M1 ROADWORKS

Took me just short of 4 hrs to get back to Portsmouth and I also went A61 and had the mini Chesterfield diversion.

Also had an annoying diversion through Newbury due to the A34 being closed.  Then just as I was nearly back the flipping M27 was closed.

Really pleased I went to the match!

6 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Yes I got caught by a speed camera at Junction 40 M1 , on my way home  so all in all

a blooming poor night !!!!. Wouldn't mind but only arranged to go to the game

at half 2 in the afternoon , ah well !!!.

you must have been bombing it then, there were no restrictions when i went past.

one lane shut but no signage saying 50

Just now, ANDY said:

you must have been bombing it then, there were no restrictions when i went past.

one lane shut but no signage saying 50

No restrictions , all 4 lanes open  around 22.20 and yes I was bombing it I was getting off at  j 40

never even knew those cameras ever worked !!!!

yes mate, and theyre linked to the overhead signage too. if the sign says 50 the camera will get you at 55+

you must have been doing 78+ if they got you last night.

oh, and you did well to get to J40 for 22:20, it was 22:40 when i was coming off there

WITHIN the past 10 weeks more than 500 motorists in Britain have received an unwelcome letter notifying them that they have been caught by a speed camera.

What was unusual about the letters was that the recipients had not been caught zooming through a quiet village or suburb. Instead, they had been snapped breaking the limit of 70mph on a motorway, an offence that — until now — most speed cameras ignored.

Now however, the Highways Agency has released new figures revealing that a fifth of motorway miles travelled are on stretches policed by cameras — and many more stretches are being converted to smart motorways. Drivers, including those on the M25 and parts of the M1, M6 and M60, will risk being caught if they exceed 70mph. Within the next two years a third of motorway miles could be on “smart” sections, with more to come.

Bugger

I got caught by a van parked in a bus stop @5yrs ago. I was speeding, 45 in a 40, the road used to be a 60.

Anyway I was offered the course, they spent about 3hrs lecturing us on speeding, the end result only a very small proportion of accidents are on the Motorway network and very few of those are due to speed, it's generally poor driving.

The majority of accidents are caused at low speed. 

The cameras are purely money boxes

3 minutes ago, ANDY said:

WITHIN the past 10 weeks more than 500 motorists in Britain have received an unwelcome letter notifying them that they have been caught by a speed camera.

What was unusual about the letters was that the recipients had not been caught zooming through a quiet village or suburb. Instead, they had been snapped breaking the limit of 70mph on a motorway, an offence that — until now — most speed cameras ignored.

Now however, the Highways Agency has released new figures revealing that a fifth of motorway miles travelled are on stretches policed by cameras — and many more stretches are being converted to smart motorways. Drivers, including those on the M25 and parts of the M1, M6 and M60, will risk being caught if they exceed 70mph. Within the next two years a third of motorway miles could be on “smart” sections, with more to come.

This really alters nothing except the probability of getting caught if you break the speed limit.  The MAXIMUM speed on a motorway is 70mph AT ALL TIMES. This can be reduced but never exceeded legally. Infuriating maybe, but unfortunately the law of the land. If you travel at more than this in a private vehicle, and I admit that I used to do in my middle-age, then you are breaking the law, and, if caught, must expect to pay the price.

The idiotic thing to me is  the position one finds oneself in on many of the roads in Derbyshire. The majority of the main A roads have a speed limit of 50mph, but when youturn off onto the 'poorer' side  or B roads, the limit then turns to the National Speed Limit, which incidentally is 60mph except on dual carriage ways or Motorways. This leads to the idiotic situation whereby one can legally drive at 50mph on a reasonable mainroad, turn off onto a side road, probably leading eventually to a village, and legally drive at 60mph on a much worse road.