Post World Cup

After the (nearly) perfect summer we’ve had at the World Cup - how the nation has got behind the team and proved to the non believers (of which there were a few) that the England team doing well is the pinnacle of this country’s football - nothing brings the whole country together like it.

Do you think clubs have a duty to put more emphasis on home grown talent? Both playing and coaching wise.

Would you back the FA in bringing a maximum foreign player limit 

Or does it not bother you one bit?

I'd hope the tournament, and especially England's progress in it, has increased public interest over here

And football will benefit through higher attendance figures across all four divisions

As for the rest of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see yet more rises in transfer fees and wages as agents embark on a greed-driven feeding frenzy

The FA will insist they're powerless to prevent it - but as long as they get their cut, why should they even bother trying?

I'd set a minimum number of English qualified players on the pitch (not lined up on the bench). Probably set at 5 or 6.

But it won't happen. If the FA won't do it, I'd like the Football League to do so.

I'd also set rules on employing English (perhaps relax this to UK) coaches.

One of the reasons that I'm not over excited by England's current success is because I don't see our younger players pushing through into Champions League teams. Will Loftus-Cheek get a look in at Chelsea? Rashford, Stones seem to be on the fringe of their teams. Too easily dropped. Will the U-20s get first team games or be farmed out on loan across minor euro leagues?

Unfortunately there is a lack of commitment to nurturing young English talent and it’s all down to greed . Until people at the top buy into developing  young English players it won’t happen . Seems most clubs are run by foreigners anyway so why should they care !! . 

No need to change anything. We have a new generation of excellent players who will be the bedrock of our 2020 team and even the 2022 team.

Kane 24, Alli 22, Rashford 20, Sterling 23, Lingard 25, Alexander-Arnold 19, Loftus Cheek 22, Maguire 25, Stones 24, Dier 24.

Henderson 28, Trippier 27, Welbeck 27, Walker 28, Rose 28, Jones 26, Delph 28.

Add In Sessignon and any newcomers and we have an excellent squad ahead of us that should be guaranteed 1/4 finals or better for the next two cups.

That defence who looked shakey in possession will play every match, and their understanding as a back 3 plus Pickford will go from strength to strength. 

Im extremely optimistic about the future. We seem to be in a far better place than when we had stellar names with stellar PR and stellar egos. Bring it on.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I'd set a minimum number of English qualified players on the pitch (not lined up on the bench). Probably set at 5 or 6.

But it won't happen. If the FA won't do it, I'd like the Football League to do so.

I'd also set rules on employing English (perhaps relax this to UK) coaches.

One of the reasons that I'm not over excited by England's current success is because I don't see our younger players pushing through into Champions League teams. Will Loftus-Cheek get a look in at Chelsea? Rashford, Stones seem to be on the fringe of their teams. Too easily dropped. Will the U-20s get first team games or be farmed out on loan across minor euro leagues?

That is my point we have excellent young players as last summer and this proved - surely it's up to the clubs now to have a duty of care to bring them through - including ours!!

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

No need to change anything. We have a new generation of excellent players who will be the bedrock of our 2020 team and even the 2022 team.

Kane 24, Alli 22, Rashford 20, Sterling 23, Lingard 25, Alexander-Arnold 19, Loftus Cheek 22, Maguire 25, Stones 24, Dier 24.

Henderson 28, Trippier 27, Welbeck 27, Walker 28, Rose 28, Jones 26, Delph 28.

Add In Sessignon and any newcomers and we have an excellent squad ahead of us that should be guaranteed 1/4 finals or better for the next two cups.

That defence who looked shakey in possession will play every match, and their understanding as a back 3 plus Pickford will go from strength to strength. 

Im extremely optimistic about the future. We seem to be in a far better place than when we had stellar names with stellar PR and stellar egos. Bring it on.

Thats how good they are with limited chances - imagine who else we could unearth given the opportunity 

Kane was only given a chance because of the failure of foreign imports, Rashford got a look in due to 6 injuries!

We've seen at Hillsborough - give the kids a go and a lot will grasp the chance.

24 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I think players mentality has to change too , how many times do we see promising young british talent choose to join the mass ranks of an arsenal or Chelsea youth team, rather than stay at a “smaller club” and get first team football. Englishman Hirst has just left to join a Belgium team because he’s chasing money or a premier league career too soon. 

Chelsea not picking loftus cheek? So why doesn’t he put in a transfer request and go play every week for a Southampton or Burnley. It’s been shown that they’ll still get international recognition. 

