Marquee signing

Mcguggan Lopez and Matthias are better than we could have dreamed of in the last decade. We (well mr c) has spent more this summer than we've spent in total since we left the prem. I am happy and can't wait to see our new squad in our lovely updated stadium

Some of the finest players in soccer have started as nonentities. And some of the so-called 'Marque' signings have turned out to be flops.

I remember in recent years two players who were signed for Wednesday, who were supposed to be class. A certain Jay Bothroyd was a 'world-beater' as was a certain Francis Jeffers. Marque doesn't mean success.

Guest markowls1

Whickham talking to palace now

Couple of things -

1. I've asked about this before but to my knowledge it wasn't substantiated so effectively the "marquee signing" is a bit of an OT myth, I don't believe anyone at the club has ever said this?

2. Regardless, I firmly believe it was our intention to sign a couple of higher profile English players that may have fitted the bill, certainly one of those would have been a centre forward, however it looks likely we've just been priced out. By priced out I mean we are unwilling to spend the ludicrous amounts of money it would now take to lure the likes of Rhodes or Wickham to S6, I for one am pleased about this. Whatever we build it needs to be sustainable, the chairman has stated this previously.

Whilst not blown away I'm pretty happy with our transfer activity so far, there's certainly room for improvement though. Even with the expertise on hand the signing of players must still be pretty daunting to Mr Chansiri, he's had a lot to get his head around in a short space of time. Seriously, outside of banking, does any other world exist where you pay someone a fantastic wage then pay them again to score goals or create them......obviously incentives exist in business but not to the degree we see in football, speculation of course but I believe these are the kinds of things that have slowed our transfer activity and possibly cost us a few deals on the way. We need to get better at these things and I'm certain we will in time.