip away.

Methinks a playoff final isn't slipping away is it?

They held their nerve to finish 6th, when others around them didn't. 

:Sid:

So in your eyes failure is success. If memory serves their defence didn't hold its nerve in the play off final. 

But don't worry, we won't take your comfort blanket away.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

15 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

So in your eyes failure is success. If memory serves their defence didn't hold its nerve in the play off final. 

But don't worry, we won't take your comfort blanket away.

Again I'll repeat.

You said they slip and falter, yet they reached a playoff final. Not exactly slipping away is it? 

Can you see that now or do you have some sort of problem?

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Again I'll repeat.

You said they slip and falter, yet they reached a playoff final. Not exactly slipping away is it? 

Can you see that now or do you have some sort of problem?

I also referred to more than one season. You neglected to challenge that. I also referred to their last season in the premiership, something you don't seem to keen to mention. A record low points tally and relegated before we'd got to spring. 

Last season they were rebranded Frank Lampard's Derby, a great manager in the making, and he had some talent in that squad, some of it has gone back to where it came from. And yet they are still in the championship. 

And judging by your last comment, I suspect you're the kind of person who takes mirrors into phone boxes, long before last orders has been called.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I also referred to more than one season. You neglected to challenge that. I also referred to their last season in the premiership, something you don't seem to keen to mention. A record low points tally and relegated before we'd got to spring. 

Last season they were rebranded Frank Lampard's Derby, a great manager in the making, and he had some talent in that squad, some of it has gone back to where it came from. And yet they are still in the championship. 

And judging by your last comment, I suspect you're the kind of person who takes mirrors into phone boxes, long before last orders has been called.

And as I said, Derby have gone past the McLaren bottling days. They don't do that anymore. Their season in the Prem is neither here nor there, seen as they've actually been there this century unlike us. Again though you can't exactly call that bottling since they were poo all season and never got off the foot of the table.

On the point on Lampard, I see your point they are still in the championship. But he took Derby closer to the Prem than any of his predecessors have after McLaren himself, so I wouldn't class that as a failure or a falter when you consider it's his first management role. He did very well. I'm honest I'm hoping he goes Chelsea cos derby are a threat if FL is there IMO.

I'll give you a free pass on that dig considering how shocking it was lol

14 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

And as I said, Derby have gone past the McLaren bottling days. They don't do that anymore. Their season in the Prem is neither here nor there, seen as they've actually been there this century unlike us. Again though you can't exactly call that bottling since they were poo all season and never got off the foot of the table.

On the point on Lampard, I see your point they are still in the championship. But he took Derby closer to the Prem than any of his predecessors have after McLaren himself, so I wouldn't class that as a failure or a falter when you consider it's his first management role. He did very well. I'm honest I'm hoping he goes Chelsea cos derby are a threat if FL is there IMO.

I'll give you a free pass on that dig considering how shocking it was lol

Who said Lampard was a failure ? 

And as you were commenting on my post, then it's all relevant. But thanks for ducking it.

Now, go sleep it off,

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Who said Lampard was a failure ? 

And as you were commenting on my post, then it's all relevant. But thanks for ducking it.

Now, go sleep it off,

You said they falter as the season progresses. I pointed out they were 90 mins from promotion, not exactly faltering.

You were the one who first mentioned failure. And success. And Frank Lampard.

It is relevant in the fact that 'perennial underachievers' Derby have been in the top flight this century and we haven't. In that case, what does that make us. 

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

You said they falter as the season progresses. I pointed out they were 90 mins from promotion, not exactly faltering.

You were the one who first mentioned failure. And success. And Frank Lampard.

It is relevant in the fact that 'perennial underachievers' Derby have been in the top flight this century and we haven't. In that case, what does that make us. 

I now know how a teacher feels trying to educate a child who doesn't listen and goes off at tangents. 

Just like I didn't say Lampard is a failure, I dont and won't  compare us to Derby. 

Thankyou for confirming my point about the phone box. 

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I now know how a teacher feels trying to educate a child who doesn't listen and goes off at tangents. 

Just like I didn't say Lampard is a failure, I dont and won't  compare us to Derby. 

Thankyou for confirming my point about the phone box.

You need to re read your posts. I showed to you that Derby didn't falter this season after you claimed they do every year. To me, reaching the playoffs but then losing isn't faltering. Finishing 8th after being 1st all year is, one occasion which I'll happily give to you.

Why can't we compare us? Are you sad that the underachievers have achieved more than us in the last 20 years?

You should compare us, similar sized football clubs in similar financial holes with similar squad ability. Derby and Sheffield as cities have similarities too.

Phone boxes don't exist anymore btw.

I was delighted Villa won the play off final. Really good for us.

If Villa had stayed down they would have steam rolled the league next season reducing the amount of promotion slots available.  Derby on the other hand were always going to melt down if they stayed down as they'll lose Lampard and all of their best loan players.

Sorry lad, its business not personal. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

You need to re read your posts. I showed to you that Derby didn't falter this season after you claimed they do every year. To me, reaching the playoffs but then losing isn't faltering. Finishing 8th after being 1st all year is, one occasion which I'll happily give to you.

Why can't we compare us? Are you sad that the underachievers have achieved more than us in the last 20 years?

You should compare us, similar sized football clubs in similar financial holes with similar squad ability. Derby and Sheffield as cities have similarities too.

Phone boxes don't exist anymore btw.

Derby has little in common with Sheffield apart from its working class heritage. Its a one club city about a third the size of Sheffield. Lived there for 2 years mid 80s good night out and plenty of pubs. The locals are very much behind their club the only other shirts I saw were Man Utd. Was always a good day out at the old baseball ground .