Edited by Southie_Owl

9 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Unfortunately there is a lack of commitment to nurturing young English talent and it’s all down to greed . Until people at the top buy into developing  young English players it won’t happen . Seems most clubs are run by foreigners anyway so why should they care !! . 

Agree, but surely they FA need to grow a spine - or am i just asking for too much???

Just now, Southie_Owl said:

I think players mentality has to change too , how many times do we see promising young british talent choose to join the mass ranks of an arsenal or Chelsea youth team, rather than stay at a “smaller club” and get first team football. Englishman Hirst has just left to join a Belgium team rather because he’s chasing money or a premier league career too soon. 

Chelsea not picking loftus cheek? So why doesn’t he put in a transfer request and go play every week for a Southampton or Burnley. It’s been shown that they’ll still get international recognition. 

He went to Palace for a season!!!! - then got in the England squad

1 minute ago, torres said:

Agree, but surely they FA need to grow a spine - or am i just asking for too much???

With the success we have just witnessed in Russia I can’t see many changes can you , yes I want more commitment to our national side but the powers that be probably feel we are on the right tracks ? .

Just now, torres said:

He went to Palace for a season!!!! - then got in the England squad

I know, Chelsea loaned him out to palace because he can’t get into their first team.

Chelsea are the worst at signing up the best young talent, then loaning them out to different clubs every season. That doesn’t seem like the best way to progress as a player if you are playing for a different team every season.  Just my opinion of course, but I feel some british players should be chasing first team football more, even at championship level, rather than chasing £££ to sit on a bench or in the stand 

1 minute ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

With the success we have just witnessed in Russia I can’t see many changes can you , yes I want more commitment to our national side but the powers that be probably feel we are on the right tracks ? .

The number of times Southgate has mentioned only 30% representation in his press conferences i'm certain he is pushing for change.

This summer shouldn't be rested on - things are still far from right in my opinion 

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I'm optimistic about our prospects of improvement at international level too, don't get me wrong

Southgate has put together a good squad and managed to inject the level of team spirit we've so often seemed to lack

I'm hoping for a knock-on effect that will benefit the whole professional game in this country

But I think we're more likely to see a rise in profile of the players who performed well over there, of contracts being re-negotiated or transfers away from their current clubs for astronomical fees

Which, in my opinion, kind of undermines the progress that's been made these past few weeks

Just now, torres said:

The number of times Southgate has mentioned only 30% representation in his press conferences i'm certain he is pushing for change.

This summer shouldn't be rested on - things are still far from right in my opinion 

Of course they aren’t and Southgate knows this too . Our fantastic success in the younger age groups is a step in the right direction but it could all just fizzle out  as easily if these players don’t get gametime at their clubs . On a separate issue we didn’t help the development of an England international did we suppose that was different . 

9 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I think players mentality has to change too , how many times do we see promising young british talent choose to join the mass ranks of an arsenal or Chelsea youth team, rather than stay at a “smaller club” and get first team football. Englishman Hirst has just left to join a Belgium team because he’s chasing money or a premier league career too soon. 

^^^^ this ^^^^

Its funny that even people on this forum have said how “football is a short career and you can’t blame players for going for money rather than playing”.  Then they complain that English players aren’t playing more regularly! 

In the old days players would come up through the league ranks, starting at clubs like Forest, Millwall, Southampton, qpr, play regularly for a few seasons and then get a move to a bigger team where they are first choice players. Nowadays as soon as a decent 16 year old is spotted at a QPR training pitch he’s signed up by arsenal and chucked into their youth system. 

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

^^^^ this ^^^^

Its funny that even people on this forum have said how “football is a short career and you can’t blame players for going for money rather than playing”.  Then they complain that English players aren’t playing more regularly! 

In the old days players would come up through the league ranks, starting at clubs like Forest, Millwall, Southampton, qpr, play regularly for a few seasons and then get a move to a bigger team where they are first choice players. Nowadays as soon as a decent 16 year old is spotted at a QPR training pitch he’s signed up by arsenal and chucked into their youth system. 

Or a second tier Belgian side ...

:Chansiri:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Of course they aren’t and Southgate knows this too . Our fantastic success in the younger age groups is a step in the right direction but it could all just fizzle out  as easily if these players don’t get gametime at their clubs . On a separate issue we didn’t help the development of an England international did we suppose that was different . 

Until the last 6 months of last season  - it's been a total waste of time having a youth team for us - they never got a real look in