Owls keeper on the move ?

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair to poor old Dom, not exactly a lot happening for us at the moment is there. 

Someone needs to tell him it's quality not quantity. The bloke churns out several articles a day. Sometimes I read them and feel less informed by the time I finish! Awful stuff. 

Westwood's a fantastic keeper for the level we play at and it'd be genuinely difficult for us to sign a keeper that could realistically push him for his place, so instead we settled for signing keepers that aren't likely to push him for his place, but may at least serve as back-up.

I'd have to say we barely did that with Price, and I can only assume we failed to do even that with Kean since he's not had a look-in.

As it happens, we've had the likes of Wildsmith and Dawson coming through, and furthermore, Westwood managed to stay fit enough to start games for practically the whole season.

Even so, I do think this is where we have a problem: Wildsmith and Dawson may well prove to be good keepers in the future, but as things stand right now we definitely need better. They've both made errors in their few games for us that have lead to us conceding goals. I don't consider this as a major indictment against their ability as keepers, but more as a testament to their youth and inexperience. They'll both definitely get better, but they both definitely need games - games that we can sadly ill afford to give them for the sake of their development. Ideally, they should both go out on loan but it's only likely to be one of them.

Still, I do think we need another senior keeper - and one that can adequately cover for Westwood right now. I don't think it's easy signing those sort of keepers though because it's hard to persuade someone to sign for you when the likelihood is that they won't be playing so much.

I do suspect we would probably have rested Westwood more last season if we'd had adequate cover for him. He went down a lot last season, but somehow we managed to get him through most games, even when he looked in genuine discomfort. Centre Backs are bigger priority, but I do think another keeper that can serve as adequate back-up to Westwood is also quite important.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, james o connor said:

Ahhh forgot about that , fair point . Okay Dawson on the bench wildsmith getting game time elsewhere 

That would work!

8 hours ago, Nobsworth said:

Ronnie Pickering...!  :-)

That's him !!  He's the real deal eh? Remember the sarcasm from lad on the moped pure class....

Ron Pickering remember his Athletics commentaries fondly and his Fatima Whitbread fixation

Sadly no longer with us unlike the Berk above

8 hours ago, Nobsworth said:

Ronnie Pickering...!  :-)

That's right Ronnie Pickering eh what a Machine? The sarcasm from that lad on the moped was class...

Remember the Real Ron Pickering (commentator) a legend unlike the Berk above (not you Nobsworth the guy in photo)