Albert Quixall

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Albert Quixall.jpg

Take a look at this.

Does anyone remember Albert Quixall leaving Sheffield Wednesday for Manchester United?

At the time the most costliest transfer in Britain

Can anyone work out what the equivalent transfer fee would be in this years money?

An ole fella I worked with in the steel works back in the 70s used to talk about Quixall all the time, told me he was best player he'd ever seen play for Wednesday.

Think he joined Man U after Munich and played in their 58 cup final against Bolton, I was told after his football career he had a scrap yard in Manchester I was a lorry driver by then and travelled to Manchester all the time and tried to hunt him down but never came across it sadly . 

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Albert Quixall.jpg

Take a look at this.

Does anyone remember Albert Quixall leaving Sheffield Wednesday for Manchester United?

At the time the most costliest transfer in Britain

Can anyone work out what the equivalent transfer fee would be in this years money?

5% p/a inflation would make £45K in 1958 worth just under £1million today, so probably not as much as you thought. I recall that a new build semi in S12 cost circa £2K in 1958, so around 23 for just over £45K, the houses can be bought for circa £160K today, so say 63 for Jordan Rhodes’s cost.

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

There was a tale told to me many years ago.

That Albert did something naughty in one of Bobby Charltons boots.

not heard that one but seen mentioned that albert wasn't popular at old Trafford by team mates and the fans ......evidently a bit too flash for the players and lacking in bottle to the  fans .