Heightened Expectations

That's all it is people.

Nothing sinister, no dark forces at work, no problem with the squad, no problem with CC's ability, no reason to drop Lee, no reason to think that Lees isn't what we thought.

Simply a season of pressure leading to players trying too hard, feeling the expectations, snatching at things, rushing things, overthinking, trying to 'make sure' rather than take the risk.

Simply feeling the pressure which - provided we all have a little patience and allow Carlos to work his magic with the new squad - will soon dissipate.

Or, we can all freak out and demand changes.

Your choice people, your choice.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

That's all it is people.

Simply a season of pressure leading to players trying too hard, feeling the expectations, snatching at things, rushing things, overthinking, trying to 'make sure' rather than take the risk.

Your choice people, your choice.

But I suppose charging PL prices naturally leads to PL expectations.

Its the clubs choice as they can play a major role in controlling expectations, lower prices = lower expectations. Keep prices higher than the competition and its logical that expectations will be higher than the competition.

Also to be fair any club that reaches the play off final is expected to do well the following season.

Edited by sheffsteel

4 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

Its the clubs choice as they can play a major role in controlling expectations, lower prices = lower expectations.

Keep prices higher than the competition and its logical that expectations will be higher than the competition.

Thats a load of bullshit and you know it. Don't try and turn this into something about prices - your attempt to pin this on Chansiri is laughable

getting to the playoff final raises expectations more than anything, then perhaps signing players for and on big money

just look at the 'how will we do next season' threads and posts

i guarantee you that if Chansiri charges 20 quid all round expectations would be no lower

Edited by McRightSide

39 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Thats a load of bullshit and you know it. Don't try and turn this into something about prices - your attempt to pin this on Chansiri is laughable

getting to the playoff final raises expectations more than anything, then perhaps signing players for and on big money

just look at the 'how will we do next season' threads and posts

i guarantee you that if Chansiri charges 20 quid all round expectations would be no lower

To be fair, I think Sheff Steel is right, prices do play a factor. Hillsborough is one of the most expensive places to watch football outside the Premiership and some of our players are earning top money. Getting on players backs is never nice but is unfortunately to be expected if people are paying more money.

Also, isn't sheff steel a blade? So surely he's talking from a (kind of) neutral point of view.

42 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

To be fair, I think Sheff Steel is right, prices do play a factor. Hillsborough is one of the most expensive places to watch football outside the Premiership and some of our players are earning top money. Getting on players backs is never nice but is unfortunately to be expected if people are paying more money.

Also, isn't sheff steel a blade? So surely he's talking from a (kind of) neutral point of view.

So you think an extra 5 quid on the price of a ticket raises expectations more than just missing out on promotion?

Right then.

Missing that little bit of quality and experience in key areas. A top 10 finish this season just outside the playoffs is where I reckon we are with the current team. Able to play well and win games but always going to struggle in others. The top teams don't lose 2-1 when one nil up with 10 mins to play. 

44 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

So you think an extra 5 quid on the price of a ticket raises expectations more than just missing out on promotion?

Right then.

I think you are missing the point . Fans have to pay premier league prices to watch us so naturally are going to expect a decent level of performance . He's spot on 

Still a long way to go and I think Carlos will get the team and formation right soon. If Newcastle and Norwich take the top 2 places  I can't see a team that'll comfortably beat us like Hull

did in the playoff final. Confident we can take get a playoff spot still. 

35 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I think you are missing the point . Fans have to pay premier league prices to watch us so naturally are going to expect a decent level of performance . He's spot on 

I go back to my question.

Chansiri drops the prices to 20 quid all round.

Happy finishing 15th?

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Right then.

I'm not saying that at all, I'm saying that the cost of watching Wednesday is an inevitable reason to pile more expectations on the team. Obviously being play-off finalists is a huge factor too but to dismiss the excessive cost of tickets at Hillsborough is silly.

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I go back to my question.

Chansiri drops the prices to 20 quid all round.

Happy finishing 15th?

Who's to say we won't finish 15th anyway ? 

I also dont don't see how dropping the price affects where we finish. you don't seem to be making a relevant point. The fact of the matter is if you are paying what it costs to watch Manchester city , as a fan you are naturally going to expect something good. 

A combination of Chansiri promising us PL football in 2017 and us over-achieving last season means the expectations are bound to be heightened and anything less than the play-offs would be seen by most as unacceptable. I personally wish Chansiri had not said that when he took over but guess he wanted the fans to cling onto something.

There is and should be expectation - rightly so. DC has spent an awful lot of money in the last three transfer windows. That fuels the demand for an acceptable return.

Right now, I see a side littered with mistakes - starting with Carlos and his selections. 

Edited by wilyfox

3 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

Its the clubs choice as they can play a major role in controlling expectations, lower prices = lower expectations. Keep prices higher than the competition and its logical that expectations will be higher than the competition.

Also to be fair any club that reaches the play off final is expected to do well the following season.

Spot on

47 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

So you all think ticket prices raises expectations more than last season's performance & on the pitch investment?

More brain donors than I thought

Have you not read any of the posts properly? People aren't saying the play-off final hasn't raised expectations just that with high prices (and high wages) comes high pressure. Do you not acknowledge this at all?

18 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Have you not read any of the posts properly? People aren't saying the play-off final hasn't raised expectations just that with high prices (and high wages) comes high pressure. Do you not acknowledge this at all?

You clearly don't read.

If tickets were 20 quid - would expectations be lower?