Post World Cup

On 13/07/2018 at 11:01, Buxtongent said:

The top clubs have much to blame for the non-progression of English youth, prefering to play foreign players of known capabilities, But don't put all the blame on the clubs .We, the Fans, must take some of the blame. e had an up=coming star in Hirst, but consider this - would we have liked to see Forestieri dropped to give him a chance?

Unfortunately, foreign 'stars of the future' seem much more prevalent than their English counterparts. For example, from a nation of 4M people, Coatia played at least 4 playrs who would be true 'stars' in this country. 

uruguay too, but i imagine we can smash them at pokemon.

On 13/07/2018 at 09:41, Owls-Fan said:

Its funny that even people on this forum have said how “football is a short career and you can’t blame players for going for money rather than playing”.  Then they complain that English players aren’t playing more regularly! 

I have no issue with players chasing money.  The thing is, you have to wonder how much money one needs.  Is there really a major difference between £30,000 per week and £50,000 per week when it comes to being financially secure? (yes, I know - £20,000).

I've spoken with a few pro-footballers at various levels through my job and seen their payslips.  There is some absolutely insane money even at League One and League Two level.  Way more money than a decent office or management job will pay, yet when I talk to these players about their savings, investments and financial provisions post-playing career they have nothing.  The problem isn't players earning enough to secure their future, it's spunking that money on fast cars, expensive trinkets and other rubbish that has no actual value.  

Compare this to an established international Rugby player I spoke with.  Wages were very modest compared to the footballers I spoke with and yet he had his finances sorted.  Seems to be a different culture.  

Sorry for going off topic btw.

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I have no issue with players chasing money.  The thing is, you have to wonder how much money one needs.  Is there really a major difference between £30,000 per week and £50,000 per week when it comes to being financially secure? (yes, I know - £20,000).

I've spoken with a few pro-footballers at various levels through my job and seen their payslips.  There is some absolutely insane money even at League One and League Two level.  Way more money than a decent office or management job will pay, yet when I talk to these players about their savings, investments and financial provisions post-playing career they have nothing.  The problem isn't players earning enough to secure their future, it's spunking that money on fast cars, expensive trinkets and other rubbish that has no actual value.  

Compare this to an established international Rugby player I spoke with.  Wages were very modest compared to the footballers I spoke with and yet he had his finances sorted.  Seems to be a different culture.  

Sorry for going off topic btw.

If Rugby clubs had the money they would do the same as football clubs I suspect 

Rugby is a far less popular and therefore far less rich a sport 

However I do believe our clubs do have a moral duty in terms of money and education of young players 

I think the lessons are slowly being learnt though - perform well, behave well you will be rewarded both on and off the field 

It’s all about OUR clubs given opportunities now. We have the talent it just needs to be nurtured. 

I am happy with the top end foreign players coming into our league - we can learn, look up to and benifit from their presence, I just despise our players facing barriers due to an influx of average foreign journeymen due to coaches/ clubs being too scared to use our young players