3rd Kevin Wright Memorial Shield

It's that time of year folks where we try and raise a bit of money in memory of the late Kevin Wright, a mad Wednesday fan who died supporting the Owls in Portugal a few years back.

The event started as a one-off 11-a-side game in August 2013 between teams representing Owlstalk and OwlsOnline forums, but last year we had four teams and for 2015 we'll try and increase in number again.

Myself and dazaston (member on here and referee for both finals so far) will be organising it again. Daz is involved with Mosborough Juniors so he has been able to secure us a pitch for three dates which is fantastic - I know not all of the dates will be available for everybody but it is what is is!

Entry this year will be £150 per team for the whole tournament - with one captain/treasurer for each team collecting each players' fee and then handing it to me and daz when they play - £150 equates to £10 per player for a 15 man squad, which is what we had last year. £10 per man for the whole tournament works out at £3.33 a game if you play in a quarter, semi and final - and all for a good cause! All money collected will be sent to the British Heart Foundation, the charity of Kevin's family's choice.

We're doing it this way so that the burden of collecting fees is spread between several people rather than solely on me!

We had the idea of having an 8 team tournament but we're running a bit short on planning time so we have two plans of action, one for 6 teams and one for 4.

6 teams (4 play in quarter-finals, 2 byes to semi-finals)

Quarter-final 1 @ Mosborough on Thursday 13th August at 7pm

Quarter-final 2 @ Mosborough on Thursday 20th August at 7pm

Semi-final 1 @ Mosborough on Sunday 23rd August at 12pm

Semi-final 2 @ Mosborough on Sunday 23rd August at 2pm

Final @ Venue and time to be decided (most likely Saturday 5th September - international break so the Owls aren't playing)

If we don't look like getting six teams by 1st August, we will be playing with four teams with the following format -

4 teams (all 4 teams in semi-finals)

Semi-final 1 @ Mosborough on Thursday 13th August at 7pm

Semi-final 2 @ Mosborough on Thursday 20th August at 7pm

Final 1 @ Mosborough on Sunday 23rd August at 12pm

So, how do you get involved?

Land of Dire is the unofficial Owlstalk team - made up of players who volunteered to play last year. 13 people turned out for Land of Dire last year, and I think it's fair that those 13 get first dibs on selection for the team this year. The 13 are -

Mancunian_Owl
SiJ
EcclesallOwl
Lloyd
WORKSOP_OWL
Babushka
Sharpey
Euse
Maldenowl
Hawkeye
Fraser
Tom
Tom2

post-1308-0-81378900-1436866958_thumb.jp

Straight away we need two more players to get us to 15. First come first served. After that, put your name down and you will go on a waiting list. On 28th July (two weeks time) we'll eliminate those above that haven't claimed their place and those on the waiting list will get in,

If we can get a second team that would be fantastic.

When Land of Dire is full, I will then be asking, as I will for each team, for one person to grow some balls, stand up and be counted, and volunteer as team treasurer in charge of collecting player fees. Again, this is £150 per team, or roughly £10 per person - and that's for ALL games, whether you play 1 or 3. You can do this by getting in touch with the players by PM and asking them to PayPal you. It's not difficult for one team, but it can get time-consuming when I'm having to do it for four or six!

We will make the draw on Sunday 2nd August, after it has been decided how many teams are confirmed to play.

We've raised just under £1000 so far, so we're hoping to smash the £1500 barrier this year.

Last year's teams -

post-1308-0-51457100-1436866997_thumb.jp

Edited by KivoOwl

Come on everyone lets make this happen & show everyone what a fantastic set of football supporters we all are.

It has been a great way to put faces to screen names off here while raising some money for a great cause & remembering 1 of our own.

Kivo, LOD didn't have a keeper last year. I preferred the system the year before, where the teams were genuinely a mixed bag, but we had a keeper for each team.

LOD got a bit of a drubbing by your ringers last year, let's balance it out this year maybe?

Ps - my legs have gone, micky gray style!

Kivo, LOD didn't have a keeper last year. I preferred the system the year before, where the teams were genuinely a mixed bag, but we had a keeper for each team.

LOD got a bit of a drubbing by your ringers last year, let's balance it out this year maybe?

Ps - my legs have gone, micky gray style!

If we can get two teams from this forum then we could try and mix those two sides up to give each an equal chance, but mixing all the players up from all teams would be very difficult as I'd expect those teams that are entering will want to play together.

Hopefully we'll be able to get -

AFC Owlstalk

Kev's Barmy Army

Land of Dire

OwlsOnline

A team from Mosborough Juniors (Daz?)

Another team from Owlstalk

I'll play mate

Used to play centre midfield in Rotherham academy

Nice one -

Land of Dire

1 Mancunian_Owl

2 SiJ

3 EcclesallOwl

4 Lloyd

5 WORKSOP_OWL

6 Babushka

7 Sharpey

8 Euse

9 Maldenowl

10 Hawkeye

11 Fraser

12 Tom

13 Tom2

14 swintonowl1999

Guest swintonowl1999

Wow bless him only just been aware of this now

Seems bad but at least he was doing something he loved

RIP fella

Guest swintonowl1999

Well, I didn't take a look at dates correctly mate. Thought it said September instead of August

I'm away on vacation for the 13&20th August