Heightened Expectations

13 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

You clearly don't read.

If tickets were 20 quid - would expectations be lower?

If they were £20 and we had the budget we had 2 years ago, of course they'd be lower. You'd still have people moaning but most people would settle for mid-table security.

Agree there isn't so much wrong. 

Can always find lots wrong if you look for it. 

If anything it's the expectation that games shouldn't be as close as they are.

Thought we were marginally the better team yesterday in a conflict of styles. 

Brum are better than last year.  Gary Rowett is a good manager. Made the right tactical switch at 20 minutes which made our task more difficult.  

Edited by Beholder

8 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

If they were £20 and we had the budget we had 2 years ago, of course they'd be lower. You'd still have people moaning but most people would settle for mid-table security.

Thats not my point and you know it

stop avoiding the question.

im saying expectations are set sky high due to the cash Chansiri is throwing around but mainly because we set the bar so high last year.

so - same budget, same team but ticket prices at 20 quid.

lower expectations, higher expectations or the same expectations?

4 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Agree there isn't so much wrong. 

Can find lots wrong if you look for it. 

If anything it's the expectation that games shouldn't be as close as they are.

Thought we were marginally the better team yesterday in a conflict of styles. 

Brum are better than last year.  Gary Rowett is a good manager. Made the right tactical switch at 20 minutes which made our task more difficult.  

I don't think they are, but I do think that change he made throttled us for a spell.

that said, we had more than enough to beat them...and should have done.

Heightened expectations saw us:

• Moan cos Big Jack didnt get us to top flight
  • Grumble about Wilkinson not taking us higher than 3rd
  • See some fans genuinely pleased when Big Ron was dismissed in his second spell-yes really!
  • Sack Francis cos top 6 finishes and multi trips to Wembley were not good enough

Let me know how they all worked out.....

46 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

That you should keep talking yourself that when its 20 quid a ticket and we haven't won.

My God it's hard work on here today

Dam right , you can't actually be this dense .... If you pay big money for players , and pay big wages (hope you are still following) and you charge sky high prices, people will expect more. 

When we had llera, semedo, reda etc being paid peanuts there wasn't much expectation. We are paying big money and charging a lot to watch, people will expect a certain level. reducing the prices for a week is not the point. 

10 hours ago, McRightSide said:

That's all it is people.

Nothing sinister, no dark forces at work, no problem with the squad, no problem with CC's ability, no reason to drop Lee, no reason to think that Lees isn't what we thought.

Simply a season of pressure leading to players trying too hard, feeling the expectations, snatching at things, rushing things, overthinking, trying to 'make sure' rather than take the risk.

Simply feeling the pressure which - provided we all have a little patience and allow Carlos to work his magic with the new squad - will soon dissipate.

Or, we can all freak out and demand changes.

Your choice people, your choice.

I think its quite simple really. Chansiri has said that he wants to be promoted within a relatively short time frame and has made money available to sign the 15 odd players from last season. On the back of that, he has then spent even more money getting in an extra eight signings this season. So yes, expectations have risen, but the side as yet has not improved at all.

Now, you say give it time, but all the fans are doing is putting forward constructive criticisms of why its not hapenning and not likely to happen this season. They see no quality centre back added when we needed two to be brought in. They see Hutch moved from an effective role last season to centre back and players signed like Abdi and Jones who weren't really needed and mimic what Hutch, Lee and Bannan did last season to good effect.

Then they see a manager who can only play one way and sides now starting to counter act that style. They see players being played out of position, most noticebly Abdi and Bannan in the current set up. They see a side who pass it about to no great effect at times, who don't take their chances and see a defensive unit that looks weak and concedes sloppy goals in each game they play in. They don't see a dominant side, they see an unbalanced side playing the wrong formations and tactics and getting according results.

There is expectation, but that expectation has come from Chansiri and the fans are following suit. We have paid out a lot of money in the transfer windows of late and people are paying top prices at the turnstiles. So all they are doing is thinking about the issues discussed above and coming to the conclusion that Carlos may not have the answers to deliver what Chansiri has set out to achieve, based up the style of play, recruitment, tactics, formation and player selection, based upon what you need to get promoted out of this division.

It is more complex than merely hightened expectations. It's also about poor recruitment, An oddly weighted squad, player selection, formation, tactics, confidence and an inflexibility by the manager to adopt other styles of play in particular games, clinging to the same footballing philosophy week in week out, despite evidence that suggests through results its not quite working as he had hoped. Fans are just stating what they see, through the eyes of the Chairman and thinking we are short of delivering the expectations he himself set out and wondering what or if changes need to be made.

5 minutes ago, Randowl said:

You can.   Just explain why higher prices doesn't equate to higher expectations.   Simple stuff...

Dont you understand, I said that had a lesser impact than previous season's performance and team investment

Therefore if you drop prices to 20 quid it won't change the expectations of fans much.

But you said the opposite and it has a big impact, therefore the next cheap game you will be lowering your expectations I assume?

My word man. Read!

Edited by McRightSide

31 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Dont you understand, I said that had a lesser impact than previous season's performance and team investment

Therefore if you drop prices to 20 quid it won't change the expectations of fans much.

But you said the opposite and it has a big impact, therefore the next cheap game you will be lowering your expectations I assume?

My word man. Read!

Again mate, it's very hard to read what you've put here.   Lower prices will have lower expectations, yes.