Middlewood Road: Has it always been our training ground?

While we are at it I'm sure Dunsby will enlighten you all on some very unusual training methods and locations of Len Ashurst and Tony Tomms. 

Hope he's got copies of the cartoons as well as the press cuttings!  lol

As a schoolkid I used to watch them train at Owlerton stadium from 1958 to about 1962. You could just walk in and watch the sessions.

I remember seeing Albert Quixall just before he went to Man Utd for a British record fee. Also vivid memories of Springett, Kay, Fantham, Swan in training sessions...... particularly Fantham swearing at Springett for some reason.

All 5 players were England internationals, although Kay was at Everton when he won his only cap.

Don't know where else they might have trained.

Springett at a Wednesday training session would have been a rarity.

He lived in London and generally trained at Loftus Rd during the week. He essentially commuted to Sheffield for home games.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

That's it above the Cartoon in ref to Len Ashurst & Tony Tomms training methods.

Drop the players on the wild moors and leave them to stew for a couple of days.....Result  abject failure.

The joke around the WMC's at the time was 'we were on the up as the first team managed a 0-0 draw in a practice game v 11 Dustbins. lol