Team for boro

CC has the following fundamental choice to make - stick with the 4-4-2 that has served him so well in last two home games or switch to a more defensive counter-attacking line up.

There is a lot to be said for setting up with 4-5-1 to soak up pressure and try to hit Boro on the counter. Changing style and formation fits in neatly with rotating the personnel on the pitch. So he could introduce say Semedo as holding player in midfield (he won't move Hutch out of defence). Then play Nuhiu as lone striker (he didn't start Wolves game so fresher than most) to rough up Boro defence - they hate him with a vengeance anyway. Or Joao if fit, alongside Helan and Sougou. You want pace up front for your counterattacks. Could switch full backs, bring in McGugan to give Lee a break. But FF and BB can't be spared - tired or not.

Ideally if not for Boro having had a longer break since last match, I'd have preferred we stick with 4-4-2 for our away games. It is new for us and works very well at home. I'd try it away and see if it can't help improve our away form. FF is very effective at left sided midfield, two strikers is proving troublesome for opposing defences and we have enough quality in midfield to dominate, home or away.

Wildsmith

Palmer      Hutchinson     Loovens   Pudil

Wallace       Bannan        Lee                   

Hooper                Forestieri

Nuhiu

Or something similar.

Lots of comments about fitness by Carlos, but I don't actually see him making too many changes.

Not sure anyone who is carrying a knock like Joao or Westwood will be risked if it can be helped.

Either way. Every faith that he will go there with a game plan and the chaps in no doubt as to what their jobs are. 

I think we'll do a job on them. 

CC has the following fundamental choice to make - stick with the 4-4-2 that has served him so well in last two home games or switch to a more defensive counter-attacking line up.

There is a lot to be said for setting up with 4-5-1 to soak up pressure and try to hit Boro on the counter. Changing style and formation fits in neatly with rotating the personnel on the pitch. So he could introduce say Semedo as holding player in midfield (he won't move Hutch out of defence). Then play Nuhiu as lone striker (he didn't start Wolves game so fresher than most) to rough up Boro defence - they hate him with a vengeance anyway. Or Joao if fit, alongside Helan and Sougou. You want pace up front for your counterattacks. Could switch full backs, bring in McGugan to give Lee a break. But FF and BB can't be spared - tired or not.

Ideally if not for Boro having had a longer break since last match, I'd have preferred we stick with 4-4-2 for our away games. It is new for us and works very well at home. I'd try it away and see if it can't help improve our away form. FF is very effective at left sided midfield, two strikers is proving troublesome for opposing defences and we have enough quality in midfield to dominate, home or away.

Looks like I pretty much called it! 

CC went with the Joao/Sougou/Helan counterattacking pace up front given Joao was in the event fit. And he certainly went 4-5-1 with Semedo as holding midfielder. And he switched the full backs (not that it helped much since both were asleep for Boro's goal).

OK he stuck with a tired Lee rather than playing McGugan. And FF only played second half because he really was too tired for 90 mins.

Still...